TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Engine RPM sticking at 2000 rpm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2018 at 3:31pm
a)Is the carb mounted solidly to the intake with just a single thin gasket, or is there some kind of spacer, factory or otherwise involved?

When I had the 600 on there I had a 3/8" thick composition gasket that probably insulated the carb from heat pretty well, so had I used it again with the 750. Thinking that the larger butterfly plates of the 750 might hang up on the gasket somehow I switched to a new flat gasket. No change though.

b) Did you try the "spray carb cleaner around looking for a vac leak" trick?

I have not - that's a really good idea.

c) Throttle plate position is critical when you remove and replace them,
since you swapped them I would look to that as well.

I agree - that was one of the first things that I chased after. I have those things lined up so perfectly now it's silly.

d) Maybe even swapping a known good carb in place if the plates seem to be aligned correctly but the idle still won't come down.

Good idea. I'll put my 600 back together and give it a try. If it works correctly with the 600 then we know it's not the distributor.

SO THE THINGS TO TRY LIST GETS BIGGER:

1) Plug the PCV line off
2) Dig down to the mech advance and see if anything is messed up there
3) Look for a vacuum leak with carb cleaner spray
4) Try a different carb
5) Mow the lawn before my wife gets mad
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2018 at 4:07pm
Just another thing to check:
You don't mention your intake, the factory square bore is 1.610" and the 750 Holley butterfly primaries and secondaries are 1.688". You need an overbore spacer or oversize the intake.
If you have anything other then the factory square bore intake you can forget this one.
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2018 at 4:15pm
From what you have said it's obvious you have a
air leak somewhere.

Sticking throttles, leaking hose, or even a poorly sealed intake/carb.

Timing aint causing it.
Gremlin Dreams
Greyhounds_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2018 at 4:47pm
I think this may be the problem:

https://youtu.be/3AALKXIAK7Y

The first bit of travel in the distributor rotor doesn't return via the spring mechanism. It just stays where it is. So if the rpm goes up and slowly comes down, it would tend to leave the rotor advanced slightly.

So the real question is:
Is something messed up in the mechanical advance mechanism, or is this a result of slop in the distributor/cam gear interface?

I'll pull it apart and see.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2018 at 5:42pm
Ok, I took a good look at the distributor. The advance mechanism doesn't have any slop in it, and it is firmly attached to the distributor shaft and that's firmly held to the gear by the roll pin. All of the slop that I'm seeing in the rotor is due to slop between the distributor gear and the cam gear.

But, I don't see anything but a normal wear pattern on the distributor gear. So either the cam gear is wearing out, or this is just the way they fit.

In reality, when the engine is running the oil pump provides resistance to the power applied via the cam gear, and the cam gear to dist gear clearance closes up. There's really never a situation where the oil pump would provide no load to the gear train, so the backlash between the two gears never opens - it's always closed. So it should be consistent.

And not the problem I'm looking for here.

Edited by Greyhounds_AMX - Jul/21/2018 at 5:52pm
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2018 at 7:44pm
With you pushing the rotor there seems like a lot of play. If the gears look good (the distributor gear should wear out well before the cam gear) then the rotation may be the distributor shaft end play - i.e. riding up or down on the cam gear.
Seems odd that this would happen just as you change the carburetor but the rotation does look to come to a point were something changes. If not the mechanical advance then likely end play.  
amxmachine View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxmachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2018 at 8:24pm
Too high fuel pressure?
one bad rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2018 at 9:31pm
If you go for a drive and it act`s up can you stop and to be sure the throttle blades are closed (@ idle position)When it does it can you lower the idle with the base idle screw???If you can it`s not the primary side of the carb..If you can`t something is holding it open (Choke cam)...I find it hard to believe ignition timing would cause a 1,000 to 1,200 rpm rise...it would have to be really fat(rich) for a vacuum leak to cause it also...I would drive it with the air cleaner off if it still does it i would test it as i listed above...I`m leaning towards the choke cam or the vacuum secondary pod
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2018 at 8:35am
a) Too high fuel pressure?

I suppose that's possible, but the same stock type fuel pump has been on there for 18 years and 10,000 miles, so I'd expect too low fuel pressure out of it before anything else.

b) If you go for a drive and it act`s up can you stop and to be sure the throttle blades are closed (@ idle position)When it does it can you lower the idle with the base idle screw???If you can it`s not the primary side of the carb..If you can`t something is holding it open (Choke cam)

I did exactly that - you can see the result on the first post on page 2.

c) ...I find it hard to believe ignition timing would cause a 1,000 to 1,200 rpm rise...it would have to be really fat(rich) for a vacuum leak to cause it also...I would drive it with the air cleaner off if it still does it i would test it as i listed above...I`m leaning towards the choke cam or the vacuum secondary pod

I'm doing all the testing now without the air cleaner, but it's still doing the 2000 rpm thing, so that isn't the culprit.

I did swap both the electric choke assembly and the vacuum secondary pod and their respective levers from my 600 on to the 750 and it made no difference at all. I expected the choke to be the problem as well, but it's working fine. At this point I have it cranked clockwise far enough where it's always 100% open.

I'm going to take the ones that were on the 750 and stick them on the 600 now so I can do a complete carb swap and see what happens.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2018 at 9:01am
I missed this one:

"You don't mention your intake, the factory square bore is 1.610" and the 750 Holley butterfly primaries and secondaries are 1.688". You need an overbore spacer or oversize the intake.
If you have anything other then the factory square bore intake you can forget this one."

I have a factory '68 square bore intake that's been opened up on a Bridgeport to duplicate the Machine intake manifold. Even with the skinny gasket on there the butterflies do open all the way and close fine with no binding.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic