TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Ex's 70 Jav build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Extract2th Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ex's 70 Jav build
    Posted: Dec/10/2011 at 11:32pm
I have been tinkering on this project for the last year and a half, but since I am now getting into the more involved restoration of this car I thought I would document it here.  I am going to get caught up to where I currently am over the next number of posts. 

I bought this Javelin from Buster (amxmachine on here) in August of 2010.  At the time, it was a driver although rough both cosmetically as well as it had carb issues that would keep it from idling.

Here are pictures as I got her:

It looks like the car may have been in a chain collision as it had damage both on the rear valance and into the trunk as well as a bent and mangled front bumper, bumper bracketing, and grill.

Edited by Extract2th - Dec/10/2011 at 11:42pm
Shane Blake
Current Cars & Projects:
1968 AMX
1970 Gremlin
1970 Javelin SST
1973 Javelin
1977 Hornet AMX
1979 Spirit AMX
1988 Eagle wagon
Parts Cars/Future Projects:
1970 Javelin SST, 1972 Gremlin
Extract2th View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Extract2th Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2011 at 11:52pm
My plan was simply to drive and enjoy this car for a little bit before I jumped to heavily into the project.  The first concern was the carb.  I rebuilt the carb which made the car much more enjoyable to drive as it now wouldn't die on idle and would start as it should.  I also did a pertronix I conversion on it, which significantly smoothed the acceleration and improved the ride. I replaced the front drums with the scarebird conversion kit although I used a 71-74 manual disc master cylinder and it worked great.  The car still burned oil but my goal is to eventually swap out the 304 and M44 transmission and replace it with a rebuilt 360 and T10 that I had acquired.

With the car mostly reliable I then focused on the curb appeal for the car.  It would be banged up no matter how I went about it, but I eventually intended to have the car stripped and bodywork done right.  Until that time I was looking to the biggest improvements, which were accomplished with a set of redone slots wheels and to rebuild the front damaged areas.  I managed to find a freshly chromed front bumper and a set of brackets to replace the bent and mangled ones I had.  I also had acquired my 70 BBB Javelin parts car which is rusted beyond restorability but had a good repairable grill.  The grill repairs were done with Plastex as others had discussed.  I had various cracks to repair as well as rebuilt all of the tabs with that stuff.  It worked great.  This is how it turned out:

Edited by Extract2th - Dec/11/2011 at 12:25am
Shane Blake
Current Cars & Projects:
1968 AMX
1970 Gremlin
1970 Javelin SST
1973 Javelin
1977 Hornet AMX
1979 Spirit AMX
1988 Eagle wagon
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Extract2th Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2011 at 12:03am
With the curb appeal looking better, I now had to ride in comfort.  Most of the interior panels were from mismatched years of Javelins.  The sail panels were from the 68-69, The rear upholstered areas below the quarter window were also 68-69.  The driver and passenger doors were 71-74 Javelin AMX panel.  About the only thing 70 was the worn out seats and the dash.  I decided quickly to convert the interior to black as most of that was present from the BBB 70 parts car I had.  I stripped that car and refurbished the dash.  Added some goodies, like the 140 speedo/tach cluster, and clock, as well as replaced the modern stereo with an original AM radio from the parts car (doesn't work yet, but looks good!).  The cluster was completely redone by Rodhhrod on here at a good price.  He did a great job.  I was very pleased with the results.  The tach was modernized rather than sticking with the old movements.

This is how that turned out:

Edited by Extract2th - Dec/11/2011 at 12:08am
Shane Blake
Current Cars & Projects:
1968 AMX
1970 Gremlin
1970 Javelin SST
1973 Javelin
1977 Hornet AMX
1979 Spirit AMX
1988 Eagle wagon
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Extract2th Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2011 at 12:39am
I enjoyed the car to the end of this driving season.  I have lined up a local bodyshop to do the bodywork as I do not have the interest or facility yet to be able to do that type of work.  It likely will take quite a bit to straighten this car out with rust issues in the rockers present as well as all the dents in the side of it as well as the heavily dented trunk and rear end.  I have found a replacement passenger door since the one that came with it was heavily dented and filled.  I have also located replacement front fenders with primarily surface rust to replace the rusted out ones on this car in these pics.  I also have the ram air hood and most of the ram air guts to eventually make this car a donahue style clone.

So I have started stripping the car:

Here is the heaviest damaged area:

Edited by Extract2th - Dec/11/2011 at 12:43am
Shane Blake
Current Cars & Projects:
1968 AMX
1970 Gremlin
1970 Javelin SST
1973 Javelin
1977 Hornet AMX
1979 Spirit AMX
1988 Eagle wagon
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Extract2th Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2011 at 1:01am
So now onto the questions:

1) See: http://theamcforum.com/forum/6869-jav-amx-clutch-linkage_topic35015.html

2) My parts 70 Javelin is a floor shift automatic.  Since I am converting this car to a manual with a T10, is the steering column the same between a floor shift auto and a manual car?  Neither of these is tilt, but if I can use the column in my parts car instead of searching for a column out of manual car it will certainly make things easier.

3) What wiring changes will I need to make to convert the car from the column auto to the floorshift manual.  I know I will need the backup switch for my hurst shifter.  I imagine I will eliminate the neutral safety switch, but specifics would be helpful since this is the first project I am taking down to the bare bones and back on my own.

4) Is someone has their manual 70 Javelin or AMX apart could they make me a template for cutting my transmission tunnel for the hurst shifter.  I would like it to be as close to the stock location as possible.

Thanks,
Shane Blake
Current Cars & Projects:
1968 AMX
1970 Gremlin
1970 Javelin SST
1973 Javelin
1977 Hornet AMX
1979 Spirit AMX
1988 Eagle wagon
Ohio AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ohio AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2011 at 9:29am
Nice project! It sure got tagged pretty hard in the rear but looks repairable. Is that right door the one from Madison?
1940 Hupmobile Skylark
1968 Javelin future Pro Street
1969 AMX 290/auto (first car)
1997 Dodge SS/T 5.9L
AMO# 983
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Extract2th Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2011 at 9:45am
Yes the passenger door I picked up in Madison, OH as well as a number of other things.  I also got the Ram air hood and Ram air guts there as well as the complete 360/T10 powertrain he had rebuilt to the posi rearend. I also picked up one of my fenders from him as well. Maybe I should have just picked up the body too as it was pretty rust free, but what fun is that.  I already had this one that I wanted to make my own.
Shane Blake
Current Cars & Projects:
1968 AMX
1970 Gremlin
1970 Javelin SST
1973 Javelin
1977 Hornet AMX
1979 Spirit AMX
1988 Eagle wagon
Ohio AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ohio AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2011 at 11:46am
If the rest of the blue parts are like the other door plan on having some media blasting done. Or buy a couple cases of beer and have a sanding party!
1940 Hupmobile Skylark
1968 Javelin future Pro Street
1969 AMX 290/auto (first car)
1997 Dodge SS/T 5.9L
AMO# 983
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Extract2th Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2011 at 4:18pm
I am thinking about just having it media blasted prior to taking it to the body shop.  The ram air hood also had multiple layers when stripping by hand.  Media blasting would definitely give a better idea of what lies beneath this "pristine" paint :P
Shane Blake
Current Cars & Projects:
1968 AMX
1970 Gremlin
1970 Javelin SST
1973 Javelin
1977 Hornet AMX
1979 Spirit AMX
1988 Eagle wagon
will333 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will333 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2011 at 10:13am
And the color will be?????
1968 AMX 390 Automatic
Turbo Silver outside,
red on the inside
"The Orbiter"

A Scott Campbell restoration
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
  Share Topic