TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Eagle Half Shafts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eagle Half Shafts
    Posted: Dec/12/2018 at 12:19am
I have a torn CV joint boot and the other three boots are not far behind. The joints themselves work fine though.

If you could get four boot kits for $86 or two remanufactured axle shafts for $114, which would you choose?

I worry about the quality on remanufactured half shafts.
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2018 at 12:35am
Shafts.

It's such a pain in the arse to change boots on those, plus time to disassemble the suspension, make it easier on yourself for the $40..... er, I guess $80 difference.

I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2018 at 3:21am
Shafts. But if you want to put new boots on, go do it. 
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2018 at 9:56am
I would get the shaft, so to speak. (That was said in a non sexually harassing manner). I have never had a problem with rebuilt shafts.

Edited by 6768rogues - Dec/12/2018 at 6:22pm
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
AMXRWB View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXRWB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2018 at 10:54am
I buy the shaft unit and save my old axle units.
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2018 at 1:31am
Originally posted by AMXRWB AMXRWB wrote:

I buy the shaft unit and save my old axle units.
Don't want to do that. The shafts cost $40 each but have a core charge of $70 each.

I ordered new shafts today.

1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
AMXRWB View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXRWB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2018 at 9:00am
I had no idea the core charge was that high.Years ago no core charge on the axles.Today I get the items at the large swaps.If I buy that local the sales tax is ten percent on the items and they also tax the cores.You get the tax back when you return the cores.If I order online from out of state I run the risk of a random use tax in the mail from my state.I just had them send me a use tax four years after a purchase with late fees and a fine.Then they gave me a court date for my $53.
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2018 at 12:30am
I've been a sales associate at a privately owned auto parts store for most of my working life. Core charge is for rebuilt or remanufactured parts and exist as an incentive to encourage people to return their original part for rebuilding or remanufacturing. Otherwise, no old parts would be returned for remanufacturing and the supply of these parts would dry up. The more rare the part, the higher the core charge as an incentive.

CV shafts for a Chevrolet Silverado have a low core charge because they are common, so the remanufacturing companies are not desperate to receive cores that they can rebuild and resell.

CV shafts for an Eagle have a high core charge because they are hard to find, so the remanufacturing companies really want buyers to return their cores to be rebuilt.
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2018 at 9:07am
If your assemblies are good/tight, with relatively low miles, I would replace the boots. You know what you have as opposed to getting a rebuild that was driven two years with torn boots, scored seal surfaces, etc. Yes, it's a messy job to replace the boots, but it's really not that bad.
maynardk View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maynardk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2018 at 10:34am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic