TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Electric kick down switch for trans. replace??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dirtydan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electric kick down switch for trans. replace??
    Posted: Jun/15/2017 at 5:40pm
I made a post recently regarding some issues I have been experiencing with my Transmission (under the trans section). I have some more questions about my electric kick down switch and figured that this section would be a better place for this. 

The kick down switch on the car is electric and is not functioning. The switch is really sticky and does not return all the way and there is quite a bit of corrosion and oxidation. All of the wires seem to be connected to the right places though. I didn't check the condition of the connection leading to the trans. From what I understand the electric switch leads to a solenoid in the transmission that activates something that allows a downshift. I'm getting my transmission serviced soon and the mechanic I talked to said that he would check if the aforementioned mechanism is working properly. 

My question is wether or not I can install any generic kickdown switch in place of the broken one on my car. I have been looking online for a long time and I have not been able to find one that matches mine perfectly. It seems like a pretty simple design, i mean its basically a button, right? If am able to find a switch that is at least similar to the stock would there be any issues with it other than some basic modifications. Has anyone found a good replacement? I have a 1969 Rambler with a 232 six and a 3speed automatic trans. In my previous post someone recommended I check out the Nash Parts website, and there is a part with the description "1967-71 amc six kickdown solenoid switch". The image did not match what mine looks like at all.
These are some photos of the switch in my car, keep scrolling down and you'll see the switches from the nash site

Below is the switch listed on the nash website as compatible with my car "amc six 67-71". 

This image is of the switch for amc cars 1959-62, It looks a little bit more like the one on my car. Would this be compatible?
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2017 at 6:09pm
Yours looks like my 71 switch in my car. Mine works but not sure about it its condition after so many years in storage now.

I can remove it in the morn a check it out to its full travel and return.

I tested mine slightly by hand and it seems soft and smooth on its action, so I have a feeling once I test it's function with the ohm meter, i will find it suitable.

If it does check out, I'd sell on an exchange basis. For $16.00 with shipping included.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2017 at 6:11pm
The one on the "nash website" is the one in the transmission.  On  AMC 1968 and previous years the kick down switch was mounted on the linkage at the firewall in the engine compartment.  The switch you are looking for started in 1969 on the pedal with Borg Warner Automatics.  What model car are you working on, I may have a good used one, depending on the model....feel free to PM me.

Ross
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2017 at 3:09am
Here is my pix and fully tested ok, with auto learn adjustment setting function as well.

Note I took pictures with auto learn set, so when installed be sure not to push the plunger in too far, as the accelerator when fully depressed will move the plunger in and set it.

My price stands with old part exchange only.

Edited by 304-dude - Jun/16/2017 at 3:13am
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2017 at 6:38am
Dan...Sent you PM with used and NOS available.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic