TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Falcon Global 343 Pistons

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Falcon Global 343 Pistons
    Posted: Jun/21/2018 at 6:25am
Since it appears that nobody has ever seen these in the flesh, here are my Shiny new cast 343 flat top pistons from Falcon Global. They came in a Rebuilders Choice box, so I guess now we know who makes them, pretty sure I've seen that mentioned elsewhere. I was pleasantly surprised to see the coated skirts. Compression height appears to be 1.600" (edited), which is good news (compared to Egge at 1.570"). Regarding crank clearance in a 360, distance from the bottom of pin hole, to the bottom of the pin boss is around 0.350", the factory AM piston that came out measured more like 0.300", but I have another set of aftermarket 360 pistons here and they also measure 0.350", so hopefully no issues there.

If anybody needs any other measurements or details, let me know?

Edited by WesternRed - Jun/22/2018 at 12:37am
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2018 at 12:41am
With some better measuring equipment, compression height is actually 1.600, this even better (updated the previous post).

The valve pockets measure up at 5cc. The weight of the piston is 629g and pin an additional 166g.

I'm not sure what a factory piston weighs, but I have some unknown brand stock replacement 360 pistons at 40 over and they are 618g plus 143g for the pin (pin is about 3/16" shorter and maybe a bit thinner in wall thickness)
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2018 at 11:55am
That is good to hear that those have the 1.600 Compression Height.
Would imagine you are anxious to get it back together with those pistons...
1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2018 at 8:40pm
Wow. Pretty cool. I had heard that these pistons we're good and that Falcon Global is a reliable source for our engines.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2018 at 9:41pm
Someone else did mention that they bought pistons from Falcon 18 months or so ago and they were not Rebuilders Choice brand.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2018 at 6:32am
Originally posted by WesternRed WesternRed wrote:

Someone else did mention that they bought pistons from Falcon 18 months or so ago and they were not Rebuilders Choice brand.

It makes sense that they might use different manufacturers. They probably work with various vendors who will give them the best deal on a batch of pistons made to their specs. Generally Falcon Global has a good rep. I haven't seen much negative about anyone's experiences with them. Maybe someone will chime in now that they are in a forum post again. 

PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2018 at 9:58am
For a low cost re-fresh re-ring and hone build those Pistons make really good compression in a 360.
The top row is with early closed chamber 50.60 cc Cylinder Heads, btm row is ~58 cc Heads
and both with .003 shorter re-conditioned (new rod bolts) Connecting Rod Center-To-Center.
Thinking is a "big" cam with "late" intake closing "wants" +/-8.5 ? to 1 Dynamic CR for pump gas...

Edited by PHAT69AMX - Jun/27/2018 at 10:38am
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2018 at 10:30am
Originally posted by PHAT69AMX PHAT69AMX wrote:

For a low cost re-fresh re-ring and hone build those Pistons make really good compression in a 360.

What CR will the cast piston be good up to? 11:1 and up seems high. My friend just built a 360 with cast pistons at 8.9:1 CR and the small chamber 291 heads. He dyno'd it at almost 400hp but detune'd it down on regular pump gas once it was in the car. He said he did that to keep them safe from detonation.

Also... with the larger later model 62CC 344 head... the CR with these pistons would be a little lower still too. And seeing that there are so many old low compression Jeep 360's laying around... for not a lot of money... these pistons would be a good deal for a lot of guys out there.

Edited by 1982AMCConcord - Jun/27/2018 at 10:33am
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2018 at 10:40am
Added a little more to previous post...
Thinking is a "big" cam with "late" intake closing "wants" +/-8.5 ? to 1 DYNAMIC CR for pump gas...
Chart shows just "pure plain strait up" mechanical nominal dimensional Static Compression Ratio...
Other than milling, Bowl Work and stuff on cylinder heads usually increases cc's and lowers static CR.
Not that I've built a bunch of engines, but from the couple, it seemed "easier" for low cost budgets,
to start out dimensionally with "high" compression and "back down" rather than increase CR...
As just a hobbyist, redline at 6k or maybe 6.5k (stk rods etc) would think cast Pistons are ok.
My goal used to be ~3200 lbs, 12.00 sec 1/4 mile, full exhaust, pump gas, street car,
stock block, low buck, home garage, cam, intake, carb, header swap...  HP required for
3200 lbs and 12.00 sec dictates Cam, Cam determines Dynamic CR, which determines Static CR. 

Edited by PHAT69AMX - Jun/27/2018 at 10:58am
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2018 at 5:50pm
I'm going with option 2, using 58cc heads. I was trying to find a good guide for interpreting dynamic compression numbers, there used to be a good tech note on the United Engine and Machine (Keith Black) website, but it is gone. Using their calculator with my existing cam, dynamic compression will be around 8.6:1. I will be using Aussie 98 octane fuel, which is the same as the US spec 93 octane I believe.

The good thing with these pistons is the 1.60" compression height, compared to Egge's spec at 1.57, which is worth about 0.5 on compression and would put the pistons way down the bore, which isn't really ideal.

Would be interesting to know if the flow benefits of unshrouding the valves would outweigh the subsequent drop in compression.

Measured cam specs with the old worn out timing chain, will replace that and hopefully install at 106 ICL, so all numbers will be advanced 3 degrees:

Intake:
Open 32 BTDC, Close 86 ABDC, Duration 298
0.050", 7 BTDC, 45 ABDC, Duration 232
Intake center line 109
Valve Lift 0.510" 

Exhaust
Open 73 BBDC Close 49 ATDC, Duration 302
0.050", 48 BBDC, 10 ATDC, Duration 238
Exhaust center line 110
Valve lift 0.510"

LSA 110

I'll be limited by the stock rods (with new bolts), so the cast pistons should be fine I think.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic