TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Engine died.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ga70amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine died.
    Posted: Jul/25/2016 at 2:59pm
I went out for a short ride yesterday and after about 10 minutes I felt the engine missing a bit. I stopped at a light and the engine died and would not restart. After may attempt I held the carb wide open and it eventually started but immediately died at idol. Long story short, I managed to limp it home. I pulled the plugs which were all covered in black soot indicating way too rich or really bad spark. I put in new plugs, it fired right up, sat at idol for about 30 seconds, started running really bad and then shut off. Any ideas? I’m thinking the Mallory Unilite might have gone bad, I know they have a bad reputation. This thing was in the car when I bought it. The cap doesn’t look cracked but there is some build up on the connections. I tried taking the rotor off but it doesn’t seem to want to pull off???? Is there a trick to that?
Corvette powered '77 280Z
'70 AMX 390 Golden Lime Metallic
'67 Chevy C10 stepside
shootist View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2016 at 3:57pm
Check the new plugs see if they look fouled. It is possible you picked up trash in the fuel bowl and it is flooding. If the contacts on the cap and rotor look bad that could also be an issue. The button should just lift off but that depends on the distributor as well.
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2016 at 4:32pm
The Unilite is a pretty dependable unit. They work or they don't. The rotor is a press fit, and needs to be pulled straight up with a fair amount of pressure. It could be your coil is overheating/failing or your carb is gummed up. Run it with the filter off, and make sure the choke plate isn't falling shut during idle. I had the bi-metal spring in an electric choke fail, and the choke plate would fall shut at idle, then open by vacuum as the revs came up.

What kind of carb do you have?

Bob
tufcj

Edited by tufcj - Jul/25/2016 at 4:35pm
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
gremlin1945 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlin1945 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2016 at 5:31pm
 Don't over look a bad distr. condenser. Just got over that with my early Moostang.
former NHRA #1945

former IHRA #1945

T/SA
ga70amx View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ga70amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2016 at 7:12pm
The carb is a Holley 650 electric choke. The choke is not closed.
'67 Chevy C10 stepside
ga70amx View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ga70amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2016 at 7:15pm
Crap in the carb is a possibility, I did just change the fuel lines to AN hoses, new filter and pressure regulator.

Edited by ga70amx - Jul/25/2016 at 7:22pm
'67 Chevy C10 stepside
ga70amx View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ga70amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2016 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by shootist shootist wrote:

Check the new plugs see if they look fouled. It is possible you picked up trash in the fuel bowl and it is flooding. If the contacts on the cap and rotor look bad that could also be an issue. The button should just lift off but that depends on the distributor as well.

I pulled a plug and it looks fine, of course the engine only ran for maybe 30 seconds.
'67 Chevy C10 stepside
ScrambledEgg View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScrambledEgg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2016 at 7:45pm
Sounds like it may be a coil that is not working properly and then shuts down when it gets hot. Try switching the coil with a known good unit. If that does not change the issue at least you eliminated one item out of the equation (and its a simple test).
ScrambledEgg
73hornut View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2016 at 9:30pm
Fuel filter?
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1602825606650796
AMXRWB View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXRWB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2016 at 10:05pm
Unilite has no points or condenser.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic