TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Exhaust help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scramblerhap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Exhaust help
    Posted: Aug/25/2014 at 10:11am
here is the deal,

I took out the stock like exhaust which was a quiet ride. I then installed 1 flow master 40 in its place. bad drone, not a big deal. but its not loud enough. it sounds good when i stand outside the car at the very back. I revved it the other day at a car show and it was lame.

I want a REAL muscle car sound. I'm thinking duel exhaust. also i have a set of borla, magna flow, and magna flow glass packs on my target list.

the cherry bomb vortex may be too expensive.

74 javelin 360
81 Scrambler, and 74 Javelin, and 83 Grand Wagoneer.
amcglass View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2014 at 10:21am
maybe an old pair of Thrush mufflers is in need huh?   
Javmanpres

BBG Mark Donohue 401

74 Jav/AMX
71 Matador 2dr sedan delivery wagon
1902 Rambler Runabout   
70 T/A Javelin
69 ambassador 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2014 at 10:58am
To get that muscle car sound, you need the muscle car stuff. Duals, smallish but performance cam. I like the sound of the mid size Magnaflows with a staggered 2 1/4" head pipe and 2 1/2" tail pipes. A small H-pipe helps with the drone and should be placed at the hot spot in the exhaust at cruising speed. Use a laser temp probe and find the hot spot after the collector or head pipe after a few minutes on the Hwy. That will kill the drone. You can also paint the area of the exhaust with cheap paint and it will burn off the most at the spot where you want the H-pipe to be placed. You'll be happy with that I think.
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

79 F-350 Super Camper Special

scramblerhap View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scramblerhap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2014 at 11:06am
Will a shop know where to put the h or x pipe? I have obviously a y pipe right now. Will the magnaflow muffler style be loud enough. I want a grumble. I have a mild cam already and Edelbrock shorty headers
69 ambassador 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2014 at 11:26am
The Magnaflows are just big, well mad glass packs and will sound very loud at W.O.T. or while rapping them and be very nice rumbly at idle. They sound like an offshore race boat. They will settle in and get a bit more thumpy at idle after a while. Not like the pissed of bee's in a tin can sounding Flowmasters.
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

79 F-350 Super Camper Special

Snotty View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2014 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by scramblerhap scramblerhap wrote:

Will a shop know where to put the h or x pipe? I have obviously a y pipe right now. Will the magnaflow muffler style be loud enough. I want a grumble. I have a mild cam already and Edelbrock shorty headers

Crossovers do a great job equalizing exhaust pressures but will result in the opposite you are looking for: sound. Crossovers are quieter that straight dual exhaust.

Honestly, I've never heard a flowmaster I did not like. If all you want is the sound go for a simple cheap set of glaspacs.
Son's car: '73 Gremlin X, 401, T-10, Mopar 8.75 rear with 3.23 sure grip. My car: '70 Newport Convertible, 440 automatic
Greyhounds_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2014 at 12:58pm
The Cherry Bomb Vortex is pretty quiet (on a relative scale) - that's probably not what you're really looking for. It is a pretty nice muffler though.

I run Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers because they're low cost and flow incredibly well. But they sound a little fluffy at idle and are overall pretty quiet.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scramblerhap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2014 at 2:35pm
With glass packs am I going to sound anything like a tin can import?!
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2014 at 3:26pm
I run Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers as well because I hate exhaust drone. Oddly I got two compliments about my exhaust last weekend. I have 2" all the way back (no crossover) on my 304 and it sounds like a bigger engine with a nice sound.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scramblerhap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/25/2014 at 9:24pm
Sooo we thinking glasspacks or one if their ss mufflers?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic