TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

firming up seat in a 64 classsic?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68-73 amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2017 at 8:47pm
On my 73 AMX rear seat s shaped springs , I tyed the springs together as much as needed with nylon string to make them work as one. Then cover springs with burlap and sew burlap to springs at various points on the flat part and all along the bottom of the seat  frame. Add new foam and reinstall seat cover. It will make seat feel like new. If you don't want to take seat cover off then I would put lots of foam under seat and rivet a seat pan out of lite gauge sheet metal to support the foam .
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/08/2017 at 9:30pm
Make sure to use high-density foam and tie the springs together as previously mentioned.  A previous owner of my '72 Javelin reuphostered using cheap, soft foam and it's like sitting in a hole.  
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2017 at 8:41am
If you go to the COMPLETED listings on eBay for AMC cars look for the 1968 American 440.  In the pictures you'll see the front and back seats without a bit of burlap, foam, fabric or vinyl.  Just the "beautiful" complex coil spring construction.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
dogbone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2017 at 12:32pm
I finally went out and took a photo of my 64 Cross Country Classic 770 seat cushion. I only pulled the driver side. It is coil spring. Not sure why I thought it was S spring, maybe the rear is S? I didn't check it. 

Still need a solution. Thinking maybe I can slip some high density foam between the springs. Or possibly make some little rubber spring helpers to insert between the coils like they do on suspension springs.

64 Cross Country Wagon 770, 79 VW Scirocco, 70 Porsche 914-6, 82 Subaru Brat, 1991 Autozam
2beersmaybe3 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2beersmaybe3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2017 at 1:05pm
Well, it seems I'm the only one who got non coil,but it was a 63 that I took seats out of Saturday. I like the idea of a pan(Not a baking sheet) or similar screwed to bottom of seat so only sags so much. Good thread.
1963 Classic 770 Cross Country
1964 Classic 660 4door
1964 Classic 770 2 door sedan
68-73 amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 68-73 amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/09/2017 at 6:36pm
Anything you can do to support the bottom of springs will help . After looking at your seat, If you can't put a seat pan in. ( bottom of springs isn't flat across whole seat ? ) Try using  wire to tie springs bottoms together and then to seat frames. The seat pan idea worked great along with new foam on top of old seat foam plus foam on top of seat pan on my 73 Javelin bucket seats, 
2beersmaybe3 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2beersmaybe3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2017 at 9:18pm
I rechecked mine as well, lots of coils. Front and back. I don't know what I thought I saw that made me think otherwise.
1963 Classic 770 Cross Country
1964 Classic 660 4door
1964 Classic 770 2 door sedan
Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2017 at 9:42pm
If you can find a used mattress, with springs approximately the same length and diameter, you can insert them between the original springs and hog ring them (or wire tie) to the support wires and other springs. Your just doubling down the firmness, just like a high spring count mattress.
Usually just the center and front areas need the extra support.
dogbone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2017 at 8:27am
that's a good thought. Seems like there is always an old mattress around. I'll have to check and see if the springs are usable.
64 Cross Country Wagon 770, 79 VW Scirocco, 70 Porsche 914-6, 82 Subaru Brat, 1991 Autozam
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic