TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

eastwood hot stapler

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iapexl8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: eastwood hot stapler
    Posted: Feb/01/2014 at 9:37am
I have been looking at this hot stapler for some plastic repairs that have been on the list.
this rebel dash  was in two seperate pieces when I started. it is fairly easy to use the hardest part is holding the peice your working on together tight , its is easier with help.

pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2014 at 9:54am
Been using one for a while now and it works great. The only problem I ran across is that once in a while the button in the handle sticks and you can get yourself a nice little burn. Even used it to make some new seat back hooks for a seat shell back. Still hang in there.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
iapexl8r View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iapexl8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2014 at 10:48am
wow is that metal?
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2014 at 11:29am
The new "hook" was made from a piece of high density plastic. It is textured so it looks different then the shell back plastic. I use a heat gun to form the ends then used the hot stapler with the "corner" staples to attach it to the shell back. I made three such repairs and they have all held up for a couple of years now,.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2014 at 9:13am
Sorry to upset you're post, but I'm confused why a hot stapler is needed. I used Plastex to repair the dash overlay on the WhiteJav. I've used Plastex to repair other ABS plastic parts commonly found on AMC cars. Damaged, cracked, pieces missing, whatever,  grille repair is easy with Plastex. The stapler must be installed where it cannot be seen. Plastex can restore the part to as new condition and makes a stronger repair than the parent plastic.
I do not work for Plastex, I've just used the product and was very happy and felt very lucky to have stumbled upon it.

Armand
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
just rambling by View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote just rambling by Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2014 at 12:30am
hi is that plastex usable to repair motorcycle ferrings I believe it is abs but not ninja 1000r, thanks 
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2014 at 10:55am
Watch the video.
TexasJavelin View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexasJavelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2014 at 8:55am
This is exactly what I have used
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2014 at 5:05pm
Couldn't you use both? Apply the Plastex to the joint, apply some force to keep the joint closed and then apply the staples? I'm thinking that while staples do melt the plastic some, it's primarily a mechanical bond, whereas the Plastex will"fuse" the plastic chemically. The Plastex may also fill in the crack so that it can be lightly sanded and primed/painted. I would think it would make a great repair.

Anyway, I have one of these Eastwood hot staplers and I have yet to use it, but I plan to do so on both my dash and the driver's side plastic piece that runs under the 1/4 window. I may buy some Plastex and try it out.
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2014 at 10:43am
sweatlock wrote

Couldn't you use both? Apply the Plastex to the joint, apply some force to keep the joint closed and then apply the staples? I'm thinking that while staples do melt the plastic some, it's primarily a mechanical bond, whereas the Plastex will"fuse" the plastic chemically. The Plastex may also fill in the crack so that it can be lightly sanded and primed/painted. I would think it would make a great repair.

Anyway, I have one of these Eastwood hot staplers and I have yet to use it, but I plan to do so on both my dash and the driver's side plastic piece that runs under the 1/4 window. I may buy some Plastex and try it out.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah I don't know why you couldn't use both, however joint movement after applying Plastex will weaken the joint. Plastex is a "solvent" weld style of repair. Melting the staple into the joint is only a local repair and dosen't completely encompass the entire damage, Plastex does. I can see where the hot stapler has it places, so if you try both in combination, let us know if they actually enhanced each other or just made it more difficult.

Armand
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic