TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

enough carburetor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2019 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by amxron amxron wrote:

How about getting a piece of .25" aluminum and cutting a new manifold top. Then you could mount the carbs closer to the manifold ports for a straighter shot into the head.

it would still need a riser of some sort, as the carb bores (1.75") are wider than the trough, and the flange bolt pattern is wider than the trough plate, so it has to be brought up to get hardware in there...

but otherwise yes, a flat plat is all that's needed!

the other thing in this one case was that the WCD trough cover, cast aluminum, was tall enough on the carb portion that i was able to drill it for 1/4" NPT to accept a center-fed third vacuum port, so there's no other holes at all in the though plate, and the vacuum sources don't lean out cyls on one side or the other.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2019 at 9:24pm
OK, i give up! the 44 IDF is a too-large carburetor. wow did i learn a lot about carburetors...

the low-speed stuff tuned up ok and by the book, but adjustments felt soft. that wasn't the problem, which was the fact that i was driving over 60 mph on the low-speed circuit. big hint that this engine is simply not pumping enough air to make the main venturi work.

even with 2.2mm main jets it was still lean. i stopped messing around when i realized that even if i got it jetted right, i would be doing a lot of driving right on top of the low speed/high speed crossover region.

so the 38/38 DGV is back on, but this time i made a very nice plenum, similar to the one i made for the 44 IDF. it bolts to the opened-up 2V cover (Rochester 2G pattern). WORKS PERFECTLY.

man i learned a lot and sadly spent a lot of money.

updated the main web page for it: https://195.6ohv.com/INDUCTION/index.html

InRogue View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InRogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2019 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by tomj tomj wrote:

OK, i give up! the 44 IDF is a too-large carburetor. wow did i learn a lot about carburetors...

the low-speed stuff tuned up ok and by the book, but adjustments felt soft. that wasn't the problem, which was the fact that i was driving over 60 mph on the low-speed circuit. big hint that this engine is simply not pumping enough air to make the main venturi work.

even with 2.2mm main jets it was still lean. i stopped messing around when i realized that even if i got it jetted right, i would be doing a lot of driving right on top of the low speed/high speed crossover region.

so the 38/38 DGV is back on, but this time i made a very nice plenum, similar to the one i made for the 44 IDF. it bolts to the opened-up 2V cover (Rochester 2G pattern). WORKS PERFECTLY.

man i learned a lot and sadly spent a lot of money.

updated the main web page for it: https://195.6ohv.com/INDUCTION/index.html

Nice page and write up Tom
Always roll with the correct damper crown, a generous helping of flex tandems and a pocket full of brass fitting nickel slits.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2019 at 10:06pm
thanks. i have almost as much money in jets as i do carb. dunno what i'll do with the thing. it's a nice carb to work with!  no choke is a minus though; i have to start it three times to get it to drive off, not so good on the starter.

InRogue View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InRogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2019 at 3:59pm

thanks. i have almost as much money in jets as i do carb. dunno what i'll do with the thing. it's a nice carb to work with!  no choke is a minus though; i have to start it three times to get it to drive off, not so good on the starter.

I know what you can do with it....I was into VW's for ever and Webers are a always a favorite. The number one website for VW's is www.thesamba.com just create an account and sell it there, in performance parts section of course, here's the page https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/cat.php?id=23 

Eric
Always roll with the correct damper crown, a generous helping of flex tandems and a pocket full of brass fitting nickel slits.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2019 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by FSJunkie FSJunkie wrote:

You're telling me that little engine with small ports and valves is actually capable of sucking in that much air?

i can now tell you with some authority: NO.

oddly though, the valves are NOT small, and the runners are actually pretty good. the intake path is very short. of course the head would have to go on a flow bench to know what's really going on. i assume (...) that it's 1) small displacement 2) low RPM hence low total flow 3) poorly cammed.

the 38/38 seems to be perfect. bumped the main jet from 140 to 145 and now it runs 14.5:1 light cruise at 2700 rpm, 75 mph, nicely rich (to 12.6-ish) WOT.

Edited by tomj - May/08/2019 at 10:35pm

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2019 at 9:49pm
I know what all the CFM charts and fun VB script and Java stuff on various car pages out there says - but I ran across a CFM calculator that said my 360 was fine with the dual quads I have - they suggested for my car 1100. Well, the two Edelbrocks (which suck, literally and figuratively) exceed that a bit but it's pretty close. I think it was either a Holley page or perhaps a site selling intakes. In any case, the idea was that my engine was ok with what's on it - and it flies in the face of all the "conventional wisdom" out there. It's got torque - plenty of low-end, no slouch even putzing around town with it (but the 2500 converter can be an issue trying to keep under the speed limit in some places in town as I have to keep feathering it)

It's not just the diameter of the valve head - it's the stem, the shape, and any shrouding, etc A big valve that's shrouded is worse than a smaller one with no shrouding, IMO. There's a whole lot of design factors. 
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2019 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

I know what all the CFM charts and fun VB script and Java stuff on various car pages out there says - but I ran across a CFM calculator that said my 360 was fine with the dual quads I have - they suggested for my car 1100. Well, the two Edelbrocks (which suck, literally and figuratively) exceed that a bit but it's pretty close. I think it was either a Holley page or perhaps a site selling intakes. In any case, the idea was that my engine was ok with what's on it - and it flies in the face of all the "conventional wisdom" out there. It's got torque - plenty of low-end, no slouch even putzing around town with it (but the 2500 converter can be an issue trying to keep under the speed limit in some places in town as I have to keep feathering it)

It's not just the diameter of the valve head - it's the stem, the shape, and any shrouding, etc A big valve that's shrouded is worse than a smaller one with no shrouding, IMO. There's a whole lot of design factors. 

indeed. computer-designed or not (i wonder if the 195.6 ohv head was, in fact, "designed"), we end up with the metal we end up with and it 'does what it wants' (or as we can afford to make it). there are indeed a lot of variables.

the 44 IDF has two 1.75" throttles; the 38/38 two 1.5", so it's not very small anyway. that big 100 holley is what, four 2" bores? so somewhat more than two 44 IDFs. head flow, the peculiarities of carb design, usage patterns...

i think you either design the snot out of it (eg. the current lean-burn stuff, runs at 65:1 afr!), or you rule-of-thumb it and swap and tune.

so i'm swapping and tuning :-) foolishness, but fun and knowldge-gaining. then i get to drive it.

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2019 at 10:59pm

i think you either design the snot out of it (eg. the current lean-burn stuff, runs at 65:1 afr!), or you rule-of-thumb it and swap and tune.

so i'm swapping and tuning :-) foolishness, but fun and knowldge-gaining. then i get to drive it.

Good attitude - and more fun. You do learn more that way, don't you, rather than someone always telling you what's what....... get your hands dirty and your feet wet. And you'll remember what you've discovered a lot better, too, IMO.
dbltrbl View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbltrbl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2019 at 12:12am
How about converting the 44IDF to progressive, cut the throttle shaft in the middle and make linkage that opens the second throttle later. Dont think this has been tried but i dont see why it would not work. Maybe the accelerator pump jet needs to be plugged on the second barrel.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
  Share Topic