TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

engine dies or lose of power

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2019 at 10:30pm
sounds good.

billd's mention of the tach (excellet suggestion) made me think about this...

if you don't have a tach,  i suspect you could use a small lamp with a long wire connected to the coil minus - lead, that goes to points, pertronix, etc. the other lamp connection goes to ground whereever convenient.

the lamp will be ON when the points are open, OFF when the points are closed. (pertronix does the on/off thing). when running, it should be half-bright, or something like that, just not fully ON or fully OFF.

kludge it up, tape it to your windshield. doesn't have to be solid or last long.

Edited by tomj - Apr/19/2019 at 10:32pm
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

fts1966 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fts1966 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2019 at 9:37am
okay so after weeks of rebuilding and working to get the right parts the carburetor rebuild is done.  it is better but still looses power and dies at speed.  so moved to the fuel pump.  did research and found 
Then & Now Automotive.  our car has the duel purpose fuel pump  wipers and gas.  it is a Carter #4655
hated the routed on the rebuild and ordered the kit.  

okay spend put the fuel pump and found some interesting parts that were used and noting like the original. also found the someone cut out the valves and used The AC Delco valves and epoxied the in there.  and it was bypassing them.  

Talked to Then & Now and they have seen this being done a few times.  my fuel pump is now what is called not buildable.  so we discussed what to do and they sent some more new valves of there making and my fatherinlaw the tool and die maker machined the fuel body side of the pump and we pressed the new valves in.  

now back in the city from the lake house and going to try it out today.  really hope this fixes the issue and we can enjoy our little Jewel

Updates soon

fts1966 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fts1966 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2019 at 6:43pm
Okay Edna is fixed and running like she should.  i just got back from a 100 mile drive and did lots of time at 70 mph and its great.

Leon Richard View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Leon Richard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2019 at 8:12pm
I love reading the success stories!
Leon Richard
73 Gremlin X 258/auto

Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/leon_richard/
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2019 at 9:46pm
tool and die makers can fix anything! that's great that you saved another core. and congrats on now DRIVING IT.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic