TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Edelbrock NHRA Heads

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Bubblefender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2012 at 1:16pm
Out of the box they flow well and much better than stock heads. Its a good deal for racers even with a 50lb weight penalty. Thanks for the HEADS up D.
We are just about to forge new AMC V8 crankshafts.. please check here
http://www.bulltear.com/forums/showthread.php?19564
Class Guy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Class Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2012 at 3:26pm
The weight penalty will be much more than 50 lbs.  The use of the Edelbrock heads carries with it an additional 10 hp added to the power factor.  If you do not know, NHRA Stock and Super Stock structure classifies cars by a power to weight factor.  As an example, a car with a 3000 lb. shipping weight and a 300 hp engine will have a power to weight factor of 10 lbs/hp/.  The classes are formed to include all manufacturers' cars with similar power to weight factors together to make heads-up racing somewhat equitable.  Stock classes start at 6 lbs/hp and create a new class every half-pound or pound change.  So, a car like Jeff Lee's fits into a class that has a 9.50 lb./hp factor.  If he uses the Edelebrock heads, it will add 10 hp onto his power rating and he will have to add 9.5 lb/hp x 10 hp or 95 lbs. to his car to stay in the same class.  Jeff's car is one of the higher classed AMC combinations and the weight penalty is not as great.  If, as an example, someeone were racing a 1972 Matador with a 360, that car fits into a class (J/S) that has a 12.5 lb/hp factor.  Adding the Edelbrock heads to that car would require and additional 125 lbs to remain in the same class.  Racers will have to evaluate each individual situation to determine if the move to the Edelbrock heads is an advantage or disadvantage in performance.
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2012 at 5:33pm
I talked to an Edelbrock representative at SEMA in November and he told me it was a simple matter of"We want to sell more Aluminum AMC cylinder heads! not the old AMC heads . " So they talked NHRA into it. LRDaum
LRDaum
Aljav View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aljav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2012 at 10:15pm
I know that some AMC racers have been after NHRA for the heads and if Edelbrock helped out with the deal all the better.

And I know a few more things are being worked on. I haven't heard how that is going. Hopefully that has gone well.

A big Plus + for class racers. I can't wait to see how this affect ET andspeeds once some testing is done.

AWESOME  Thumbs Up

Allan
69 AMX 9.86 132 mph 71 JAV/AMX and 69 Javelin, .. NAMDRA member #1106
tomslik View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomslik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2012 at 6:41am
well, it don't help me (290)
:(

67 american 290/4speed
Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2012 at 9:26am
Dennis The Menace! I recall you work for edelbrock? Is there a possibility they would have an AMC alum head there they would sell that is full of porosity or scrap? something unusable but machined? I would like to have one for my header making fixture...

Edited by Hurst390 - Jan/07/2012 at 9:27am
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
Class Guy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Class Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2012 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by mramc mramc wrote:

I talked to an Edelbrock representative at SEMA in November and he told me it was a simple matter of"We want to sell more Aluminum AMC cylinder heads! not the old AMC heads . " So they talked NHRA into it. LRDaum
x2    And not just AMC heads.  They (Edelbrock) got a bunch of heads approved by NHRA at the same time:

They already have approval for FE Fords, Big Block MoPars, Big block Oldsmobile and are the manufacturer of Chevy's big block aliuminum replacement head.  They are in the business to sell product and are working all angles to be successful.
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2012 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by Hurst390 Hurst390 wrote:

Dennis The Menace! I recall you work for edelbrock? Is there a possibility they would have an AMC alum head there they would sell that is full of porosity or scrap? something unusable but machined? I would like to have one for my header making fixture...

I'm not sure Jim, but I'll take a look next week. There may still be an old SEMA display head. I'll let you know next week.

Dennis  
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2012 at 6:04pm
Thank You Dennis!
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
gremlin1945 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlin1945 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2012 at 6:10pm
Nhra supposedly approved a bunch of Group 19 parts for the 290-401s across the board and did it cause WW III.I think they're about to reevaluate that decision based on the fact that the parts really aren't AMC manufactured nor factory installed.One of the parts approved was a Holley carb rated at 780 CFM.If i'm not mistaken the original approved carb was a 950 CFM piece.Either way no AMC (except the SS cars)left Kenosha/Brampton with a Holley carb. If the parts were approved for SS only and didn't include Stock I think it might have flown.
 Just the opinion of an old retired drag racer.

former NHRA #1945

former IHRA #1945

T/SA
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic