TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Edelbrock heads vs Indy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2017 at 5:05am
Oh yeah, the guides were tight and they were not straight so I honed them straight to .0016-.0018 clearance. 

I told someone else, these heads are technically bolt on but they are not up to top quality out of the box. They will bolt on and run but that is not the quality I am interested in.

If someone does not care so much about it they will work out of the box. Indy will also work out of the box but like Ken and others have said, they need work if you want top quality heads.

Factor it all in and like jtsllc! alluded to, a set of ported cast iron heads does not look so bad after all.
Specializing in dyno services, engine building, and cylinder head porting

rbjracing.com
Phone Number 518-915-3203
jcisworthy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2017 at 5:53am
One more thing to think about. 

The amount of work it takes to get 200CFM on the exhaust is as much or more than what it takes on an iron head. 

I would recommend Indy heads if you want aluminum or a set of ported heads if not

rbjracing.com
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2017 at 5:55am
Set of ported iron heads if not. 

rbjracing.com
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2017 at 12:17pm
My only fear with iron heads is cracking them.

It seems the 51cc's are more prone to that than the later heads,
but worry about cracking a set of perfect, newly machined & ported heads would keep me up at night Confused
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2017 at 12:32pm
Also,
Not sure if these prices are still good 

AMC Heads
These heads are reconditioned and come assembled with a “like new” apperance and quality, with all new Aeromaxx parts installed and a milled deck surface.  These heads have outstanding features that include premium one-piece, stainless steel, high flow valves, heat treated and machined steel retainers and valve locks, seals, bronze wall valve guides, 3 angle valve job, and heavy duty valve springs.  All heads listed accept their respective stock equipment (i.e. intake manifolds, exhaust headers and manifolds, valve train, valve covers, and accessory bolt holes)  Must state cam lift when ordering head assembilies.

Block Heads (Assembled)

Part
Description
Price
360-401
Select 344/502 Cast Iron Castings, 2.08X1.74 Stainless Valves, 58cc Chambers, .550” Lift Springs, and 3/8 Studs & 5/16 guide plates come standard.  All heads feature “Dog Leg” exhaust port
$599.00
pair
Indy
401 SR
Indy Cylinder Heads aluminum 401 SR head. Head is assembled with 2.100 x 1.650 stainless steel valves, chrome moly steel retainers, 7/16 studs, 5/16 guide plates, seals and bronze guides. Intake volume is 235 cc with a 61 cc combustion chamber. The heads are designed with the “Dog Leg” exhausr port. All stock AMC and aftermarket intake manifolds will fit. Assemblies are custom built for your cam and engine specs.
$1990.00
pair
Edelbrock
Performer
RPM
Fully assembled Edelbrock heads. 2.02 x 1.60 stainless steel valves, .550 lift springs, chrome moly retainers, hard locks and umbrella seals. Also 3/8 studs and 5/16 guide plates are installed

$1499.00
pair

71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2017 at 1:11pm
The only iron heads I have seen weep water out near the outer head bolt area are the 291 castings. I know others have mentioned other castings cracking. 

I heard bad things about the Aerohead's. Never had a set but I heard from someone who worked on them before and he said that the quality was terrible. 

If you have a leak in any head, I have had success with Caswell gas tank sealer. Like any sealer, epoxy, etc, the heads have to be spotless clean. 

I tape off all water holes except one and pour the better part of a quart in the water jacket, tape the hole shut, tilt the head in all directions for a few minutes, drain it, pour it in the other head and repeat. 

So far no issues. It leaves about a .060" layer, maybe more, in the entire water jacket. 

I know others who have used is with success also.

rbjracing.com
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2017 at 7:39pm
My 1970 390 head(s) cracked at the front exhaust bolt at the edge of the milled surface.
There was a sharp corner in the intersection of the milled surfaces.
I am reasonably sure that caused the crack.

It did not leak badly, just a few drops here and there. So I let it leak...
Gremlin Dreams
mmechlin View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmechlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2017 at 4:52pm
567 h/p . Seems impressive, What engine do you have in your rambler? What else have you done to it.

Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2017 at 7:29pm
It's a 426, relatively trick build. Edelbrock heads with about 2.5 sq in min csa (lots of work), Torker enlarged to match, 1000 Pro-systems, 1 3/4 hookers, 10.2 compression, 232 HR with good valvetrain and beehives, and a few tricks in the shortblock. There was some effort to make the HR rpm, and the combo was matched for midrange. At 1.31 ft-lbs/in it was right up there on output, and the HR did hang on to 6500 rpm. It did make more power than I expected. As I said a bit of an experiment in max streetable output. If the Rambler was set up for race (slicks, auto with race converter, open pipes, electric water pump) it would be a low 10 combo, but it's a street car with a stick so the poor launch keeps it to only an 11 flat.
mmechlin View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmechlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2017 at 8:01pm
Stroked 401?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic