TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Engine Stands

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine Stands
    Posted: Dec/20/2014 at 11:34am
I've had it with my el-cheapo engine stand. Any reasonable force like torquing head bolts or mains and the thing wobbles to the point I'm afraid something is going to break. I'm going to start on my first 401 next year and I'd rather it not end up on the floor. I'd like to get a good 2000# version for around $1000 but I can't find one. They seem to go from the cheap 2000# versions for a couple hundred bucks to the 3000# diesel stands that are four thousand bucks. I could make one but I really don't want to take the time. Anybody know of somebody that sells a quality 2000# stand in that price range?
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
ghinmi View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghinmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2014 at 12:14pm
Summit has this one for reasonable but I have no experience with it.  http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnr-5150470/overview/

I bought a bunch of these ones a while back and yeah, they spring a little but I haven't had any problems.  http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-918014/overview/
1975 Cherokee S - Turbo Hemi stick shift autocross/drag race/street 9.97 @ 140.4
Slate View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2014 at 12:56pm
I have one from Harbor Freight that I turned the first droopy, floppy version in for when it was on sale. Pretty solid. I can check when I get to storage and get the details.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2014 at 12:59pm
I use the one with 4 casters. Its safer.
Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2014 at 2:05pm
I bought the 2000# one with 4 casters and added 3 gussets, 2 from the main pole to the bottom cross arm and one to the forward arm. Surprising how much wobble, droop and shake come out by adding a few gussets. Did a 360, 401 and a Allis Chalmers WD45 on this stand with no concerns. I fabricated and bolted them on so I can stow the stand away when not in use. 1x1 square tube with welded 1/4" plates for bolting through, approx. 10" long.
sleekcrafter View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleekcrafter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2014 at 2:12pm
I have one of these from sams club... By far the best I've ever used.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/engine-stand-1500-lb-folding/164140.ip
1974 401 4 SPEED JAVELIN

http://theamcforum.com/forum/underdog-74-javelin-project_topic66835.html

Past rides:
73 360 MT AMX
75 258 AT Coupe
74 304 AT Coupe
68 343 AT JAVELIN SST
69 390 MT AMX GO-PAK
gremlinsteve View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlinsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2014 at 2:34pm
Or weld the one you have up
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2014 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by gremlinsteve gremlinsteve wrote:

Or weld the one you have up

By the time I did that I fear I'd have added more metal than it started out with.  Big smile
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
gremlinsteve View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlinsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2014 at 6:08pm
Lol
RamblinMan View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RamblinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2014 at 8:21pm
I have a folding one from Harbor Freight rated for 2000# and it seems real solid. Built several engines on it from BB Olds to SB Fords and all size V8's in between. I also have a cheap 1250# rated stand that I only use to store motors, but not usually to build on. I did build one SB Ford on it, and it was just OK, but they're pretty small.

The Right Reverend of Blessed Acceleration
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic