TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - First run AMC Edelbrock AIR GAP Intake problems?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

First run AMC Edelbrock AIR GAP Intake problems?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First run AMC Edelbrock AIR GAP Intake problems?
    Posted: Mar/07/2019 at 11:06am
Anyone have a problem with any of the first produced Air Gap intakes, such as sealing, etc.? 
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2019 at 11:58am
I have an Air Gap from the very first production run of Air Gap castings (made in 2001) on my wife's 70 Javelin. It's been on the engine since 2001 but no problems with fit or sealing.     
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's car)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
EVF_Sportabout View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EVF_Sportabout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2019 at 3:46pm
Have one on a 304 no issues.
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2019 at 3:55pm
Had one; fairly early but may not have been first run, where it bound up on the shoulder that sticks out for the valve cover flange and caused an internal vacuum leak and sucked oil. It was binding on the casting above the intake port on one side. Milled it a bit, then fine. Just cost an extra intake gasket.
amxess View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2019 at 4:27pm
Thanks all. I think you may have found my problem Ken. I'm sucking oil somewhere, and it's not from PCV valve. Blowing white smoke. Just took it off. Have machine shop check it tomorrow.
53w View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 53w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2019 at 9:21pm
Mine sucks oil at high rpms closed throttle...got baffle it and still got problems...not too impressed...runs like dog shot in the rump....but dam..once under full closed carb, high rpm sucks oil...getting fustrsted...from company of that Ouchcailber ..they dropped the ball in R and D on that intake somewhereOuch

Edited by 53w - Mar/07/2019 at 9:23pm
jcisworthy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2019 at 3:32am
53W, 
Edelbrock is one of the better aftertmarket companies and they produce excellent products. My suspicion is something is wrong on your end not Edelbrock. 
Specializing in dyno services, engine building, and cylinder head porting

rbjracing.com
Phone Number 518-915-3203
69 ambassador 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2019 at 8:25am
Originally posted by 53w 53w wrote:

Mine sucks oil at high rpms closed throttle...got baffle it and still got problems...not too impressed...runs like dog shot in the rump....but dam..once under full closed carb, high rpm sucks oil...getting fustrsted...from company of that Ouchcailber ..they dropped the ball in R and D on that intake somewhereOuch

You do have the valley pan gasket in place as well as an upgraded PCV baffle, right?  Pull the PCV baffle off and put a wad of stainless Chore Boy in there, then put the Baffle back on.  That will fix it.  You may be able to stuff some in from the top through the PCV hole.

Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

79 F-350 Super Camper Special

PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2019 at 3:59pm
Hmm...  yeah... they are on stock iron AMC Intake Manifolds as well as aftermarket,
those 4 little "bumps" along the heads, 2 on each side...
I seem to recall also having a little "sealing issue" caused with them one time...
there is a longways machined ledge on the heads that can contact those bumps iirc...
Ken Parkman, may I ask, are these the area you are referring to ?
And as mentioned before, Intake Bolt Holes are blind tapped,
make sure bolts are clamping before bottoming out, not too long.

White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2019 at 4:30pm
Sorry to high jack this post,

I have a question about those four little "lumps" in the red circles.

Are these keying points for the machining process ?

I've often wondered that.

[/QUOTE]
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic