TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

elect fans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcjarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2014 at 7:10am
"Those fans move a LOT of air."

How much is enough in a V8 car with stock radiator ? Would 2000 cfm get the job done ? 

1969 S/C Rogueler
390spirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 390spirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/05/2014 at 8:45am
Mopar_Guy, I'll get you some measurements and post them here for you.

Traveler, yes they do move air rather well and the price was right where I needed it to be   

mcjarv, this works great on my 390 spirit with a stock eagle wagon radiator, I don't see any reason it won't work on a V-8 rad.
1968Javelin343 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1968Javelin343 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2014 at 7:22pm
Ok Tony, you have had them installed for a week or two, right? Are you happy with them? Any positives or negatives? Looking to get the same setup and I would love any input.

Bryan
Bryan
1968 Javelin 343
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/13/2014 at 7:55pm
I'd like that measurement if you have time please.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
390spirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 390spirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/24/2014 at 6:54am
17 1/2" tall

24" wide

3 3/4" deep
mcjarv View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcjarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2014 at 5:43pm
FWIW to American owners;
Once I figured out that my dual fan setup was only 2000 cfm I was suspect and during the charging of my A/C with a 80 degree ambient my engine temp went high. The radiator is a new 3 core from APD and the 3750 cfm fans are Derale #16833 from Summit, some modifications were required to the shroud but nothing serious. Seems to have solved the problem.

1969 S/C Rogueler
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2014 at 10:12pm
I thought I would add to this post to show what I came up with. I ran into the same issue Tony had with water pump clearance so I started looking for a dual fan setup that would fit nice but wasn't $250 or more. What I found was a 95-00 V6 Ford Contour fan module. New they're $100 and used $25-$35 and are "suppose" to flow 3000 cfm. I couldn't ask for a nicer fit! I trimmed the factory tabs off and I had to take a little off the bottom to get it to fit the way I wanted. I hooked them to a Flex A Lite variable speed controller and so far so good. Here's a few pictures of what they look like.

mcjarv View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcjarv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2014 at 8:48am
Looks good, keep us posted on how it cools, according to the video on the Summit web site 3000 cfm aint enough,,,,hope they are wrong. Jury is still out on mine and it's supposed to move 3700 cfm.

Mike

1969 S/C Rogueler
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2014 at 7:49pm
I thought I would update my fan experiment and I have to say the fans keep up just fine on a 87° day, sitting in bumper to bumper traffic with the a/c on. The temp gauge never moved over it's normal position which is about 190° where I have the fans set to come on with a 180° thermostat. They're quiet and cheap compared to most aftermarket fans but not as pretty.

73hornut View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2014 at 9:55am
Originally posted by Mopar_guy Mopar_guy wrote:

I thought I would update my fan experiment and I have to say the fans keep up just fine on a 87° day, sitting in bumper to bumper traffic with the a/c on. The temp gauge never moved over it's normal position which is about 190° where I have the fans set to come on with a 180° thermostat. They're quiet and cheap compared to most aftermarket fans but not as pretty.
Looks like you could swap in  2 speed motors from taurus fans?
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1602825606650796
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic