TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Engine RPM sticking at 2000 rpm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine RPM sticking at 2000 rpm
    Posted: Jul/21/2018 at 10:23am
Here's an interesting problem I've been trying to troubleshoot.

After sitting for 3 years, I finally have my AMX running again with the T5 trans conversion, new headers, and rebuilt 750 Holley in place of the 600 that was on there. The 750 received a replacement primary throttle shaft, billet primary metering block, electric choke conversion, and quick change secondary kit. It's got a large diameter drop base air cleaner. The gas pedal is a later model with a cable instead of the original bigfoot pedal.

It's got a Duraspark distributor and an MSD 6AL, and uses ported and manifold vacuum via a TVS valve on the water neck. The vacuum advance can is the stock one for the distributor, from a late 80's Wag.

Other than the carb, no changes to the engine.

When I drive it though once I increase rpm above 2000 it won't come back down under 2000 unless I give the gas pedal a quick stab, then it settles down, although it seems to settle a little slower than I'd expect. But as I slow to a stoplight and then push in the clutch it revs to around 2000-2200 rpm once the load is off the engine.

Should I tell you guys what I've already tried, or do you want to take guesses and I can tell you then? I'm trying to make this fun you know...

Edited by Greyhounds_AMX - Jul/21/2018 at 10:47am
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
401jim View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2018 at 10:58am
How about a throttle return spring? Throttle cable frayed or not returning to base idle.
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2018 at 11:01am
Frayed or rusted cable.
over extended cable.
Delaminated plastic on same.
Bad or missing return spring.
Frozen or sticking choke parts.

Misaligned throttle plate (s).
Miss adjusted secondary idle stop

to name the obvious that comes to mind.

Edited by Boris Badanov - Jul/21/2018 at 11:04am
Gremlin Dreams
Greyhounds_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2018 at 11:04am
There's a secondary throttle return spring on there that's got enough force and is pulling the throttle all the way closed when I test it in the garage. When I pop the throttle cable loose from the carb the spring on the Holley is strong enough by itself to close it fully as well, so there's no binding going on in the carb itself. I thought that might be possible so I pulled the carb and re-aligned the butterfly plates to get the best alignment and closure possible.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2018 at 11:16am
1) Frayed or rusted cable.

The cable looks great with no rust. I lubed it - no change. Swapped in a different one - no change.

2) Delaminated plastic on same.

There's no plastic on the exposed cable that I can see, and the black plastic dust shield has been trimmed off so it can't interfere with anything. I'm pretty sure the cable isn't the issue.

3) Bad or missing return spring.

Checked that - all good. Plenty of spring, although I suppose I could add more for testing just to make sure.

4) Frozen or sticking choke parts.

I pulled the carb again and removed the electric choke assembly, all looked good, moved smooth. Reinstalled, no change. Pulled the carb again and swapped to the choke assembly from my old 600 - again no change.

5) Misaligned throttle plate (s).

Checked and readjusted them, no change there.

6) Miss adjusted secondary idle stop

I use a SST set screw for a stop so it's easy to adjust from the top if needed, and have that adjusted to show about 0.020" of transfer slot since I've had the carb off so much. The drivers side secondary linkage is adjusted spot on and ensuring the secondary is closed when the primary is closed.

You guys have almost caught up to me already.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2018 at 11:19am
As Boris stated, check the choke for binding, especially the step lever.
You don't mention electric, manual or no choke.
A malfunctioning electric choke would step up idle.
Another place to look is if you have an automatic kick-down linkage still on the carburetor. I know you stated it's a 5 speed but if the carburetor was originally from an automatic the linkage could bind or catch if it's still there and not being used. 

Edited by Trader - Jul/21/2018 at 11:27am
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2018 at 11:34am
I'm convinced the choke is ok, after messing with it quite a bit then finally swapping it completely. I even changed the choke lever on the throttle shaft.

There is a Ford style kickdown lever flopping about though. I'm pretty sure that's not it as I had it locked in place with a set screw to start with, then took that out too see if it made any difference and it didn't. I'll cut that off though to be sure!
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2018 at 11:46am
Here's what we're dealing with:

1968 AMX 390 w/T5
BDCVG View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDCVG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2018 at 12:54pm
I would be tempted to run without the CTO vacuum switch and see how the advance reacts on the dist.
1970 AMX 390 5 spd full Control Freaks front and rear suspension
2014 E63 AMG-S wagon
1965 Austin-Healey 3000 MK III              
calamx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2018 at 1:58pm
Could your drop base air cleaner some how rub on throttle linkage
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic