TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

FiTech 1200HP Unit Update

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FiTech 1200HP Unit Update
    Posted: Aug/10/2017 at 8:30pm
Well it has been a while since I got the 401 motor rebuilt and got the suspension work complete. So, I thought I would give everyone an update as I am almost done with working out the kinks. So many changes and so much to do. Anyway, The FiTech Go EFI 8 1200HP Power Adder is what I have. I had an issue with picking up noise on the coil sense pickup line (my fault I routed the wire with the coil feeds from the MSD Digital 6). So now I can actually pull timing or add timing depending on RPM and/or boost levels. So, my current base timing is set to about 10 degrees and I do have to change it to around 15 to get the best performance but once I got the timing control working you would not believe how much of a difference it made to performance. It was good before but this thing is just scary as all heck now. I mean, completely violent belongs on a track rather than the street kind of performance. I am seldom scared of a car but this this has me petrified. So, I am interested to see the dyno for it and dial it in even more as I am still erring on the side of caution with a max timing of 26.6 degrees. under boost. This may be a touch aggressive still but I have not wound it up tight yet and I have not been able to detect any spark knock. Long story short, I am really digging the FiTech unit and the performance seems very good and growing. I like that I can log a run and make an adjustment on the fly and also that the fuel curve is always learning and trying to hit your target AFR.

Well if any of you are considering one of these I would have to say it is worth the money to have the control at your fingertips. I am getting too old to get under the hood re-jetting and tweaking a carb. I can now do it from the comfort of a seat. You of course could get this type of function from other controller systems or EFI systems but for the price point it is tough to beat. Here are my favorite features.

Ability to tune from the handheld or a laptop
Tuning ability of fuel curve 
Tuning ability of timing curve 
Timing control for NOS or Boost
Tunable PWM for Electric fuel pump (save your pump while cruising around town)
Data logging and playback mode on a laptop

The list of tuning capability can go on quite a bit, idle, prime shot, choke, throttle position, throttle ramp, etc. etc.

The one thing I don't like is that the drivers for the K-LINE serial adapter only works on outdated windows versions and not on Windows 10 so I have to pull files over, manipulate them then transfer them back to the unit or use the handheld unit for realtime adjustments. All in all that is not enough of a problem and they may have updated drivers which would work but I have yet to call FiTech.

Great unit. I would recommend it.

RumblinFx4 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RumblinFx4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2017 at 5:46am
Despite all the negatives i keep hear from those around me i went out and purchased the FiTech Go600 EFI and have no plans of going back to a carb. This thing is awesome! 
spiritdude View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiritdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2017 at 8:56am
How much does it set a man back? I have several good carbs that I can sell to offset the price. I am seriously considering it for my 432 ci. build.
spiritdude
1982 Spirit-10.865 @123.16mph
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RumblinFx4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2017 at 2:22pm
The complete kit was 1100 on jegs
shootist View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2017 at 2:23pm
Well I bought my unit when they had the rebate running ($100 or $150 off I can't remember) but $1495 was the price for the Go EFI 8 minus the rebate. So about $1350-1400 was my cost. Just be sure you factor in the fuel system for any replacement. I was staring at a blow through carb and fuel system upgrade anyway with my project so with the rebate it wound up being about $200 more than what a carb would have cost and it was definitely worth the extra money.
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RumblinFx4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2017 at 2:27pm
Yeah and the cold start issue... Gone! And the fact that the tunability is at your finger tips is awesome.
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2017 at 7:49pm
I had the Quick Fuel QFI system before FiTech really started to market well. I had enough little issues some with it, some with me that I ended my up selling it. I learned a lot though and if I were doing it again, I'd definitely do a FiTech system.
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
jimd View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jimd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2017 at 7:56pm
I put the 1200 power adder on my 401. It really brought out the power. I had to change from radial tires to street slicks because I had no traction in 1st or 2nd gear .If anyone has problems or just questions, go to fitech owners on facebook. These guys are more helpful than fitech tech guys are.
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2017 at 1:52am
Anyone with a street car see a MPG improvement with a FiTech system? I didn't see a single MPG improvement with the Quick Fuel QFI system I used for a while over the Quick Fuel SS 680 vacuum secondary carb on there now. I do drive it pretty hard though.
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RumblinFx4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2017 at 4:59am
If I could keep my foot out of it my mpg''s might be better it's just so easy and sounds so good it's hard not to want to get on it
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic