TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Eagle wheels.............

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2019 at 4:06pm
Put all the wheels back on, got the engine and wiring back together enough for a test drive and took her out on the highway. I ran it hard - well, for an Eagle - maxed out the speedometer and had only minimal driveline "vibration" or rumble - none of the vibrations that shook the dash or made it feel like I was going to have to re-lead the A pillar to roof joints. It was as smooth as it's been for years. I still need to get softer springs put on the front because those new ones I installed a few years back are just too stiff and make the car ride too high in the front end - forcing the front axle joints to run at pretty good angles (not to mention shoving the shock tops outward because of upper control arm angle)
So I am betting that other wheel they found as being off was the other part of my vibration trouble. Replacing the one a while back made things better, them finding another wheel with issues and using one of my spare wheels for the fourth wheel for the car helped so we're finally down to a ride I can live with until I get correct different springs for the front of the car.
Minor pitting in the centers because of the castings used but otherwise, really happy with those center caps, too - they should last just as long as the wheels - no more plastic, 5 screws holding each instead of three and the screws are stainless steel so won't rust. And unlike the factory aluminum covered plastic centers, these match the wheels almost perfectly.

partsguy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote partsguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2019 at 4:45pm
billd those look very nice.Clap
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2019 at 6:44pm
Thanks - I'm pretty happy with them and really glad the centers worked out as well as they did. I have several hours just in the centers myself - getting them ready for the wheel shop.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2019 at 12:30am
those wheels look just great. those SX/4's are remarkable. they're sharp and clean even today. and ROUND, TRUE wheels really bring an old car up to snuff. round wheels are boring, right where you want them to be boring. those won't leak either. it's so great to not have to check the tires/top off just to go on a drive.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2019 at 7:58am
Bill, they did a great job and they look fantastic!! In the overall scheme of things that was not a bad price to get stock looking wheels that you wanted. Aftermarket wheels would have only been a few bucks less and you would not have been satisfied. 

It sure is nice to find a shop that preforms quality work. Seems as if that gets harder to find each day. I saw someone started a thread about that and its true. 

Its amazing about a bent wheel. I had a stock, plain jane wheels on my American. One was slightly bent when I put on the first set of tires. It progressively got worse. Seemed like it was a new car when I put on the new Troq-Thrust wheels. 

Hope to see you in Cordova and St. Louis.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic