TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Factory Pushrods

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babycakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Factory Pushrods
    Posted: Mar/14/2018 at 9:39pm
Can factory pushrods be used with guide plates?
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2018 at 4:58am
"Can you?" and "Should you?" are sometimes two different questions.
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
Babycakes View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babycakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2018 at 7:43am
I wasn't sure if the factory had hardened them.
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2018 at 10:46am
My experience is that they were not hardened, at least the ones I’ve come across. I made the mistake once and the guideplates wore significantly into the pushrods making a reduced diameter band the width of valve lift on the pushrods. And I’m sure the engine enjoyed the metal shavings.
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2018 at 4:37pm
If all is correct should the pushrod even contact the guide plate? Or is there that much play in the stock rockers...  I've never really thought about it, as there is no need for guide plates with the stock valve train...
Frank Swygert
Babycakes View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babycakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2018 at 6:53pm
Does the early non bridged heads require hardened pushrods?
amc67rogue View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amc67rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2018 at 4:02pm
Back in the mid 70s I used a solid lifter cam in a 343 with stock rockers. After a couple drag racing events I was checking the valve lash. I noticed that some of the rockers had a lot of side motion at the push rod. Pulled the rockers and pushrods and some of the guide slots in the 291 heads were worn away. I needed guide plates. I used the stamped steel Pontiac plates. I cut them into individual units. I took the guide plates and the stock AMC pushrods too work, they had a Rockwell hardness tester. The plates and the rods checked out at 55 on the C scale. I installed and only had one PR got damaged. Checked out the problem and found a burr on the plate, removed it and no more problems. I'll assume the stud style rocker push rods are hardened. After that problem I also went to Crane roller rockers. You cannot use the stock rockers on straight studs with a solid cam. When using guide plates check the slots and remove any burrs and sharp edges.
Keith Coggins 67Rogue X code
Babycakes View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babycakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2018 at 6:51pm
Thank you  
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2018 at 7:23pm
I had a similar problem to amc67Rogue. I am using a Group 19 camshaft and matching NOS valvetrain. I found that after a while I was having a similar issue with the pushrod wearing into the guide slot. I used a set of guideplates for a small block chevy, which are separate for each pushrod. It has been working fine for 10-12 thousand miles and I have checked it periodically for wear and the pushrods seem to be holding up fine. They were billed as being "hardened", so perhaps they are a significant improvement on the factory items.

Chris

PS: The Group 19 cam is hydraulic, but it is higher lift than the factory item.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic