TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Edelbrock heads vs Indy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2017 at 4:07pm
I was told many many moons ago it was originally for the air injection.
they were committed to production when the idea was abandoned.

BS? maybe but it makes sense.
Gremlin Dreams
kingsX View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingsX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2017 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by shootist shootist wrote:

Interesting discussion. KingsX, I am very pleased with my setup and the Edelbrock heads work just fine. The largest problem that I have is getting traction. You will have none on the streets guaranteed regardless of which head you choose. So, unless you are trying to be as comptetive as possible the Eddy heads are a great bolt on that require little to no work. If you were near me I would take you for a spin and let you see for yourself. The thing is quite extreme and scares me everytime I stomp the long skinny pedal.

There's an AMC racer guy that lives near me that recommended the Indy's. That was my main reason for the post. I'm glad I started it now. Great info goin on here. If only I understood all of it. I'm still waiting for my stroker kit to come from Tom Molnar. Should be here by the end of November..... I hope. I've got the 401, blower, and Bulltear serpentine brackets/pulleys for it already. Heads and fuel injection is next. Still need to find an engine builder that's good with AMC's and not crazy expensive.
73 AMX Javelin PC
jcisworthy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2017 at 6:50pm
Iron, Edelbrock or Indy heads will all work well for you. 

There was an old article where a mild 401 boosted made over 700hp using hardly touched iron heads and something like 14 lbs boost. 
Specializing in dyno services, engine building, and cylinder head porting

rbjracing.com
Phone Number 518-915-3203
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2017 at 6:53pm
I can get 195-200 range out of a 1.625 valve but it takes a bit of grinding to do it. Maybe I do not understand the shape as well as others which is entirely possible. 

rbjracing.com
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2017 at 6:31am
jcisworthy, the difference in flow between Edelbrock advertised and what you get could just be the difference in the flow benches used, though I'm sure Edelbrock will advertise the best numbers they can find (the ones they flowed could be cleaned up some...)

About the sealing area...  IMHO you may as well port out at least part of that lower area. The gasket is still going to seal on the smaller area, what you leave above the gasket won't help. Unless of course you're thinking about the possibility of going back to a stock manifold at some point. Then the extra sealing area might come in handy. You might want to compare a stock manifold gasket to the header gasket.

If you've already considered this (and there's a good chance you have!) I apologize for pointing out the obvious...
Frank Swygert
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcisworthy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2017 at 9:03am
If anything, I think it will help leaving the floor taller. 

The air will flow into the header without restriction and the lip should help in exhaust pulses from returning. 

I am up to 187 CFM with a pipe and have the short turn to work so that should easily go past the 190 advertised. 

Flow benches can be off but 25 CFM would indicate some short tum work at least before they posted their numbers. 

rbjracing.com
DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2017 at 9:21am
When it comes to street and mild racing, Edelbrock is a better choice for weight reduction and higher flow with less work. It's essentially the bolt-on option but it's restricted to the fat bore engines only. The Indy heads are for hard race. Production value is good and those tall chambers are exciting but I have issue with the large valves and the amount of material to seal them.

I fear no man. But those heads. They scare me. O_o
1971 Javelin SST
American 304 2v | FMX | AM20-3.31

1983 American Limited
Jeep 4(.7)L S-MPFI | 1982 NWC T-5M (4.03/.76) | Dana30IFS/35-2.72
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2017 at 9:24am
Originally posted by kingsX kingsX wrote:

There's an AMC racer guy that lives near me that recommended the Indy's.

What are you planning for boost pressure, head gaskets and sealing? Perhaps he recommended Indy SRs because the casting allows them to be machined for extra head bolts, and can be ordered already machined, plus the larger exhaust port vs. Edelbrock may better suit a blower application? ... Just be aware that Indy is a small manufacturer with sometimes questionable quality, so check everything!
shootist View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2017 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by jcisworthy jcisworthy wrote:

There was an old article where a mild 401 boosted made over 700hp using hardly touched iron heads and something like 14 lbs boost. 

That article you are referencing was from Hot Rod. It is the build which I based mine off of. I went with Eddy heads, roller cam and just a tad more compression so I am gessing I would be making at least as much in the HP/TQ numbers but suspect it is likely a little more. I was inspired by the article you might say. Smile
kingsX View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingsX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2017 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by shootist shootist wrote:

Originally posted by jcisworthy jcisworthy wrote:

That article you are referencing was from Hot Rod. It is the build which I based mine off of. I went with Eddy heads, roller cam and just a tad more compression so I am gessing I would be making at least as much in the HP/TQ numbers but suspect it is likely a little more. I was inspired by the article you might say. Smile

I was also inspired by the article and your build of course. That and I have a few guys at work running super chargers on their chevelles and mustangs with great success. I got my vortec V3 from one for them that upgraded to a kenne bell. I like it cause it works with my bulltear serpentine system. I know the Procharger pushes more air but I already had the serpentine and got the V3 for a steal.
73 AMX Javelin PC
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic