TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

encased driveshaft?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dafox99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: encased driveshaft?
    Posted: Jul/05/2017 at 10:01am
Hey gang.  My first post.  WAY back, I owned a lot of Detroit steel.  GS455, Mustangs, and GTO's.  Then I had kids.  Kids are grown and long gone.  Rode motorcycles for awhile, and don't trust my eyes/reflexes anymore.  I just bought my first AMC.  1966 Marlin.  It's a beauty.  232.

I replaced all the rubber and ball joints in the front, and refreshed the R12 with 134.

I need to resurface the clutch.  In all my days, I've never seen an encased driveshaft.  Was just going to pull a U-joint, and pull the tranny back, but it doesn't seem that easy.  I thought I'd get some smarts on what to do now.  It seems if I unbolt this pipe, it still won't drop, because there is a driveshaft inside it?  Do I have to drop the differential just to get to the clutch?  Clearly, I'm missing something here.  Thanks in advance for any insight/advice.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2017 at 10:08am
I would definitely pick up a TSM as it will come in handy. There is a lot on that car that is not like muscle cars you have dealt with.

The correct term for the type of axle is torque tube.

The reason why you may need to obtain a TSM, is that not only it Is different, there are some key things to check on for maintenance. The TSM can assist with how to properly replace and adjust once something is taken apart.

Put a want request in our wanted section for your year on a TSM, as there are members here who have some for sale.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
dafox99 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dafox99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2017 at 10:49am
Thank you, sir.  I actually ordered one, and it on its way!  And, yes .. this is a different beast.
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2017 at 11:01am
They were built like a modern 2017 Corvette.....one piece drive line, very advanced for their time!

Just Google 2017 Corvette Driveline and you will see your Marlin!

Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2017 at 11:41am
I used to have a Rambler with a torque tube. It has been almost 50 years but I recall disconnecting everything that held the rear in place (not really many things), disconnecting the torque tube from the tranny and sliding the whole rear assembly back enough to separate it from the tranny. It is not as hard as you might think and it is quite intuitive if you look it over. I had mine in and out several times, in an old chicken coup before I ever thought of owning a lift. 
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
dafox99 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dafox99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2017 at 12:21pm
HA!  Thanks.  Will do.
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2017 at 1:34pm
I think the panhard/track bar kept it centered side to side, the tranny kept it in place front to rear and the shocks kept it from overextending and letting the springs fall out.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2017 at 7:03am
That's pretty much it 6768togues! I always use a floor jack to jack the rear end up, from the back. Put jack stands under the body in front of the tires (on the jack pads), then TAKE THE WHEELS OFF. Once everything else is disconnected (brake line, park brake, panhard rod, shocks... and the four bolts holding TT to trans) just slide it back on the floor jack. With the wheels off you let the jack down and don't have to jack the body up so high. With stock width tire you can probably slide it back far enough to drop the TT with the wheels in the wheel wells, I don't recall. 

The front yoke on front is double ended, so will pull off the shaft as well as out of the trans. Just a slip joint on the rear at the pinion shaft. Six cylinder cars used a single u-joint and a solid shaft (like an axle shaft) with a center bearing to prevent "whipping" inside the tube. If you take it loose from the axle end the tube and shaft will come off. The shaft will pull out from the front of the tube with the bearing. It's been a long time in there, so the bearing may not pull out easy. I wouldn't pull it at all unless I had to, don't want to risk damaging that bearing! Won't hurt to pull shaft/tube off though. No need unless you're leaking diff oil from the front seal of need to work on the rear axle though. The u-joint is most likely fine -- I've pulled 100K+ units apart to find the u-joint as tight as the day iut was put on. Protected from dust and water inside the tube.

V-8s use a double Cardan (double u-joint) constant velocity joint. It has a centering pin and spring mechanism to keep it from flopping around in the center section. Unfortunately they wear after 50 years or so and there aren't many rebuild kits (if any). That type joint was used by Lincoln in the early 60s also, but both Lincoln and Rambler only used them for 4-5 years, then they disappeared. The V-8 shaft is different though -- uses a solid back half with a tubular front half (in front of the centering bearing) . This makes it relatively easy for a driveshaft shop to cut the front part and lengthen for a single u-joint -- which works fine. 56-62 Rambler V-8 cars used a single u-joint, only the 63-66 models used the CV joint.
Frank Swygert
dafox99 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dafox99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2017 at 11:49am
Thanks gang.  Yeah ... disconnected the tube at the front.  I had to pull the read shocks to get the diff to slide back far enough to get the splines out, but mission accomplished!  Now, I can't find a dang clutch kit.  Guess I'll post on that now.  All input has been appreciated.
dafox99 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dafox99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2017 at 11:51am
Thanks, Frank.  You seem to know a lot of stuff.  I'm having the flywheel resurfaced, but can't seem to find a clutch kit anywhere for this.  In fact, I suspect the one that was in there may be wrong.  I can find kits everywhere for V8s, but haven't found one anywhere for the 3.8.  Any thoughts?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic