TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Engine oil coming out dipstick tube

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollandherder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine oil coming out dipstick tube
    Posted: Jun/27/2018 at 8:09pm
I have a 258 in a 77 Hornet that has oil seeping out the dipstick tube.  Anyone have any ideas what would be causing this?  Blowby on cylinder? Bad PCV valve? 
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2018 at 8:18pm
Do you mean at the top of the tube?  Or where the tube goes in the block ?

Just a little mist that's vaporizing into liquid,  or oil clear to the top ?
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
Hollandherder View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollandherder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2018 at 12:54am
Oil clear to the top
rms827 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rms827 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2018 at 5:50am
Surprised nobody's even ventured a guess here...  A few possibilities come to mind here:

Overfilling is the most obvious.  Even enough to cover the crank partially can create splashing that might throw oil up the dipstick tube.  I suppose a big enough dent in the oil pan could raise the level of the oil enough to create a fake overfill condition.

Excessive oil pressure came to mind when I first read this but I'm not sure that's a valid possibility

The other answer is that there's compression escaping into the crank case somehow (ie a blown head gasket or crack in the engine) and that pressure is pushing oil up the tube.  I'd think you'd notice performance issues there, and should be able to feel pressure putting your hand over the opening for the oil fill cap with the engine running.

The only other time I recall hearing of something similar was an incident where a supercharger was pushing air into the crank case due to faulty installation.  Obviously that's not going to apply here.
1964 AMC Rambler Classic 660

"You can think I'm an idiot, just don't talk to me like I'm one." - Batman
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2018 at 6:20am
If it's oil clear to the top,  If you haven't drastically overfilled it ,  I'm thinking something is displacing the oil in the crankcase. 
Ruptured fuel pump diaphram,  letting gas enter the crankcase.
Does the oil have a smell of gas?

A blown head gasket, or crack in the block or head would let coolant dilute the oil.
If either is true,  they can ruin a engine quickly.   Wipe out you rod and main bearings, scuff the cylinder walls.

Even overfilling can ruin a engine,  the crank going thru the oil will turn it to a foam,  that won't do a very good job of lubricating anything.
rms827 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rms827 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2018 at 6:24am
Originally posted by tyrodtom tyrodtom wrote:

If it's oil clear to the top,  If you haven't drastically overfilled it ,  I'm thinking something is displacing the oil in the crankcase. 
Ruptured fuel pump diaphram,  letting gas enter the crankcase.
Does the oil have a smell of gas?

A blown head gasket, or crack in the block or head would let coolant dilute the oil.
If either is true,  they can ruin a engine quickly.   Wipe out you rod and main bearings, scuff the cylinder walls.

Even overfilling can ruin a engine,  the crank going thru the oil will turn it to a foam,  that won't do a very good job of lubricating anything.

Good points, Tom.
1964 AMC Rambler Classic 660

"You can think I'm an idiot, just don't talk to me like I'm one." - Batman
POS #1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote POS #1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2018 at 12:45pm
Blow by..
 most likely needs minimum, set of rings and a good hone,  but plan on a total rebuild, including bore and pistons ... imo
been down that path several times with V-8's
Doug in New Freedom View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug in New Freedom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2018 at 3:52pm
I had a Gremlin that the water pump went bad and ground away the front area of the block at the timing chain if I recall. This then pumped water into the oil causing over filling. Check the color of the oil to see if it's milky and also the radiator.
Doug in New Freedom
68 AMX
69 CHEVY C1O PICKUP
74 PORSCHE 914
84 K5 BLAZER
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2018 at 6:16pm
I think something has been lost in translation.

Is the dipstick tube full of oil up to the top of the tube ?

Or just a little oil making it up to the top of the dipstick tube ?
First_Gear View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote First_Gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2018 at 7:16pm
I had an old nova that did this. Just sprayed oil out of the dipstick tube wherever I drove. It was excessive blowby from an old engine in my case.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic