TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Engine swap recommendations?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine swap recommendations?
    Posted: Sep/05/2019 at 1:43pm
Hi,

I have a 1960 Rambler Custom American with a 196 overhead 6-cylinder and an automatic transmission. Sadly after 9 years and countless repairs the engine has totally blown on me. At this point I'd really like to put a brand new crate motor in to keep my beauty rolling. What is the absolute easiest crate motor swap for the 1960 American? 

Thank you,
Justin  
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2019 at 2:36pm
It will require quite a bit of work.  Your engine bay is small and almost any kind of swap will require modifications to the engine crossmember, possibly the suspension and modifying/removing the inner fenders/shock tower, firewall, replacement of the transmission and crossmember and firewall opening for the transmission.  If it is a powerful engine, particularly a V8 and many 6's, you will need to replace/modify the drive shaft and rear end.

It has been done with other engines but with quite a bit of work as partially described above.  Basically, you are rebuilding the entire drivetrain and modifying many interfering body and suspension components for the proper fit and function.

Edited by LakesideRamblin - Sep/05/2019 at 2:38pm
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2019 at 10:12pm
what lakeside sez...

as far as i know, there is no "crate motor" to fit in that engine compartment. is there a particular reason to not rebuilt it/have it rebuilt?

any engine replacement other than the OHV or flathead 195.6 will absolutely entail transmission, crossmembers, driveshaft modification. i love that chassis; i have one. but it's a "brittle" chassis -- unlike the 64-up american into which you can almost "bolt in" any AMC engine made after 64, the pre-64 american has one engine, and one manual or one automatic transmission option.

everything else will be extensive customization.

the good news is, that automatic is very solid (even if yours is old and worn). rebuilt it'll last a long time.

the engine is quite rebuildable, with only a few tricky spots requiring care, but nothign that's not written down somewhere. Kanters  and the AMC suppliers will sell you rebuild parts.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2019 at 10:36pm
A rebuilt 196.   But then...anythings possible..with saws, hammers, and a cutting torch.
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2019 at 1:59am
Rebuilding that engine or finding another 196 that could be rebuilt is the easiest path forward.
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
jben View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2019 at 9:49am
Looks like I have my answer. Unfortunately I might not be able to continue with the car. Thank you to everyone who took the time to reply. 
jben View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2019 at 9:52am
If anyone needs a parts car with minimal to no rust original placid blue paint on the east coast let me know. 
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2019 at 9:10pm
solid chassis are worth the bother. those rusted out a lot on the least coast, galvanizing didn't begin til 61 or later.

and they are lovely, if odd, chassis.  very high overall quality. the engineering is weird, today. but i've had two (have 61 now) and not a squeak in the chassis. light and stiff. here's nothing like them on the road. they are literally little 50's Nashcans in AMC badging. and you can make them handle surprisingly well if you care to.

it's hard to imagine today how the styling was ever current! i love my strangled frog with fading hints of Pininfarina.

but no lie, they require dedication to keep them on the road. very Old World engineering.

get it to someone to love it if you can't! no judgement from me, one of their biggest fans.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2019 at 7:48am
There should be several "what fits a 58-63 American" threads on here somewhere. There are several that fit easily, just not a lot. The Ford 200/250 six fits and is a good swap candidate. You will need a trans for that engine and will have to fabricate motor mounts and a transmission crossmember. You can generally use a universal hot rod motor mount crossmember for a 30s car, though it will need some modifying. Easy enough to fab or mod a universal trans crossmember. Once the motor and trans are in you measure for a driveshaft and have a local shop modify your original by swapping the late model trans yoke onto your original driveshaft.

It's not a simple bolt-in swap, but it's not hard for anyone who can do some fabrication work. If you (or a friend) can't do the fab work, it could be expensive to have a shop do it. You might want to contact some local race or hot rod shops and ask about pricing though.

If that or rebuilding the original engine isn't an option, put the car for sale here on the forum. If it's more than you can handle maybe a car with an engine in better condition is what you need to find.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic