TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Electric fans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mytcar34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electric fans
    Posted: Dec/24/2013 at 1:07pm
Is there horse power to be gained going to electric fans over conventional? Im guessing maybe 10 hp.
Mytcar
68 AMX
34 Ford
2004 Mustang Funny Car
fast401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fast401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2013 at 1:43pm
From what I have read there is a gain in HP.
Disturbing the peace since 1970!!!   AMX 19245
Facebook page - AMC Nation
www.fast-401.4t.com
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2013 at 1:50pm
There is some but 10 hp might be pushing it.
One of the mags I thought did a test but dont remember what one.
Now what you save on running the elect fan you are moving over to the ALT to put back in the batt so what have you really saved? What about the water pump you running elect also? Then again what you saved you use up with the ALT.
OR do you turn the ALT off along with the elect water pump & fan? If so is your IGN. system getting the full volts needed to run? It takes more volts the higher the RPM to run right. Think there was a write up on this too.
Are you running lite weight oil in the motor, rear & stick trany and maybe run the trany & rear a little lower so as not to have to move the oil? Do you warm them up before each run and if so how long from warm up to run time?

What class you running brackets? If so who cares about the above as long as you run the number.
I ran a stock v8 Gremlin (stret car) and my drag only 70 Javelin in brackets so I did not do any of that stuff above and both ran the numbers each time so why mess with a good thing.
Just my .02
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2013 at 3:02pm
I remember a test done by Hot Rod or Car Craft many years ago.
It was on a SBC, 7 bladed fan, 17 HP at 6000 rpm is what comes to mind.

I'll see if I can find the test in my old mags, I keep them all.

The advantage of a electric fan is you can run it only when it's needed.

I've got one on my 82 J10, I use mostly for towing. It's only running when I'm in slow traffic, or doing a long slow pull up a hill. The truck actually cruises at 60-65 with the electric fan not running at a lower temperature than it did with the engine fan. The engine fan blocked airflow thru the radiator at higher speeds.

Faster warm ups, quieter running, a little bit better mileage, and a little more power.

Since my truck already had a fairly heavy duty alternator, and the fan's only running a fraction of the time, I didn't upgrade my charging system. It been that way since 2004 or 5, in constant use in the summer for towing, and winter for deep woods errands, no overheat or battery problems so far.

But I see no advantage to it unless you put it on a thermo switch that only turns it on when needed, if it runs all the time, why do it.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
390spirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 390spirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2013 at 3:13pm
I've posted before what it was worth in the 1/4 mile time wise but have since forgotten.....but it was well worth the swap!
Mytcar34 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mytcar34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2013 at 8:56am
My AMX is set up as a street strip nostalgia car current radiator has been patched thinking about ordering a aluminum replacement with twin fans have run the sane setup on my 34 ford for years.
Mytcar
68 AMX
34 Ford
2004 Mustang Funny Car
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2013 at 10:40am
Originally posted by 390spirit 390spirit wrote:

I've posted before what it was worth in the 1/4 mile time wise but have since forgotten.....but it was well worth the swap!
If running heads up I can see it but brackets and most of us have the stock parts on the car and they are doing their job why spend the $$ to swap over?
Maybe it because I am cheap Confused 

On my 02 Durango the pusher elect. fan only runs when the A/C is on other wise it is off. I can also tell you it is needed when stuck in traffic A/C on and pulling a trailer. 
Dave ----

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
390spirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 390spirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2013 at 11:43am
very true Dave, with bracket racing it wouldn't make as much of a difference.

I got a heck of a deal on my fan setup (free) so I couldn't pass that up lol

1 other thing I did notice is the engine revs a little quicker without that fan spinning on the front!
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2013 at 8:03am
Originally posted by 390spirit 390spirit wrote:

very true Dave, with bracket racing it wouldn't make as much of a difference.

I got a heck of a deal on my fan setup (free) so I couldn't pass that up lol

1 other thing I did notice is the engine revs a little quicker without that fan spinning on the front!
With a deal like that I would look into doing the elect fan on my bracket car too.
I did say I was cheap Wink
Dave ----

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/26/2013 at 11:46am
I'm going to respectfully disagree on the bracket racing comments.

I find an electric fan (and water pump) to be a critical weapon in a bracket racers arsenal. Consistency is king on a bracket car, and having a cooling system you can control to have the exact consistent temperature is of critical importance to repeat ET. As well you can get the temperature correctly cool between rounds as long as you throw out the thermostat. I target hitting the starting line at 140, and with some practice it is easy. Also the ability to cool the car between rounds allows a you to use a way undersized cooling system, big weight reduction. The car must be treated like a bracket car instead of a street car to do this; takes a different mentality. Do not sit there running under any circumstances. I ran a 6 cyl rad on the Hornet, and it was fine once you figured out the tricks. The car would repeat 8 passes within .01. Again do not run a thermostat and block the bypasses.

Water pumps and fans are designed to be effective at idle rpm, and are way wrong for high rpm, eating way more power than required. Using a proper designed electric water pump (admittedly those are not cheap) only uses about 7 amps, and say another 10 for a fan. Even if the fan is on (not necessary as it's real purpose is cooling between rounds) the total alternator load is a miniscule fraction of that required to run a mechanical fan and water pump at high rpm and so far off it's design point.

Between the lighter weight of a small rad (and less coolant), the ability to run at the right temp, and the more power there is probably 2 tenths in a correct electric pump and fan, and a better and more consistent race car.

I've never had a mechanical fan on an automotive toy for 35 years I consider it that much of an advantage, even experimented with an electric water pump on the street. It does work if you want it to. On the street you do have to be more careful though as the heat loading is so much higher. Higher steady state rpm are a real load on the system.

But on a bracket car it is a no brainer.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic