TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

emissions removal 78 258 concord

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dartravens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: emissions removal 78 258 concord
    Posted: Jul/01/2015 at 6:33pm
when removing emissions what do i need to keep in mind. Im in an area where smog is not a issue and i have a stock 258 with ac and a carter 2 barrel, power steering and smog pump. looking for advice on how this is done right without air leaks i have removed the belt that drives the smog pump so far
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2015 at 6:27am
Just the smog pump isn't an issue. Pull all the stuff off and plug all the line fittings. Should be nothing more than the lines running into the intake, as the smog pump just pumped fresh air into the intake. This added a bit of oxygen into the exhaust so that unburned compounds could burn some more inside the exhaust pipe. It didn't just dilute the exhaust to fool the electronic sniffers as some believe.
Frank Swygert
Snotty View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2015 at 11:36am
Don't know on a 6, but on a V8 manifold, some of the nipples and connectors can be unscrewed, removed, and closed with a screw plug. I would suggest that as opposed to just plugging any of them with rubber caps. If necessary that is....
Son's car: '73 Gremlin X, 401, T-10, Mopar 8.75 rear with 3.23 sure grip. My car: '70 Newport Convertible, 440 automatic
Mr. Ed View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2015 at 2:01pm
The smog manifold runs into the intake. You will need 1/4" pipe plugs to plug those ports. The bracket that holds the pump also holds the power steering pump. I had mine off so it was easy to cut off the top of that bracket so it didn't look like there was something missing. I left the EGR valve on just unplugged the hose from it. The rest of the vacuum hoses serve some sort of function so they should be left in place.

Later!
Mr. Ed
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo "Gwendolyn."
1978 Concord Sport coupe "Mr. Black".
1982 Concord wagon. The Admiral. FOR SALE!
1976 Sportabout X, 304, auto, air. The Bronze Goddess

kidgrem View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kidgrem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2015 at 4:36pm
If the smog equipment still works Would you like to sell.
I have a 78 Gremlin Gt I would like to keep original the pump and parts are missing.
I can look in the book and see if they are the same.
Gary
dartravens View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dartravens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2015 at 4:48pm
ILL TAKE A LOOK ON THE SMog PARTS LAST I KNEW THEY WERE GOOD IT PASSED SMOG LAST YEAR BUT I DECIDED TO MODIFY IT SINCE IM OUT SIDE CITY LIMITS sry bout the caps :) the trick is getting it from me to you
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2015 at 6:07pm
I did my '82 Eagle. I'm keeping the EGR (just in case I get a bad tank of fuel. It cuts the ping) and the evaporator catch tank and PCV which helps keep the oil clean and makes the motor last longer.

To keep:
Vacuum controls for the heater
EGR (unless you have no ping issues in your area)
PCV
Power brake
Cruise
AC

To remove:
AIR system (cat must be removed or gutted too or the floor may catch fire)
Extraneous hoses and check valves too.

Frankly, I would switch to an '82 up intake/exhaust for better flow.
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dartravens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2015 at 6:24pm
doing a 4.0 head swap eventually

AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dartravens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2015 at 6:30pm
just had a freind give me a working vortech supercharger i wanna adapt when i get better off a Tahoe today yay. no good shop though to make brackets so im stuck on that for a while
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2015 at 6:52pm
Too bad you aren't closer. I'm selling a Renix head plus a complete '93 HO 4.0L for parts (VERY low oil pressure due to Fram filters for 240K plus miles)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic