TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Finally, American Racing Headers for your AMC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A.R. Headers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2018 at 3:02pm
MyRambler,

I really appreciate your help. I'll be reaching out to Dan for insight ASAP. Thank you so much.

Nick
American Racing Headers
100% Made In USA Since 2005
6t8amxetc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6t8amxetc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2018 at 5:28pm
Didn't "one bad rambler" say he lives minutes from ARH? And he has a 64 Rambler wagon with V-8 and a Concord wagon with V-8?
Just trying to be helpful. Anything to get these small car headers done!SmileSmile
one bad rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2018 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by 6t8amxetc 6t8amxetc wrote:

Didn't "one bad rambler" say he lives minutes from ARH? And he has a 64 Rambler wagon with V-8 and a Concord wagon with V-8?
Just trying to be helpful. Anything to get these small car headers done!SmileSmile
I live aprox. 1 mile from there shop..my 64 isn`t a good mock up candidate due to the fact it has no strut rods...The Concord is in it`s final assembly stages(working on it 7 days a week)And i would like to hit the cruises with both wagons this year side by side... 
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
one bad rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2018 at 6:13pm
My 64 American and Concord defiantly have different fire wall`s...and the tunnel is slightly different also...There both AMC powered with 727`s in them..The 64 needed a little extra room on the D/side to clear the shifter linkage but the Concord has ample room...the main question is are the toe boards the same.....At this point the 2 cars are 15 miles apart so i can`t look and measure them
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2018 at 12:26pm
I can say that 69 Rambler and 77 Hornet are extremely similar. I have had the Hooker 7105 and Hedman 98310 in both and the installation is the same and has the same problems IIRC. Have used various transmissions in both cars without much problem. The 727 pan rail is close with the 7105.

Installing and removing header and starter on passenger side is extremely challenging on the small body car. The header with a removable #8 primary is a lot easier, but of course that creates it's own problems. The size of the stock starter, and the required space to pull it forward to get through the pilot hole is a huge issue, and badly limits the design.

A suggestion would be to choose an available and reasonably priced mini-starter as a requirement if that would allow a better header design. Not all starter configurations work with all headers. A couple more suggestions would be to make sure the headers would clear the Canton oil pan and a steel bellhousing.
A.R. Headers View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A.R. Headers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2018 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by Ken_Parkman Ken_Parkman wrote:

I can say that 69 Rambler and 77 Hornet are extremely similar. I have had the Hooker 7105 and Hedman 98310 in both and the installation is the same and has the same problems IIRC. Have used various transmissions in both cars without much problem. The 727 pan rail is close with the 7105.

Installing and removing header and starter on passenger side is extremely challenging on the small body car. The header with a removable #8 primary is a lot easier, but of course that creates it's own problems. The size of the stock starter, and the required space to pull it forward to get through the pilot hole is a huge issue, and badly limits the design.

A suggestion would be to choose an available and reasonably priced mini-starter as a requirement if that would allow a better header design. Not all starter configurations work with all headers. A couple more suggestions would be to make sure the headers would clear the Canton oil pan and a steel bellhousing.

Ken, I appreciate the insight. The 66 Rambler we'll be working with is a 4 speed with a Lakewood bellhousing. It does have a mini starter though I'm not sure which one at this time. We're partial to Power Master XS Power starters on all our classic muscle car header offerings. They seem to be the most popular and the fact that they provide adjustability is a major plus.

Like I mentioned previously, we will make room for the 727 trans and ground clearance will be optimized for sure. I did get to speak with Dan Curtis, (nice guy by the way) and he was very helpful with information. Thanks Dan and all that are participating with this thread. We truly want to be the single best choice for headers on these great cars. Our first production run of big body headers are slowly shipping out. I'm sure many will post with feedback.

Nick
American Racing Headers
100% Made In USA Since 2005
69 SCRambler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 SCRambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2018 at 11:07am
Will these be offered with a polished finished too? Smile
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2018 at 11:20am
Anyone know the specifics of what makes a header suit a big-body car vs. small-body? I've had the Hedman 98310 on both. I know the Hooker 7103s are spaced too wide to work on the small body cars (barely clears strut rod bracket on my Javelin), but will a small body header work on the big body cars ... or does it tuck up too tight to the firewall or floor pan?

Curious since the current AR headers don't look like they'll work with my Armando oil pan and they appear to have a bit of room to tuck-up closer to the floor pan. If they make a set of 1 3/4" or 1 7/8" for small-body cars with more pan clearance, maybe they'd also work for e.g. a Javelin with a wide-sump pan.

Mini-starter as a requirement for fit would think is not a big issue for those spending $1600+ for a set of headers.

Thanks,RD
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2018 at 8:17pm
I've seen the 7105 1 3/4 on big body cars. IIRC you have to notch the passenger engine mount and there might be some other small clearancing, but not bad. No good for a guy who is looking for bolt on.
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/09/2018 at 9:33pm
Interesting. On the 7103s, the driver's side engine mount needs trimmed to clear.   Hooker details the modification in their installation instructions.  

Thanks, RD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415>
  Share Topic