TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

ENGINE GASKETS DISCUSSION

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2019 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by 74Bubblefender 74Bubblefender wrote:

ROL, thats an old name. Arent the Cometic or Victor Renz now?

Corteco maybe???

I don't know, but I'm just glad that I still have a few sets of the Rol "Extreme" high heat head gaskets left that the Rol Rep gave me a few years ago.  
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's car)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2019 at 7:14pm
I have one left - tried to get some more and supposedly they are no longer available. Any update on that?
74Bubblefender View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Bubblefender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2019 at 10:32am
I do believe Corteco bought them out. It has been years. From what I recall the last run from ROL was pure junk and the following run from Corteco was bad (This was coming from customers we sold to). Didnt they have a graphite surface and nitrile beads around the water ports. How can you go wrong.
We are just about to forge new AMC V8 crankshafts.. please check here
http://www.bulltear.com/forums/showthread.php?19564
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2019 at 2:45pm
Well I just put a 401 together and had my first head gasket leak.
I have always used Felpro and am absolutely @#$@ about torquing and flatness of the block and heads. I absolutely hate rework.
Before doing an engine I calibrate my torque wrenches and after assembly of bottom end and heads.
This head was torqued in four sequences to 110 ft-lbs and then check torqued twice more.
After cam break-in and 2x20 minute drives that I saw white coming out the exhaust on acceleration.
Took the rocker covers off and every bolt was 20 to 30 ft-lbs low - both sides.
I checked my torque wrench and it was fine. I took it into a local machine shop to use their equipment to check my torque wrenches and the unit I use for regular calibration and they are all fine. All within 2 ft-lbs at 110.
This is a first for me. How in 60 minutes of operation can a head gasket crush like this???
I should just replace them but no time and it looks like the re-torquing has stopped the leak - for now.
I will also be switching away from Felpro as this is to much of a PITA.
JERSEYJOE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JERSEYJOE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2019 at 4:08pm
Did you use Copper Coat on both sides of the Gasket?   Call me old fashion but I've been doin this since my first AMX 390 in 1974 with no leaks
1985 J-20 PLOW TRUCK
1977 CJ 7 360 T-18 D 300
1970 AMX ex-SCCA car

SPEED COSTS MONEY HOW FAST DO YOU WANT TO GO?
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2019 at 4:56pm
I've always used a very, very thin coat of Hylomar on the surface that states use sealant and also just around the water jacket openings on both sides.
Used to use Hylomar on jet/diesel engines, pumps to turbines, even when burnt it would seal. 

jcisworthy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2019 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by Trader Trader wrote:

Well I just put a 401 together and had my first head gasket leak.
I have always used Felpro and am absolutely @#$@ about torquing and flatness of the block and heads. I absolutely hate rework.
Before doing an engine I calibrate my torque wrenches and after assembly of bottom end and heads.
This head was torqued in four sequences to 110 ft-lbs and then check torqued twice more.
After cam break-in and 2x20 minute drives that I saw white coming out the exhaust on acceleration.
Took the rocker covers off and every bolt was 20 to 30 ft-lbs low - both sides.
I checked my torque wrench and it was fine. I took it into a local machine shop to use their equipment to check my torque wrenches and the unit I use for regular calibration and they are all fine. All within 2 ft-lbs at 110.
This is a first for me. How in 60 minutes of operation can a head gasket crush like this???
I should just replace them but no time and it looks like the re-torquing has stopped the leak - for now.
I will also be switching away from Felpro as this is to much of a PITA.

Are you sure the bolts did not stretch and are you sure threads are not pulling? 
Specializing in dyno services, engine building, and cylinder head porting

rbjracing.com
Phone Number 518-915-3203
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2019 at 8:19pm
I use old worn taps to clean block threads and all except one timing cover tapped hole were in excellent condition. The bolts in each side were also excellent condition, clean with a worn die nut.
Took 2 bolts out from each side to check against others in the parts bin and no discernible difference.
On re-torquing they all behaved like expected, no bind, smooth and even steps.

The gaskets were different from other Felpro's I've used. The metal side had much deeper/larger perforations, closer to their exhaust gaskets is the best I can describe it. 

The more I think about it, the more I believe these are knock off's in Felpro packaging. Unless Felpro has change place of manufacture or country of origin??? 

I bought them at a local performance shop as a gasket kit, not E-bay or Amazon, if that is a concern.  

Edited by Trader - May/06/2019 at 8:41pm
Jmerican View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmerican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2019 at 10:06am
ugh. Sounds like you know those gaskets are different, and it botched your meticulous work. It’s good to hear this stuff.
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2019 at 10:44am
Years ago I bought one of every brand gasket kit to compare them all.
FelPro is the best most complete kit and less expensive if you buy them under the Sealed Power name.https://www.summitracing.com/parts/slp-260-1151/overview/make/american-motors
I use the copper coat spray on the head gaskets and re-torque the head bolts after brake in.

BTW, The company I used to work for, Tenneco has bought Federal Mogul who owns FelPro among a bunch of other companies.  https://www.monroenews.com/news/20180411/tenneco-buys-federal-mogul-in-deal-worth-54-billion

Edited by SC397 - May/07/2019 at 10:51am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic