TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - E-brake components better to replace or refurbish
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

E-brake components better to replace or refurbish

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: E-brake components better to replace or refurbish
    Posted: Sep/04/2015 at 6:04pm
Just wondering,  if I should keep or dump original E-brake components and replace with reproduced?
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
MD Racer View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MD Racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/04/2015 at 7:48pm
I replaced all of mine, along with the axels. I had Moser make a new pair for the car. I'm not restoring this car back to stock.

1971 Javelin
1971 Javelin SST
1971 Javelin AMX
maximus7001 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maximus7001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2015 at 4:57am
Originally posted by MD Racer MD Racer wrote:

I replaced all of mine, along with the axels. I had Moser make a new pair for the car.

How much did that cost?
1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2001 Daewoo Nubira SX (Winnipeg only model)

1997 Honda Accord EX (Canadian Model)

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2015 at 11:14am
MD,  thanks!  I thought the only available option was APD. As for fit and all was not sure if keeping the original and reconditioning if possible would be best.  But custom made by a reputable company, seems like a good backup plan if I should ruin my cables trying to get them into shape. 
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2015 at 12:06pm
Purchasing replacements and expecting them to fit OEM only works if they are available. Refurbishing OEM is only an option if they are worthwhile refurbishing.
Rust certainly is a consideration. Availability may be a problem if the components are unique to one of the less collectable models.
So far after some 35 years of being in the hobby I have been able to refurbish existing components and can not comment on what is or is not available.
This is one of the questions that as time passes is going to be more and more difficult to answer as the options become limited depending on what you need.
But the fact simply remains, more and more bits and pieces get worn out and passed by as parts disappear and brake parts are one thing that is disappearing fast now.

70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2015 at 1:46pm
I replaced all the parking brake cables on my 68 with APD's. Fit was perfect. For some unknown reason the coils around the cables were broken in a ka-jillion places.  Poor metallurgy? Dry climate, no snow, local AMX, one-owner car.
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/05/2015 at 7:04pm
Ah,  well I looked over my main cable,  no issues externally.  Good spring,  and some rust on the mounting tabs.  Overall just a bit caked with dirt and does not look as old as it should be.  Coming from South IL and had the rear end rebuilt in the early 90s because of twin grip slippage, maybe the cable was replaced at one time.  The only questionable issue is the sliding action is stuck.  I have a feeling the wire inside the cable is corroded.  Out side of that I would have just cleaned it up and not have bothered replacing. 
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2015 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

Just wondering,  if I should keep or dump original E-brake components and replace with reproduced?

you didn't specify until near the end if you were talking brake cables or brake components.....
If other than cables - 
I cleaned and replated all of the plated parts, 
If talking cables - 
I replaced the cables with new although I saved the originals - and if they are not FRAYED inside, which can happen if the cable strands rust enough to break inside the housing, I'll use some tricks and chemicals that remove the rust and leaves a phosphate coating to protect the steel, or use electrolysis on them. 

Back in the 70s I had disassembled and repaired them, when I worked at the hardware store and we did all sorts of tricks with cables.

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2015 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

you didn't specify until near the end if you were talking brake cables or brake components.....
If other than cables - 
I cleaned and replated all of the plated parts, 
If talking cables - 
I replaced the cables with new although I saved the originals - and if they are not FRAYED inside, which can happen if the cable strands rust enough to break inside the housing, I'll use some tricks and chemicals that remove the rust and leaves a phosphate coating to protect the steel, or use electrolysis on them. 

Back in the 70s I had disassembled and repaired them, when I worked at the hardware store and we did all sorts of tricks with cables.

Well, I did say components, as for letting the cat out of the bag late, well it was just one of the items in the e-brake system I recently looked at, but a few had realized cables without much direction.

At times I may be too vague and generalize too much, mainly I dont have my thoughts set so I am not expecting one particular answer. you should know me by now, if I open up the gates so to speak, there probably be multiple topics and ideas going on.

Thank for your input... as I never thought about doing ro much with reconditioning, just seeing what options and what are the drawbacks if any.

71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
MD Racer View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MD Racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2015 at 12:57am
I bought replacement cables from APD. The originals were rusted and would not work. The APD cables are plastic covered vs. metal on the stock ones. All the brake shoe hardware was bought from my local NAPA Auto parts store.
1971 Javelin
1971 Javelin SST
1971 Javelin AMX
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic