TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Edelbrock heads

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71AMX4014SPD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Edelbrock heads
    Posted: Oct/04/2015 at 8:34am
Those of you who have Edelbrock heads, what comp ratio do you have? And what is the highest C/R that DOESN'T require octane boosters or AV gas?
1968 Javelin 360 727 B/W/R
1970 AMX 390 4spd Bayshore Blue
1971 Jav/AMX 401 4spd B6
Ant View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2015 at 12:05pm
Aluminum heads allow for a point higher in compression roughly but it depends on your camshaft as well.
http://www.enginebasics.com/Advanced%20Engine%20Tuning/Static%20vs%20Dynamic.html
73 AMX project 401 stroker, t-56 mag
Full-time machinist
bob401 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2015 at 7:10pm
 I have 10:1 TRW forged pistons, Edelbrock heads.. Initial timing I believe  is at 16 BTDC,  total maybe 36 with a Edelbrock RPM Cam..  i use 93 Octane in Texas but it seams my car loves Octane boost. It seams to even idle a bit different.. Its like each detonation is more pronounced or defined..  After changing my plugs a few weeks ago, there wasn't any detonation signs.  
KLW View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KLW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/04/2015 at 7:18pm
I have a set of eddys on my Spirit. The pistons are autotec with 26cc dishes in them that gives me about 10.5 to 1 on the 420 stroker. I run 91 non-oxy premium with no problems. I wouldn't go much higher than that on the comp ratio.
1981 Spirit
(420 cu in stroker - 570 hp)
1966 Ford Fairlane Convertible
(331 Cu In - 450 HP)
RamblinMan View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RamblinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2015 at 10:28pm
10.5:1 with 18 degrees initial and 36 total. I run 93 octane pump gas and no booster.

The Right Reverend of Blessed Acceleration
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/05/2015 at 11:45pm
The answer to your question in part depends on the highest octane available locally AND the compression ratio of your engine.
Here where I live 91 octane is all that is available at the average service station, typically in the S.W.
So of your compression ratio is pretty much anything over 9:1 an octane boost or AV gas is going to be required.
If you have 93 octane gasoline easily available then your 10.5:1 is going to be pretty much safe. Depending of course on how you tune things. But don't drive too far from a 93 octane pump.
Just keep in mind, detonation causes pistons to break and feeding your ride the proper fuel to run it is a whole bunch cheaper than fishing broken piston parts out of the places that can get into.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
RamblinMan View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RamblinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2015 at 7:27am
I've lived all over the SE United States and never had any problem finding 93 octane. Must be a southwest oddity.
The Right Reverend of Blessed Acceleration
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2015 at 7:53am
John, remember that with AL heads you can run a bit higher compression than iron, as they dissipate heat better. So your 9:1 becomes 10:1 on premium pump gas. Personally, I'd stay in the 9.0-9.5:1 range and not go as high as 10:1. Formulation for gas changes, and you may not be able to get 91-93 premium in years to come. I like a little lee-way too, don't like running right on the edge. You can always reduce timing if you are traveling and can't get premium temporarily, or use octane booster in that situation. Most likely if you're running real high compression you're not going to be taking many long trips though...
Frank Swygert
74Bubblefender View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Bubblefender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2015 at 8:10am
Its more to do with the chamber shape than the aluminum. And your dynamic compression ratio in the end cant really be a simple answer for every engine build. If you follow the basic camshaft guidelines and shoot for an average cam grind available for your compression ratio your static compression might be 10.5-1 but your dynamic compression will be far less. Just something to be aware of before you go throwing a smaller cam and a 10.5-1 ration edelbrock headed motor together. Or thinking you can run virtually any camshaft.
We are just about to forge new AMC V8 crankshafts.. please check here
http://www.bulltear.com/forums/showthread.php?19564
bbgjc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbgjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2015 at 8:13am
I'm right about 10.25 to 1. Custom Diamonds pistons. Comp Cams standard hyd cam. Full roller rockers.  If you are really interested the specifics I can dig up the parts list and engine build details.
Haven't had any issues here in the WDC Metro area.  Not that I get to drive it muchCry
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic