TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Exhaust/Muffler?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMCLC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Exhaust/Muffler?
    Posted: Jan/08/2018 at 1:22pm
I'm wanting to put a custom exhaust system on my 1969 AMX 390 4-speed.  I'm running headers, so I'm wondering what a good muffler is - to put on?  I'd like it to be deep and throating and sound good, but not have a drone when cruising.  Also wondering what size pipes go well with the suggested muffler?
I've heard some cars sound "pingy" - I'm looking for that deep rumble that sounds good at idle, and not too loud when you jump on it.
Thanks for any suggestions or info you may have to share.
Kensey View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kensey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2018 at 2:06pm
Probably wanna use those Magnaflow 40 mufflers. However, with any of these types of mufflers you're gonna rattle your brains on the highway. 
Gremmy Power!!!
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2018 at 2:52pm
Exhaust is very personal. Everyone has their own idea of what "loud" is and what sounds good. I run 2 1/2" pipes with an H pipe and Magnaflows on my AMX and really like the sound but others might not.
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2018 at 3:29pm
Cheap, old school turbo mufflers work for me.
one bad rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2018 at 4:54pm
The only muffler that has a deep sound on acceleration and tame on the hwy is a turbo muffler...Flowmasters sound like tin cans...glass pack`s (My favorite) are loud and only get louder...I would go with 2.5 pipe and mufflers that are 2.5 all the way through...
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2018 at 5:58pm
Just make sure you run full tailpipes
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2018 at 6:42pm
I concur on the Turbo mufflers.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
23baseball3 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 23baseball3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2018 at 9:42pm
I prefer the sound of classic glasspacks, since they're really throaty and aggressive. They might be too loud for your taste unless you use the longer (18-23") ones and full tailpipes.
1979 Spirit AMX 304/4 Speed AC
2005 Volvo V70R
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2018 at 10:04pm
On my 69 AMX, I'm running Magnaflow mufflers.  I have headers and an "X" pipe in front of them, full 2 1/2" out the back.  Sounds good outside, I can listen to the stereo when cruising down the road.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2018 at 10:11pm
I am with Tony on the magnaflows on my 70 Javelin 390 4 speed. I find it to be throaty but not unpleasant at idle and while it is loud at cruise, it is tolerable. It does roar pretty good if you really step on it! I have 2-1/4" pipes, no crossover and headers. The pipe size seems to be adequate and it makes it easier to get it over the rear axle etc. I would not go any less than 2-1/4" for a mild 390, though you could go with 2-1/2" to the mufflers and 2-1/4" from there back.

Chris
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic