TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - favorite midwest machine shop for Gen 1 engines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

favorite midwest machine shop for Gen 1 engines

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a075923 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: favorite midwest machine shop for Gen 1 engines
    Posted: Oct/19/2018 at 10:31am
Hi,

Have a machine shop that did a great job on your Gen one rebuild?

Thanks

Edited by a075923 - Oct/19/2018 at 10:44am
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2018 at 12:56pm
What part of the midwest? Midwest covers alot of ground....
a075923 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a075923 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2018 at 1:23pm
I'm SW of Kansas City, however, I'd travel eight/ten hours for the right shop.  With the right recommendations maybe a little more.  That ought to cover a fair chunk of the Midwest.  Smile   
The key being a shop with extensive experience with Gen one engines.

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2018 at 4:09pm
I know only one shop. A&K machine shop in desoto MO. He does build AMC engines. He has done Gen 1, but extensively? I dont know. But he is good and hes the only one I know of. There is another machine shop, but I dont know what their experience is with AMC..
a075923 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a075923 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2018 at 4:54pm
Thanks, I'll have to check...I think Desoto is south of St. Louis

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2018 at 8:27pm
It is
turbo View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/19/2018 at 8:45pm
Don's auto in Kenosha.......thread closed
they call me Capt RETIRED!
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/20/2018 at 3:45am
Yeah. You wait until I move back to central Kansas like I want to do within the next year and then you pay me to build it. 

Anything I didn't do myself while I lived there I took to Keever Auto & Machine in Hutchinson, Kansas. I've had them perform all kinds of machine work, including sleeving cylinders, decking blocks, reconditioning rods, and balancing. Always top notch quality work. Jim Keever is an extremely nice man and he knew enough about the AM engines to make me feel comfortable. He's not an "AMC guy" but he's built a few of them. I don't know if he knows his way around the Gen-I or not, but he's smart and I think he could do a good job.

There isn't really anything special about building a Gen-I. What I mean is they don't have any real hidden snags to hang up someone who hasn't built a few. They're pretty straight forward, simple, and everything is detailed in the factory service manual. I think the Gen-II/III is actually harder to build successfully because they DO have hidden snags that have to looked out for and can be easily missed by someone who hasn't built a few. The only real thing to look out for on the Gen-I is to clean out the rocker arm shafts of sludge, make sure the bolts for the rocker arms go in the right order, and to know where to find parts. You can get parts to rebuild them, just not always from EPWI. 
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic