TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

extend the alternator pulley 1/16"?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2020 at 11:32am
Roger has it - IF that is what is happening to cause the belt to squeal - it could be that the regulator failed - providing full field current, maxing out the alternator, or a poor connection, typically the ground connection from the regulator to the alternator since the regulator does NOT ground to the chassis where it mounts, it takes its only ground from the alternator. If that connection is poor, if there's voltage drop, it senses a reduced voltage and ups the field trying to up the output to compensate. So if the regulator connections are bad, if there is voltage drop at the voltage regulator connections, if they aren't clean, especially the black ground, but even the orange lead at the regulator or alternator, it can also cause it to put out too much and heavily load the alternator - cranking up the voltage and leading to belt squeal.

OK - pics of a spacer - First is the alternator with the nut, lock washer, pulley, and fan removed showing the stock spacer and woodruff key in the shaft. You would NOT remove the fan - I'm just doing this to show the order of parts normally there in a stock system. 
On a stock alternator the spacer goes on to space the fan the exact distance needed from the front frame. You'll leave that spacer, you'll leave the fan and you'll leave the key in place in the shaft. 
You would remove only the nut, lock washer and the pulley. 
You would put the 1/8" spacer over the shaft against the fan, then put the pulley back, then the lock washer then the nut.
The bottom picture shows the front of the pulley - IF there aren't enough threads to get things back on as needed, one option is to cut the front hub of the pulley back to give more room for the lock washerr and the nut - there's plenty of meat there as shown.

Stock spacer and woodruff key-  leave these in place, leave the fan on the shaft, it's remove to show the stock spacer and key in place more easily - 

Slide 1/8" spacer over shaft. I made a "keyway" in the spacer so the key could stay in place. They can be a real pain in the posterior to remove - seriously hard to remove at times. Best to not mess with that key if you don't have to. Even putting the key back is literally a press fit into the shaft. 
I made the spacer using a stock Motorola rear spacer from a 1964 alternator as they used a thicker-walled spacer back then. It allowed for cutting the notch for the key, leaving plenty of thickness to clamp and grip when things were put back. The keyway in the spacer isn't pretty - I used a file and hacksaw blade to cut it - it was faster that way LOL.

Here is the 1/8" spacer on the shaft behind the pulley showing how it all goes back, in what order and how it would move the pulley out and leave the fan exactly where it needs to stay to move air.

And finally showing the front of the pulley and how there's plenty of material if it was necessary to machine or cut some off the front to allow room for the lock washer and nut to go back on and engage in enough threads. 
I suppose I could go ahead and cut a pulley, re-plate it, and send it along if you sent me back your pulley in exchange. I'm running low on good pulleys that aren't pitted and nasty. I'd need to know the size. Two sizes were used - 2 7/8 and 2 5/8" diameter as measured across from rim to rim.

bikerfox View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikerfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2020 at 11:43pm
Thanks for the detailed description and pics, Bill.

Although when I obtained the Jav I cleaned all contacts, 
I'll do it one more time just to be sure.  My volt gauge
says 14.2 volts or so, but I can put a meter on it to get 
a second opinion.

If that doesn't work, then spacer it is!!
1969 Rebel SST (1970-1987)
1968 AMX (2005-2011)
1969 SC/Rambler (2011-2019)
1970 Javelin (2019 to ?)"Jane"
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2020 at 10:04pm
I've been down with flu and other crud, multiple doctor stuff, dizzy just from all the scans and appointments, but spacer is no problem, have one ready, and can do a pulley real quick if needed, too. 

Luckily the cats can't get it - I hope - a bunch of cats laying around doing nothing - oh, wait.......... 
bikerfox View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikerfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2020 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

I've been down with flu and other crud, multiple doctor stuff, dizzy just from all the scans and appointments, but spacer is no problem, have one ready, and can do a pulley real quick if needed, too. 

Luckily the cats can't get it - I hope - a bunch of cats laying around doing nothing - oh, wait.......... 

Sorry you aren't feeling well.....corona virus??  just kidding.....hope you feel better soon.

Steve

PS.  PM sent.
1968 AMX (2005-2011)
bikerfox View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikerfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2020 at 2:46pm
BillD--PM sent regarding alternator spacer.
1968 AMX (2005-2011)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic