TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Edelbrock Air-Gap PCV Baffle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Edelbrock Air-Gap PCV Baffle
    Posted: Jan/01/2014 at 9:00am
Back in 2001 I had my 401 dyno'd. They told me they had to pull the PCV line off because it was pulling oil in the intake. I'd like to improve this.

Thinking of spot welding a flat plate the same size as the existing one about 1/2" below the existing louvers to prevent splashing oil from being pulled through.

Has anyone out there made an improvement to this baffle?

-Steve-
73hornut View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73hornut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2014 at 9:36am
I wonder if it might have more to do with it's proximity to the drainback from the head?
71 Javelin
74 Gremlin
79 Spirit AMX
Rogue Valley Rumblers
Like Us on FB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1602825606650796
amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2014 at 10:15am
Interesting that I havce not had the same issue with oil consumption on the Airgap intake.  Did you use the individual intake gaskets or the valley pan gasket?
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development
whizkidder View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whizkidder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2014 at 11:59am
Steve, I always fill the cavity above the plate with a fiber (white scrubbing pad) material.    This is similar to the stainless steel "steel wool" that is often used in aftermarket PCV oil catch cans.
Ron Frost
marne1ancient @ gmail.com
910 nine two two 0563

"There is no limit to what a man can do, so long as he does not care a straw who gets credit for it. Charles Montague
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2014 at 12:56pm
I had the stock "Cookie Pan" intake gasket on it. It was cut out in the center to clear the valley oiling line.

-Steve-

Airdrie AMX View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airdrie AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2014 at 4:17pm
The 401 in my Javelin does the same thing, Airgap with the OEM valley pan... it's fine tooling around but drive it hard up to 6500 prm and it smokes, my buddies javelin is just the same. I thought of pluging the manifold and running the pcv in the valve cover.

Ivan
72 amx javelin 401 4spd
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2014 at 12:14pm
I made a louvered baffle from 14Ga. like this. Used it with the Edelbrock baffle sandwiched between. IIRC, drilled and tapped the intake for screws and used Loctite. Also used the steel valley pan gasket.

On the inside of the baffle, bent a "tongue" so that oil mist collects and can run down rather than being sucked up into PCV - like in the stock baffle.

Hope this helps, RD.

Edited by Red Devil - Apr/08/2014 at 4:37pm
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2014 at 5:52pm
I'd been thinking about the stock baffle also RD. Nicely illustrated!

-Steve-

Holeshot View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holeshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2014 at 12:42am
Who needs a PCV valve? If your car is pulling oil at high revs, you're likely about to fill the pan with pieces of pistons. Detonation starts about as soon as the smoke starts, or is it the other way around.Why not run extractors to the headers? If you're running 6500, you may gain a few HP with a belt driven vacuum pump. It would be nice to have manual steering to save that HP as well. Both of my AMXs have the quick ratio manual box, not that big of deal except if trying to park in a tight hole with a tight posi....mmm...mmm.mmm....seriously, a spool & huge skins make for bigger biceps or tendonitis, but we gettin old & the prized cars come out rarely. The new Hemi Challenger with the pistol grip butter box shifts almost too ez, not used to that. But the Tremec is a toploading shifter & I never liked that type & they do break. The 6060 is rated for 700 ft/lbs, fine, but the synchros are what go bad, supposedly.And Dodge is R&R-ing plenty of 6 speeds to molly grease the splines REAL good. Don't neglect that, it makes for notchy shifts as the disk binds on the input. Uh oh...this is where the cursor disappears & I can't see my typing on this *&%#@ Android..The PCV is a smog device and a vacuum leak. Let the pan pressure get sucked out of each valve cover & out the exhaust. I haven't seen any PSI  figures for pan extractors but I know the faster cars are running vac pumps & picking up 40-80 HP when using gapless rings & winding 8k
|'69 AMX BBO 390 9.88 qtr. | '71 AMX 401 w/Richmond 5-spd | 2012 Hemi Challenger R/T 6-spd w/Sidewinders | Michigan 49120|
Holeshot View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holeshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2014 at 1:01am
BTW: All the new Hemis are sucking oil thru the PCV system. People are making gobs of money selling catch tanks to go in the PCV line. I put a large air compressor water trap in the line, tossed the sealed filler cap & put  K&N style filler cap on. Probably still not enough outflow at 6500, but I bought a pair of used aluminum valve covers to replace the plastic ones. Would love to grind off the coil mounting bosses, ad two breathers to each maybe, polish like chrome, & hide the coils under the intake, like the Indy "ModMan" intake. You guys do know Indy makes a ModMan for AMC, you can get a single 4bbl. top, 2x4 top, 3x2 top, or blower top...for AMC....They have a timing cover with a dry sump capable pump. Expensive. But dry sump is worth a lot not just b/c of the oil not draining on te crank, but it oulls way more vacuum than the vac pumps. That's probably more into the80 HP range, more or less. I have a couple REAL Indy dry sump pans that were either used in development or in the 500. Was gonna sell & stick with my swinging p/u pans, but who knows, I may come across another one of thosecIndy covers with the Petersen pump. Well, my cursor & text has vanished, I m flyin blind again....
|'69 AMX BBO 390 9.88 qtr. | '71 AMX 401 w/Richmond 5-spd | 2012 Hemi Challenger R/T 6-spd w/Sidewinders | Michigan 49120|
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic