TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

early 232 head vs. 4.0L H.O.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RamblinMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: early 232 head vs. 4.0L H.O.
    Posted: Sep/26/2007 at 7:40am
I have read in a couple of places that the early 64-67 or so  232 heads flow very well compared to the later 232-258 heads. Supposedly, the chambers are smaller too. I recently pulled one of these heads and found that the intake ports are huge. Some have even suggested that the early 232 head will provide comparable performance to the 4.0 head in a swap situation.
I recognize that there is the shaft rocker situation. But has anyone seen, heard, or experienced any truth to this?
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/27/2007 at 1:25pm
From what I know of this the head looks good, but was designed in the day of bigger is better. It has large ports but the newer heads have better flow do to increased understanding of what is needed to do this.
  The early head has large ports, small valves, 1.5 shaft rockers.
Late head has larger valves smaller ports, but with better flow design and 1.6 ratio paired moutn rockers.
   You may well be able to get good flow out of the early head. You will need to enlarge the valves and do some port work to clean up the casting. You will still have 1.5 ratio rockers.
    Lastly, if it is a street car or Jeep where you want torque and low rpm grunt the 4.0L head will win in that dept.
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2007 at 12:01am
The early shaft rocker engines had a cam with more lift and duration than the late pedestal rocker engines. .254 verses .248, duration in. 259, ex.289, verses 256 en. and ex.  I put the stock cam from a early shaft rocker engine in a 74 232 and woke it up somewhat, but I could never get it to produce the power of my 69 232, offy,390 Holley, header engine. Even with the same external changes. 
 I think for street use the 4.0 head would probably be the better combination, and my next car will have it. But for higher rpm use I bet a early shaft rocker head with large valves and some port work would make better power, but it wouldn't be cheap.

Edited by tyrodtom - Sep/28/2007 at 12:07am
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/28/2007 at 2:53am

Comparing the early big port head to the later 70's-80's small port head is no contest. The big port head wins hands down. Especially when equipped with large valves and reworked.

The 4.0L head excells in providing a clean powerband through out the designed power band up to 5200 rpm. Drag racers, have achieved realy excellent results with the 4.0L heads by enlarging valves and with port work.

I would work with the 4.0L head simply because in street use it needs next to nothing done, bowl cleanup, mild polish, valve sizes are fine.

If you want more you can add larger valves, same as the early head.

I also would not condemn anyone from using a large port head as, to each his own...

For a direct bolt on swap head, my choice is 4.0L.
I have a 69 big port head if anyone wants one. Not closed chamber though. stock 75K on it.
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/30/2007 at 7:13am
Chris Morrison in/around Kansas City used to run a highly modified early big port head on his drag Javelin. I told him the 4.0L head would be better, and he finally changed a couple years ago! I don't recall what kind of increase in performance he got, but he definitely liked it. He was reluctant to change at first (I told him about this... well, MANY years ago) because of all the work he had in the shaft rocker head. See http://members.tripod.com/~Mojo_Page/Rokr1.htm to see what I mean! He hasn't updated the pages in several years, but still lots of good info on there. On the head casting # page he mentions that the 4.0L head has better flow potential even though the exhaust ports are very small compared to the early head. 
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic