TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Engine Date

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2018 at 5:55am
"I'm trying to identify what size/year/model my replacement flathead motor No. S441520 came out of , and whether my 55 Nash Statesman Super , id nos. K636654  , body no, 1917 , model no. 55(4?)5-1 , ,had a flat or ohv motor originally ?"

emu, the starting serial number for the 55 Nash Statesman (that questionable number is a 4 -- it was Series 40) is S440001 and went through S453100 for 1955. Si it appears that you have the original motor. It would be a 195.6 with 7.45:1 compression, Carter YF 1V carb, rated 100 hp. I don't know if it used a different am than the later 58 American or not, but the American was rated at 90 hp with 8:1 compression, same carb. The OHV motor wasn't introduced until 1956, and then used in the Statesman and Rambler. No flat head 195.6 for 56 or 57. 56 was the last year for the Statesman. Until 57 all the 195.6 engines had the water pump on the side, not in front. You should be able to use a later model flat-head or OHV if you needed to though, just change the radiator hoses.

I don't know all the answers, just have the right books! This info came from "The Standard Catalog of American Motors", out of print. I believe Larry Daum (mramc on here) compiled that info for the editor (John Gunnel). It was printed by Krause Publications. They later printed "The Standard Catalog of Independents", which has all the technical and number info, but left out all the sundry articles about each make. Either is a great resource. The AMC book sells for $37+ on Amazon used, the Independents for $6.50+ used. If you just want the facts get Independent. Also check Alibris for used books.

Edited by farna - Sep/05/2018 at 6:03am
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic