TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Electric wiper sweep/park irratic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70amcpwr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electric wiper sweep/park irratic
    Posted: Apr/17/2013 at 6:39am
Has anyone had the issue with the sweep of the wipers not going the full distance on the first one or two times than going a little further the rest of the times (consistently), then when turning them off when the reverse they park too low? This is with the drivers side arm adjusted so it won't go off of the A pillar (barely), when parked the wiper isn't parallel with the lower windshield trim, slightly downward. I've tried 3 different cams on the wiper shaft and still have the same results. All parts have been cleaned and lubricated, only thing I did notice was a little out of round wear where the wiper motor cam attaches to the control arm, but with the cam I'm using I don't think (not sure) that it's the issue. It seems to me the park switch (internal behind the cover) isn't shutting the motor off soon enough. It's controlled by a little bent up tab on the gear that really offers no adjustment as far as I can tell, I did try. If it was any type of wear issue with the mechanisms I would think the motor wouldn't "push" the wiper arm far enough or "pull" it down enough when parking. This is with a dry windshield, in my experience wet will only make the problem worse by reducing friction which will increase the sweep. I'm about to remove the park wheel on the gear and just park them manually, how often will the wipers get used? Never if I'm lucky!
70amcpwr You just can't fix stupid.
SOLD 1970 BBO Javelin, wifes 73 AMX 360 4spd. Next project 1969 AMX
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2013 at 6:45am
If I remember correctly there is a small spring on the shaft behind the cam. I am not 100% sure of it's function but I have been told by several people it helps with parking the wipers. Could the spring be the issue for you?

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2013 at 6:59am
That's one thing I set when I rebuild wiper motors - the park angle.

Is the cam assembled properly?
Motor away from you wiper arm facing you....
Large thin spring/wave washer goes on the arm shaft,
Then the eccentric spring slides over the shaft,
Then the large eccentric cam with the R facing you, and the L toward the wiper motor
Next the plastic eccentric linkage cam,
Next the snap ring or clip to hold the eccentric all in place. Parts should be lubricated with a good quality grease.
When the motor is all assembled, before you put it back in the car, run it a bit, then stop it. Now wire it to "park". When it stops or is parked, the arm should be 13 degrees off horizontal, or if the motor armature is held perfectly level the arm should stop or park 13 degrees off a line drawn through the armature.

70amcpwr View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70amcpwr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2013 at 7:03am
It's new. It was real tight on the shaft so I loosened it a little. Also tried a used (and tired) one, no change. I question all that play that the picture clearly shows? Thanks for the quick thought/response!
70amcpwr View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70amcpwr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2013 at 7:13am
Thanks billd, it's assembled as you mentioned and there's a dished washer that goes on before the retaining clip that I've tried dish in and out. The puzzling thing to me is the inconsistent sweep, why short on the first couple than long. BTW, this motor came w/the project and is NO where as nice as the ones you do! Adjusting the angle park is something I'll look at What controls that? Is it as simple as removing the large gear from the worm drive and indexing it so the rear control shaft is as you've described?

Edited by 70amcpwr - Apr/17/2013 at 7:20am
amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2013 at 9:24am
A poor ground will make it do funny things as well.
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development
70amcpwr View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70amcpwr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2013 at 12:07pm
They operate fine, just park too low. I'm concerned if I move the arm one more spline on the shaft it'll send the wiper onto the trim. As it is now wiper travel is within an inch of the trim with a dry windshield.

Edited by 70amcpwr - Apr/17/2013 at 12:24pm
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2013 at 8:46pm
As long as all else is right, adjusting park position is a matter of rotating the park switch on the wiper motor.

It pivots on the point shown here - rotate the switch as needed for park angle.
No need to disassemble wiper motor, but having it off the car allows you to get the 13 degrees set as shown in the other pictures.

70amcpwr View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70amcpwr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2013 at 5:58am
Now that sounds like the answer, I'll give that a try. Thanks! 
DrNoose View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrNoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2014 at 7:04pm
Just a quick thanks to Bill on this thread....my wipers were parking 180 degrees off. Taking off the switch cover and re-keying them did the trick.

Dan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic