TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Early 71 360

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Early 71 360
    Posted: May/02/2019 at 11:22pm
i recently purchased a 71’ javelin Amx with a build date of 01/71, and the engine is painted red with no displacement casting in the block. Is this a over the counter replacement engine, or an International engine?
Red means run son, numbers add up to nothin'!
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2019 at 11:37pm
Weren’t the California smog engines painted red?
I've finally given up drinking for good...........now I only drink for evil.
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2019 at 1:23am
Western, I think you are right on the red California engines, though I thought it was 73 or something? I would have to do far more digging than I am willing to at this hour, so I could be wrong on the year. I believe that some of the warranty blocks were cast in a Universal bore and left to the customer to bore to suit desired replacement. Those did not have displacements cast in. Perhaps it was a warranty replacement and the customer just asked to paint it red? Unless you have some sort of color match for the red to an AMC California engine, it probably is just how it was painted during who knows what rebuild. Mine was black when I got it.

BTW, nice car! My first AMC was a 71 and I still miss it! Finest of the Humpsters, in my opinion.

Chris 
amx73 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2019 at 7:46am
From what I’ve gathered it’s a service replacement block. I have the original dealer info from when it was sold new, not in California. I heard that same scenario with service blocks that they didn’t have the the displacement casting the block.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2019 at 8:14am
Originally posted by amx73 amx73 wrote:

From what I’ve gathered it’s a service replacement block. I have the original dealer info from when it was sold new, not in California. I heard that same scenario with service blocks that they didn’t have the the displacement casting the block.

Just a side note... I skipped this thread thinking, with assumption, you had an early 71 build date Javelin. True it is an early 71, but it can get you into trouble with details. I even get into trouble at times, with early, late, or stating all inclusive when making broad statements.

You are not incorrect with any parts of your statement, just pointing out if you should state the term, "build date" then you could allow for unexpected cross information to confuse you.

Now as for facts... if your car was in a western state close to California, and needed a replacement engine, it is possible that being a late build date 71 AMC, that a dealer could have been shipped an engine from the nearest dealer that had one available.

Or a mis-labeled crate engine was shipped by mistake to a state other than California.

By August 71 replacement blocks destin to California or to IH were painted red.

Without a service record as to when and where the service was performed, its only guess work.

As a side note, my 73 was purchased in Michigan in spring of 73 and then moved to California by summer time. The owner had the dealer install California smog controls. Everything was period correct and looked as if it came off the line that way, when i obtained it.

Assuming the closeness of repair work and being a late build, the engine is period correct, coming from a dealer replacement, just the paperwork would be proof in keeping the engine color if wanting to do so.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2019 at 9:12am
IH didn't use the AMC 360.
California engines were painted red. Is there a emissions sticker on the firewall?
nda racer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nda racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2019 at 9:38am
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2019 at 11:27am
Originally posted by SC397 SC397 wrote:

IH didn't use the AMC 360.
California engines were painted red. Is there a emissions sticker on the firewall?

Correct, but wouldnt they need to rebore the block, since amc made service blocks small bore to begin with.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Burnished Brown View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Burnished Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2019 at 6:14pm

1971 Javelin/AMX 360 N Code 2 BBL with no CID markings on the block.  Block Code 3198951.  Engine Tag January 10th 1971.  Car delivered last week of January 1971.  High Compression Heads 3196291.  Painted IH Red from factory.  Ordered the car from the dealer.  Original owner 48 years now.  

How do these specs compare to yours?
Terry

1971 Burnished Brown Javelin/AMX
1971 Mustard Yellow Javelin/AMX
1970 Bayshore Blue AMX
1970 Bittersweet Orange Rebel Machine
1969 Beale Street Blue Javelin SST

amx73 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2019 at 7:20pm
lol, I just watched the YouTube thing on your car! Kind of what got me thinking. Door tag says January, 1971. Dealer book shows delivery in February and it was sold in Massachusetts. I haven’t decoded the engine tag or looked at the casting numbers.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic