TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Factory paint in 1965

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raccoonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2017 at 10:36am
Would a gallon of primer/sealer and a gallon of color be enough to do the whole car? 
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2017 at 11:04am
Originally posted by Raccoonman Raccoonman wrote:

Would a gallon of primer/sealer and a gallon of color be enough to do the whole car? 

yes
I prefer a single stage paint, it looks more period correct than base coat clear coat.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
Raccoonman View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raccoonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2017 at 12:08pm
I didn't know they still made it that way. (not a paint and body guy at all, you can tell). Still, how much primer and actual color to do the whole car (less jambs, since they're the color I'm going for)?
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raccoonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2017 at 12:10pm
sorry, I didn't realized you'd already answered that! Cool. Now, to learn HVLP painting on the run....
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raccoonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2017 at 12:15pm
So, in my infinite ignorance of things paint related; single stage would be urethane, or acrylic? Best question: If I go to the paint store and tell the the results I'm looking for, would they be able to fix me up?
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2017 at 12:15pm

..... Cool. Now, to learn HVLP painting on the run....

Follow my posts in projects, Ollie's Postal Jeep. I am in process of giving it jack leg body and paint job.

Buy those cheap Harbor Freight paint guns and have fun.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
http://theamcforum.com/forum/rapid-deliveryollies-postal-jeep_topic67223.html

Edited by Ollie - Oct/16/2017 at 12:30pm
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2017 at 12:22pm

.........If I go to the paint store and tell the the results I'm looking for, would they be able to fix me up?

Stick with one brand paint and know what u want....yes. I like Dupont and I go the cheapest, but its good paint. I like Nason Acrylic.

A urethane primer is ok for me, but the secret is the primer, a better one is better.

Remember the primer and top coat have to be compatible.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2017 at 4:51pm
I would steer as far away from a harbor Freight paint gun as I could get,  you won't have any fun with one.  It like trying to hunt with a gun that hits 6 inches off from your aim point,  in different directions every time you shoot.
  You won't know if the faults you see come from the gun, you,  the product,  or your prep.

You can get single stage paint in any paint, lacquer, enamel, acrylic enamel, or urethane.
 You can get acrylic lacquer, acrylic enamel,  or acrylic urethane,  so just saying acrylic tells the paint store nothing.

I've paid over $700 for a spray gun,   sounds like a luxury,  but it paid for itself in about a year in reduced paint wastage,  and the labor it saved me in getting a excellent paint finish. 

66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2017 at 7:02pm
I'm not trying to get you to buy a $700 spraygun,   just invest at least $100 in one,  it will pay for itself in the paint you won't waste.  I've seen some spray guns that seem more efficient at polluting the air than putting paint on a surface.

As for how much primer you'll need ?  That depends entirely on how much work, bodywork,  etc. your're doing on the car.

How much paint ?  A  gallon of most colors should do any car.   Some colors cover better than others.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raccoonman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/16/2017 at 7:46pm
The whole exterior will need sanded down to bare metal and a little rust repair done before primer and paint. The hood ought to be replaced, but I will try to repair the front edge first. The sides are really the only semi solid finish left, and they're rough. I've rattle canned a couple of BMW 2002's before, just to get them all one color overall.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic