TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Exhaust/Muffler?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greasygt III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2018 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by george w george w wrote:

I concur on the Turbo mufflers.

Me too.
83 Spirit GT
79 Ranchero GT 460
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2018 at 4:43pm
Me three on the turbos.  Mine are on a 69 Rambler with a 360, log style exhaust manifolds, 2 1/4" H pipe configuration.  They sound great with no drone.
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2018 at 5:55pm
Me four.  
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2018 at 9:23pm
i put together a "temporary" exhaust using a red 36" glasspack from Summit, shorty, exit in front of the rear wheel. to get me to the muffler shop and some slack while i got the car together... lasted three years! 

and in that time it went from nice tone, slightly loud, to harsh and raspy, and LOUD. it happened fairly slowly, but last summer and fall it was making driving the car a lot less pleasant to be in.

we have a great, pro, exhaust shop in Burbank, Morse Muffler, that put together a quality "corvair turbo muffer" (inexpensive, but not cheap), did a fantastic job of hanging it and isolating it (has one of those flex sections) and WOW!, sounds great and in the 4, 5, 6 months it's been, completely great.

routing and especially hanging and isolating as as important as the rest.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2018 at 1:26am
Originally posted by LakesideRamblin LakesideRamblin wrote:

They sound great with no drone.
That is what is great about turbos: they are quiet inside the car because they remove the droning bass that vibrates the car and gives you a headache. That bass is irritating and turbos seem to filter that out. 

They're like the antithesis of glasspacks. LOL
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2018 at 2:04am
There are sites on the net that give supposedly unbiased assessments of various brands of mufflers using flow benches and such. CFM is measured comparing mufflers of similar size and pipe diameters from various manufacturers. They also have decibel ratings in some cases. Some links were on a previous thread on this site a while back. If performance is a priority it is worth checking them out.

Chris
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2018 at 9:11am
This was one of those muffler comparisons:

I have Hooker MaxFlow mufflers on my Javelin. They are a big-case glass pack with straight-through perforated tube. In the test, they are one of the quietest at idle and 2000rpm, but loud at full throttle.

On my car they are only reasonably quiet between 2200-2500 rpm ... still too loud to listen comfortably to the radio. They drone at lower rpms and are LOUD with much throttle ... but I also have 3" pipes from headers back including x-pipe, mufflers and tailpipes.

As others have stated, tough to judge without installing them on your car. If you want it quiet, get the biggest case muffler that fits and use smaller diameter pipes ... but you will sacrifice a bit of performance.

Edit:Removed broken Photobucket link 
Hope this helps,RD.

Edited by Red Devil - Jan/11/2018 at 10:27pm
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2018 at 12:19pm
All those mufflers are only like 5-10 decibels quieter than a straight pipe. Why have a muffler at all at that point? Just so you can point to it at the state inspection and say it exists?

I'm just an old fart inside. I like my cars dead quiet. I don't want to hear what is happening under the hood, I just want it to happen. I don't need to hear it to know it is there.

But sometimes it's fun to mess with people. I like my exhaust systems with twin mufflers and twin resonators to make them absolutely dead silent, but with an electric cutout on the header pipe so I can fool people into thinking I have something really mean under the hood. That way I can have my dead silent luxury car while driving but pull up to the car show blowing everybody's eardrums out with my 110 horsepower V6 that sounds like a cammed big block V8 because of the odd firing order. Everybody thinks I have a monster 455 under the hood. All I have to do is leave the hood down and it will actually get some respect. Raise the hood and everybody walks away. 

1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
kenoshakicker View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenoshakicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2018 at 8:02pm
I have Flowmaster 40's on my Javelin.  They were on the car that I  bought for the motor so I just used them.  I like the sound, especially when the car is just idling.  If I would have had to buy mufflers, I was going to use Flowmaster 10's or short glasspacks.  The louder the better.Smile
one bad rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2018 at 8:57pm
Also take into account that all glass packs are not the same....some have a perforated tube only part way on one side...some are fully perforated..and some are louvered....and don`t forget the annoying sound that super traps made... An exhaust is like music  some guys like rock and some like jazz...for me a mild performance cruiser gets a full exhaust with turbo mufflers...anything more serious than that gets perforated glass packs exiting in front of the rear tire so i can remove them and put on my collector extensions....I don`t get caught up in brand name trends and snake oil    
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic