TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

early American -- engine thrust bushing!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2018 at 10:25am
Nick, the top of the line cars got the AL engine, optional in others. The mid line might have got the AL engine too, base model got iron. When an AL engine failed it was most often replaced with an iron model. Your most likely was AL at first since it has the rod. I didn't think the iron block had the bosses for the rod, I wonder if the rod mount has been modified?
Frank Swygert
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2018 at 11:22am
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

Like these:and

wow, those are great! wish i had known about them earlier -- but next time. i can never find anything on Speedway! thanks for those. i'll look more closely.
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

nickleone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2018 at 8:17pm
nick
401 71 Gremlin pro rally car sold
390 V8 SX/4 pro rally car sold
1962 Classic SW T5 4 wheel disc brakes
nickleone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2018 at 8:23pm
Photo Above is IRON BLOCK thrust rod mount.
Nick 
nick
401 71 Gremlin pro rally car sold
390 V8 SX/4 pro rally car sold
1962 Classic SW T5 4 wheel disc brakes
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2018 at 11:03pm
Interesting. I didn't look at the TSMs close enough!! In 60 and 61 thrust rods were used with the AL block with all transmissions and with the iron block only with auto trans due to the increased inertia of the engine/trans assembly due to the weight of the auto trans. In 62 it appears that the thrust rod was used with all transmissions. No thrust rod prior to 1960 as far as I can determine. For 63-66 there are two thrust arms on the trans crossmember. So I was mistaken about the thrust rod only with the AL engine. Sorry about that, it's in the text but not illustrated, not on the first page with the other mounts anyway, so at first cursory glance it's only prominent in the AL engine section. My bad!!
Frank Swygert
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2018 at 1:41am
frank don't feel too bad about this -- i saw nothing in the 1963 factory parts catalog drawings, but i may pore through the pages for "thrust" again. i did look once.

it might have to do with fleet issues arising over time and maybe greater highway speeds.

as you point out, and i wrote about long ago, the 63 classics (at least) had them between the rear x-member and the side sills, hiding where no one ever looks.

torque tube drive always has a thrust issue. rear axle push/braking goes through the tube, to the chassis. leaf spring cars it goes through the leaf front eye.

the little car needs them for a different reason -- those isolators suck. it's a 1000 lb mass sitting on four little pads, drive fast over a hump that mass is tossed up and down and tears at the rubber.

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2018 at 1:43am
Originally posted by nickleone nickleone wrote:

[/QUOTE]

thats an interesting part, never saw one before!

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2018 at 8:40am
I've only had the factory mounts in 61-63 Americans break a couple times. One when I was hit in the rear the front mounts broke, but they were original and around 20 years old (1961 American, 1979 or 80). Engine jumped up and cut underside of radiator tank. Luckily no real damage in the back, just a good "tap" in the back. The other time was when I pulled an engine from underneath and forgot there was a tab bolted to the front cover to hold the mount in the slotted front lip... oops!! I replaced the mounts on the one I drove for 14 years when I rebuilt the engine in the early 90s. Don't know for sure if they had been replaced before I got it (1984) or not. I seem to recall the right front being partially separated, but not sure now.

I just checked my 56-59 TSMs (supplements for 57 and 59). No mention of a thrust rod, but they don't mention engine mounting at all. Thrust rod and engine mounts first appear in 1960, and then clearly states only for auto trans for 60-61, all for 62. So I can't state categorically that the 56-59 models don't use a thrust rod with the auto trans, but I don't believe so. Looks like something the engineers added in 60-61, then decided it was a good thing for all the torque tube cars -- probably due to dealer complaints/reports about the 56-59 cars without them. Warranties were only one year (or less) back then, so probably not warranty issues, but could have been...
Frank Swygert
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2018 at 8:42am
As you noted, you don't need one on the American. No pushing on the trans. Your "spider" mounts to the body, not engine, so still no undue stress on the engine mounts. A torque strap might be a good safety precaution though. 
Frank Swygert
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2018 at 11:16pm
another factor is the very poor quality of today's aftermarket parts. i've pulled out 30+ year old parts that didn't look as bad as the cushions i installed 5 or 6 years ago now.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic