TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

early American -- engine thrust bushing!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2018 at 11:12am
[QUOTE=pacerman]The left front corner of the engine block should have the day/date engine build code stamped in (just below the head)./QUOTE]

i'd forgotten that, once again. i forgot also that i'd gone through this before (! how many times?! aargh memory):

* my "65 motor" is 70C211, or 195.6 OHV, 11 february 1965. a late motor indeed. block casting 3176050, 65 OHV.

* my "63" motor, the serial number area was ground off and a small tag riveted in place by the commercial rebuilder, in the long ago past: http://195.6ohv.com/BLOCK/images/IMG_0027.jpg. i saved the tag, can't find it right now, but it said "POWERPAK" and some digits that were not AMC. block casting 3166465, 63..64 OHV.

* my "58" motor, same deal; ground off, but no tag. block casting 3160133, not in the RWB book.

if it's no bother, i'd be curious to know when the block provision for thrust was introduced; it's no practical use i suppose but good for visually identifying motors since it's easily visible. but i guess so is the timed oil thing.

Edited by tomj - Jul/24/2018 at 11:29am
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2018 at 11:25am
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

The "Engine Day Build Code" started in the 1960 model year. It actually started at the engine plant in 1959, I believe (but can't confirm) in January 1959. Most changes at the engine plant were calendar and not model year, with some exceptions.

of course when i came to my senses (after joe's post) i consulted the RED WHITE BLUE book for my sole numbered block!

Quote those bosses are actually the engine mount bosses for 63-64 Classics, not just the thrust rod bosses. For 61-62 models they may be just for the thrust rod though. The thrust rod was only used on 61 and 62 aluminum sixes, not used on iron block cars.

of course -- the bracket shown in my first post won't bolt to an iron block, the pump is between the studs. so it could be just coincidence that it appears similar, for a completely different function (iron  63..64 motor mount vs aluminum thrust, etc).

having owned and wrenched both chassis, it sure looks like AMC gave more engineering attention to the 10/80 series than the pre-64 01 series. the latter was a full stop dead end. the "new" 01 chassis ended up lasting through 1988 almost uninterrupted, and there's a lot of 10 series "DNA" in the 70-up 01 chassis.

in my opinion, the thrust stuff was done in the flagship chassis because that was the car that AMC banked on, from 62 through late 60's. for smoothness and reliability. the torque tube cars have rear wheel/axle push and braking force absorbed by the engine and transmission. not so on leaf-spring cars; the front eyes get that force. 

a "fleet" of a couple hundred thousand cars, 100 or 1000 of them with motor-mount related troubles or noise brought back to the dealership would hurt them in a way us hardcore fans having to replace motor mounts a couple years early wouldn't even notice.

cuz we know they were cheapskates and unlikely they did this for no reason.

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/25/2018 at 6:56am
The thrust rod might have been for a better ride, but again, it was only used on the aluminum engine models, not the iron block models. The AL engine is over 100 pounds lighter, IIRC (but not as much as 200# lighter), as I do recall reading that one advantage was the car steered a lot easier with manual steering, so one could save some money by not ordering power steering in many cases. Could be that they were concerned the reduction in mass would affect the motor mounts/ride due to the push and pull of the torque tube? As good a theory as any I suppose! The torque arms of the 63-66 were there due to the rubber mounts on the trans crossmember, along with the torque tube.

The 70s 10/80 is practically the same unit body as the 63-66. It was widened and lengthened, and a few other changes over the years, but the floor structure is nearly identical. You can put a 67+ rear suspension in a 63-66. You just need to weld in brackets for the upper crossmember and lower control arms (pretty easy!), and shorten the bracket by around and inch on each end so it will fit between the sills ("frame" rails). I measured everything before I put the Jag IRS in mine and had it all figured out. Axle would still be a couple inches wider, but deep offset wheels would solve the issue. Easy to get even steel deep wheels now, in 16-17". 14-15" (if you wanted to keep stock hubcaps for a stock look) would be hard though. Might just be 3/4" shorter on each end... you'd have to measure!

The 64 American is actually a shortened/narrowed 63 Classic body, so naturally a lot of the big car design is reflected in the American/Hornet/et al small cars.

Frank Swygert
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2018 at 4:15pm
i started looking into thrust issues because my motor mount have been looking unhappy this year, and after return from the power tour, they were clearly failed. i pulled them out today. they're crappy Anchor 2150's, about all that seems available. in the rear (manual trans) those arent' available at all, so i'd made a steel adapter to accept 2150's on the rear crossmember.

the engine and trans had shifted 5/8" rearward. this was visible from above, hence my interest in thrust solutions.

the tops tore out of the mounts. the OEM rear ones might have been better at thrust-as-shear but that's immaterial since they're unavailable. i bet there were factory fleet issues with engines shifting around; noises, or whatever.

no matter, these are all i have, my proposed urethane solution is a PITA so i'm putting crap anchors back in, but i made a thrust system, and i think i have to tie the engine down, engine-torque-wise. not that it makes enough to worry about, just htat these motor mounts are terrible. i'll make some nylon tiedown or something. in the mean time fore/aft thrust will be dealt with.

lower left corner is drivers side front, right rear is passenger side rear.

PS: the reason you can still buy these Anchor 2150 isolators is that they are some generic equipment vibration mount. i found them otherwise some time ago. i dont' think they are meant for any side thrust at all, just weight straight down.

Edited by tomj - Aug/02/2018 at 6:03pm

nickleone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2018 at 5:33pm
My 62 Classic SW has a thrust rod, on carb side, bottom of the block that attaches to the front motor mount cross member.
Rubber bushings on both ends about 1/2 inch dia.

Nick
nick
401 71 Gremlin pro rally car sold
390 V8 SX/4 pro rally car sold
1962 Classic SW T5 4 wheel disc brakes
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2018 at 6:52am
Only the aluminum engine cars got the thrust rod. Don't know why.

Tom, the auto trans cars used the same mounts on all four corners, so the theory that the manual trans rear mounts handle thrust better is out the door. I'm with you -- those vibration mounts look similar to the originals but are obviously not made for side loads. I'd consider a bolt straight through a rubber mount, with rubber on the back side also. That would solve the problem! Like these:

Speedway also has these, but they may be too tall. Don't know how they would take the thrust load, but they were designed as engine mounts.
Frank Swygert
nickleone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2018 at 11:08am
Frank said "Only the aluminum engine cars got the thrust rod"
My engine is IRON.  It has a thrust rod.
Might it have had an aluminum engine?

Nick

nick
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2018 at 10:36pm
Nick, i was gonna ask about that... that's interesting.  does your setup match the one from the photo in the first post here?

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2018 at 10:51pm
ha! the joke's on me. thrust issues aside, in my case my damage was partly caused/made worse by the mount adapter i made. i didn't reinforce it enough, it twisted under load, and tore the tops off the rear ones. worse, i made it non-removable. (it's bolted on; but to get it out i have to remove the bellhousing.  NOT SMART.) i cobbled up some unattractive struts to "fix up" the bad mount system until the next time (hopefully far, far away) the trans comes out.

this is the mount. it's obvious now, in hindsight. that open "V" should have been closed.

anyway mounts replaced, plus i made a thrust rod, a bracket on the two studs beside the oil pump to a welded on bracket to the rear crossmember. 3/4" tube and heims. yes, noisy, but in this car, it won't be noticed. also i don't care. pics later.

nickleone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/04/2018 at 12:14am
Tom,
The thrust rod is very similar.
Nick
nick
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic