TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

encased driveshaft?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2017 at 11:43pm
sounds like you're underway. "everyone" hates the torque tubes. it is true its a PITA to pull, but they are crazy reliable, an advantage of being sealed and overbuilt in the first place.

the rubber trunnion is important, get a repro if its bad.

everyone (lol, again :-) forgets the two THRUST BUSHINGS that locate the transmission crossmember to the chassis at each outer end. there's a little strap with bushings under it. i made replacements myself on a drill press, turning down some generic red rubber bushes from a local store.

if you get all the rubber isolators right the thing will be as smooth and quiet as a new car. those mid-60's torque tube "big cars" (10, 80, 40, 70 series, classics marlins ambassadors, etc) were probably AMCs best products. old Nash quality and some new AMC engineering mixed together.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2017 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

The V-8 shaft is different..... uses a solid back half with a tubular front half (in front of the centering bearing) . This makes it relatively easy for a driveshaft shop to cut the front part and lengthen for a single u-joint -- which works fine. 56-62 Rambler V-8 cars used a single u-joint, only the 63-66 models used the CV joint.

I really need to do something about my driveshaft. The vibration above 60mph is quite noticeable. I posted about it here.
http://theamcforum.com/forum/topic86840_post774494.html#774494
and when we went out yesterday it had not magically improved.
Galvin have a rebuilt shaft at $495, but they use the old centre bearing, and by the time it's shipped over here plus the core charge, it will be a lot of money for what amounts to a new CV joint.

There is a good repair shop I found about 30 miles away, but I doubt they will find the parts for the double joint.
Your comment above, about converting to a single u-joint. Does this not wear the slip joint? With only one joint the shaft would be effectively changing length all the time? Or am I not understanding it properly?

Edit: in the 62 TSM there's very little about the propeller shaft. As Frank said, it had a single uj. In the 63 TSM there's much more, and a good description of the double joint.
I guess the double joint was smoother.

Have to pull it, and see what I've got. My 63 export model, I guess it could have either.

Ivor

Edited by 990V8 - Jul/25/2017 at 4:14am
63 Canadian Ambo 990 V8 327
74 LandRover Lightweight V8 SIII
Shopping Trolley
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2017 at 6:57am
The shaft never changes length inside the tube. Or rather it changes only a small amount, maybe +/- 1/8" (1/4" total). Shaft and tube are same length, and pivot point is virtually the same as well, so no length change except for expansion and contraction from heat/cold.

The double is a bit smoother, but not enough that you are likely to notice. I don't think you can still use the original CV joint yoke, not without some machine work. You might need to find another yoke that will fit. That might be a big problem for you in England.IIRC some other tranny yokes (manual BW trans... AMC and some Ford?) will fit the shaft -- your driveline guy might be able to take some measurements from the yoke and find one.

The main problem with the type CV joint used is that the centering pin and spring that keeps the two joints aligned eventually wears out, mostly from age. That type joint was only used by AMC and Lincoln as far as I can determine, and was only in production 4-5 years. Since AMC used an enclosed drive there was no dust/dirt getting into the joint, so it simply didn't wear out often, so few replacements were necessary. Hard to find now! Blaser's may have a repair kit (consists of pin and spring), but last I heard they were out. Took around 50 years for time to take it's toll on the spring!

Edited by farna - Jul/25/2017 at 7:00am
Frank Swygert
990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2017 at 2:52pm
Frank, thankyou.

Still taking the axle out. Have the wheels off like you said, but I realised if I just pull it out the end of the torque tube will fall on the floor with a great crash, not a good idea, so I need to juggle the jacks to support it.

Did talk on the phone to the chap about using a true CV joint. He isn't keen as he says they don't work well at engine revs unless the angular displacement is very small. I guess we'll talk again when I go in there.

Hopefully we can find a solution. As they say, where there's a wallet there's a way.

Ivor
Shopping Trolley
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2017 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by tomj tomj wrote:

if you get all the rubber isolators right the thing will be as smooth and quiet as a new car. those mid-60's torque tube "big cars" (10, 80, 40, 70 series, classics marlins ambassadors, etc) were probably AMCs best products. old Nash quality and some new AMC engineering mixed together.

Amen! I think the 1963-1966 Classic, Ambassador, and Marlin were AMC's best cars. They just ooze quality. The coil spring and latex foam-padded seats are truly remarkable for their quality construction. That is STILL the highest standard of seating construction to this day. 

The torque tube rear axle has a lot of unsprung weight, and tends to get weird shakes if radial tires are used, or at least that's what I've found on mine. My 1966 Marlin with bias ply tires on it rises as smooth and quiet as some much larger and more expensive luxury cars from manufacturers like Cadillac and Lincoln. I'm really impressed with the ride. 

Very high quality cars. Solid engineering. They were one of the few cars using fully transistorized alternators and voltage regulators at the time. I think AMC's engines were at their peak at that time. The 287, 327 were marvelous engines and the 232 just as good if not better. 

Marlins are really neat anyway because they were on the midsize Rambler Classic chassis, but had the full-size Ambassador's luxury interior. Plus, you got sporty styling that kind of bridged between the Classic and Ambassador. Marlins are much more of a personal luxury fastback than a "muscle car". I see them more in line with Rivera, Montego, and Charger than with Mustang, Barracuda, or GTO. 
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2017 at 7:25am
Ivor, throw an old foam cushion on the floor and let it fall. That's easier than trying to get a jack stand under it just right, and not tipping it over.

There isn't much angular displacement of the front CV joint -- only a few degrees. The big problem with a modern CV joint might be finding one that will fit in the tube. As noted, earlier models (even the big Nash cars) used a single joint with no issues. I doubt you would notice a difference between a single and a double cardan type CV. Well, you would notice a great improvement over what you have now!  While the issue is most likely the CV joint, you need to pull the tube and inspect if first. If it's good the center bearing could be bad (though less likely).
Frank Swygert
990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2017 at 2:32pm
Well that's definitely a 'why did I start this' type of job.

The interweb has been broken all day, so didn't see the further advice on here until now. But with two trolley jacks, an 80 year old screw jack, several blocks of oak and a lot of cussing, I got it out.
I started by taking the wheels off, in the process I managed to let one end of the axle fall off the jack and dented the rim of the brake drum, so that's the balance messed up. Fortunately my garage floor has plastic tiles otherwise it could have been a lot worse.

With the wheels off I found it too hard to drag the whole caboose backwards, so then I put the wheels on again and was able to pull the tube out of the trans. I did put a sack of sand underneath in case I dropped the tube, but I didn't.
Then I had to take the wheels off again so I could haul the axle out from under the car. I'm getting too old for this stuff.

Haven't tried taking the shaft out of the tube, I'll let the shop do that when I go and see them tomorrow. There seems to be a tiny bit of axial movement at the front of the prop, but I couldn't determine where.

I noticed a problem with the slip joint at the trans. The ground seal surface has a rough line around half the circumference, where the seal sits. I reckon the car has been parked for years with old watery ATF in it, and the water has seeped down to the bottom and corroded the bottom of the running surface.
Maybe that's where the ATF is escaping. In 200 miles it goes from full to off the dipstick. Lucky the water didn't rust the valve block in the trans.

So now that's three jobs to do - the brake drum, sleeve the seal face if possible, and the uj.
We have a saying - 'painting the Forth Bridge' meaning a job that's never finished.
Urrrgh.

Ivor
Shopping Trolley
Lucas660 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucas660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2017 at 3:25pm
Rims without tyres is an easy way to roll the assembly out.
Run some tape around the edge if you are worried about marking the floor.
Might make it easier to get back in. Once you have done it a few times it is really quite easy.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2017 at 7:49am
Well, luckily it's not a job that has to be done often. You might want to replace the u-joints while you have it out even if they aren't the issue. I've pulled 130K u-joints out of torque tubes that were as tight as the day they were put in though, so it's a tough call. The shaft should move around in the end of the tube, it will flex some. Pull the u-joint yoke out and the shaft will rest against the side of the tube -- that's normal. The center bearing stabilizes it at speed, but it's mounted in rubber. The shaft should pull out from the FRONT of the tube. I'd take the tube loose from the rear axle before trying to pull out. You can pry a littl on the tube/axle flange to get the tube and shaft off if necessary. If the tube is rusted a bit inside the shaft will be harder to get out, the bearing stays on the shaft and slides out.

You will need a rear transmission seal too -- that I'd replace unless I knew for sure it had been recently replaced -- and that's likely your trans fluid leak. Is there a drip out of the bell housing? That would be a front seal. If you have a leak there it's best to pull the trans and change it now, while the axle is out, or you get to do it all again. Just unbolt torque converter then drop trans with converter in. You know the rest of the deal, but just in case... pull converter, replace seal, put converter on, jack back in place, bolt up, you're done!

Edited by farna - Jul/27/2017 at 7:52am
Frank Swygert
990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2017 at 2:20pm
Seals... you're confusing me with someone who plans. I didn't want to do this job, been ignoring it for a few months, then on the spur of the moment I decided I had to do it before some other part of the driveline gets damaged from the vibration.
So, no seals.

You're right, the axle drips. But having run a 1970s Land Rover for 17 years I'm pretty inured to dripping.
The trans is going to get rebuilt, but not by me. I bet that box weighs more than some cars I've owned, no way am I going to try taking it out. There's a company 120 miles away - down the road by your standards - that has a drive in drive out service for slush boxes, I hope they'll rebuild it. Haven't called them yet, partly because I'm afraid of finding out they won't. But it's on the list.

Here's the axle cluttering up my garage

and here's the spontaneous modification to the brake drum that keeps the axle from rolling around on the floor.

The prop is with the repair shop now. Perhaps ready Tuesday. Perhaps not if my experience of repair shops is anything to go by.
Weekend after next we're supposed to be going various places in the car. Fingers crossed.

Ivor
Shopping Trolley
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic