TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Jeeps and Eagle 4x4 fun.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Engines

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77J20page Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engines
    Posted: Apr/18/2009 at 10:05am

I have a Jeep J20 with an AMC 360 in it. I have already done an intake carb and headers. Next i would like to rebuild the complete motor. I want to step the pistons up to around a 9:1 compression ratio, but i cant seam to find them. Any ideas on where to look well be helpful. Thanks

PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2009 at 11:46am
Has been discussed in other threads.  Choices are limited.
Custom forged is easy way but has significant cost.
Someone from the forums is now offering higher compression 360 pistons, not sure who.
Egge offers 343 pistons, same bore, that will increase CR, but compression height is less than ideal,
but they will work and raise CR.  They are listed under RAMBLER on the Egge web page.
Run of the mill aftermarket 360 cast pistons have a large dish and shorter comp height.
A good cast 360 piston, good comp ht, good deck clear, good dish volume, good CR, aint easy to find.
imho a 1.601 compression height and about a 14cc dish will do the trick.
Wish I knew who from the forums was offering the new 360 pistons, Mike Obertnec ?
There was a thread a few months ago where it was being discussed.

Edited by PHAT69AMX - Apr/18/2009 at 11:50am
77J20page View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77J20page Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2009 at 10:28am
Well that will at lest give me a place to start looking.

A friend of mine had a 401 built and the shop invoice said they used ?streling? pistons. I have never herd of them. I dose anyone know of them or where i can get informatuon abount then 
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2009 at 11:37am
As with most U.S.A. made parts, choices are dwindling from globalization and
systematic decimation of American manufacturing through strategic legislation.
Found this about closing down and sending offshore of Sterling Piston Co. same as Zollner.
Not sure about Badger Piston, they used to have a web site, further production was "iffy".
Understanding is most aftermarket cast 360 pistons are the 8.5:1 CR variety,
are approx. .020 shorter than stock, and require deck / head mill to obtain 8.5:1 CR.
imho the egge 343 slugs are "ok" even with the increased deck clearance at 9.5-10 CR.
But they approach $400 a set iirc and custom forged are around $800 a set.
A bore size must be selected on the egge site to get it to post a price.

Edited by PHAT69AMX - Apr/19/2009 at 11:38am
77J20page View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77J20page Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2009 at 6:44pm

Wow!! I cant believe how hard it is to find parts for an amarican car that are made in amarica. I know AMC was never given the credit that it should have but i have always liked them. There are still alot of them out there to. I wish more people would look past the cost and just build and buy well made amarican parts. Not some outsorced knock off.

amcramblermarlin View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcramblermarlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2009 at 11:56pm
Your pistons sir; http://www.performanceamstyle.com/Cart/description.php?II=913&sessid=94ebd80328528627885f3ba192a172b3&divi=amc
Artisan View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artisan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/03/2009 at 4:05am
See what Matt has to offer at www.bulltear.com , not just pistons...
Regards,
Artisan
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic