TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

engine swap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valiant69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: engine swap
    Posted: Jan/15/2012 at 1:44pm
i'm new to this site.ive always been into mopars so i have plenty of engines and parts availabe,just wanted to get in touch with some one who has put mopar motors into ramblers,gremlins,hornets,spirits,to see what kinds of problems they ran into and hopefully see some of the results.any info will be helpful.thanks
tmancusi View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmancusi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2012 at 8:21pm
I'm sure there is some good info to be had here on the subject, but you're going to get A LOT of static about replacing an AMC motor with anything other than another AMC motor.
'68 AMX 390 4-Speed
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2012 at 9:19pm
You will not find a lot of info on trying to install a motor other than an AMC. If we want a motor other than AMC then buy that make car/truck. If you went to a MOPAR site and ask for info to install a chevy motor what help do you think yo uwould get?
Now I dont want to knock any one for saving a AMC and if all they have access to is another make of motor then be it and save that car.
You should also know Jeep was AMC and motors & tranys will fit the car with a littel work just like Dodge truck motors & tranys will work in cars.
Dave ----

BTW I think there is someone doing a mopar swap into an AMC on here, do a search yo ushould be able to find it.
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
Josh View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2012 at 8:30am
I've never done a Mopar swap, however I've reversed one. My '64 Classic had a Mopar Performance 360 in it when I got it, I took it out and dropped a 401 in it LOL.

The Rambler Classic has a wider engine bay than a Gremlin or Hornet, and the Mopar was a pretty tight fit. The previous owner had to fabricate new mounts for the engine off of the sides of the framerails and have one of the the steering side header tubes cut and rewelded.

The AMC engine has more room to work on and was a bolt in, plus I think I actually came out ahead in dollars after the swap believe it or not.
‘66 Marlin, 327/M10
‘70 Rebel Machine, 390/M12
‘74 Javelin AMX, 401/727
‘80 Concord DL, 258/904
‘98 Cherokee, 4.0/AW4
Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2012 at 9:10am
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2012 at 3:48pm
valiant69 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valiant69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2012 at 5:17pm
static dont bother me.ive been into mopars all my life,before everyone else thought they were gold mines on wheels.ive got running gear sitting there ready to drop in,and cant find an affordable mopar body to put them in so now im looking for alternatives.people want more now for a rusted out mopar hull than i used to buy running cars for.there arent alot of amc's around here now but they are still reasonable as long as its not a javelin or amx.my first car was an orange with black stripes 1974 gremlin X with 304 auto in floor.could do some crazy burn outs with that thing before i figured out i had to pay for the new tires to go on it.that stopped real quick
needafasterAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote needafasterAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2012 at 5:48pm
Camaro and Mustangs are relatively cheap and plentiful .
74 AMX, 401
Viper spec T56 6 speed trans
Hydroboost brakes with rear disks from a Avenger
3:73 TG rear,now Trutrac with 3:15
A Turbo is in my future.
Josh View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2012 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by needafasterAMX needafasterAMX wrote:

Camaro and Mustangs are relatively cheap and plentiful .

That would be a riot. If you're trying to find something reasonable, and are crossbreeding because you want to stay cheap and readily available, you might as well pick a body that has cheap and readily available parts LOL.
‘66 Marlin, 327/M10
‘70 Rebel Machine, 390/M12
‘74 Javelin AMX, 401/727
‘80 Concord DL, 258/904
‘98 Cherokee, 4.0/AW4
wobblyweb View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wobblyweb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2012 at 6:58pm
Cheap and Muscle cars from the 60's & 70's do have the same meaning !!!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic