TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

eagle 360 swap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EagleFreek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2011 at 9:27am
http://www.users.nac.net/gr/eagleweb/v8eagle/

Edited by EagleFreek - Feb/10/2011 at 9:31am
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear. SOLD
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon-As Seen On TV Lost in Transmission

rubberducky1774 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rubberducky1774 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/10/2011 at 9:44am
I would like to get a hold of that guy hyper eagle to get his 360brackets but he has responded to me so I need to find someone else that can make them or another way to mount the 360
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2014 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by EagleFreek EagleFreek wrote:

http://www.users.nac.net/gr/eagleweb/v8eagle/

This link is dead now. I used to have the whole writeup on my old computer, but it died.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2014 at 8:58am
I understand wanting to buy brackets if you can to make the swap easy, but if you can't fab brackets you probably need to forget the swap. If you don't have a welder hang the engine in place and fab the brackets from cardboard, sheet metal, or wood. Of course you don't bolt the engine in with those, leave the weight of the engine on your cherry picker or support the engine from underneath. Then you have a pattern to take to a welding shop so they can make them for you.

Check for Jeeps to find an AMC 360. All mid 80s to the last 1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneers had a 360 in them. Since you need a 4x4 trans there is no issue there, get that too. Those are even getting harder to find, I know! Jeep J-20 pickups also had them, J-10 had either a six or 304 from the factory (I don't think the 1/2 ton J-10 had the 360 as an option, at least not in the 80s, only the 3/4 ton J-20).

If you're just looking for more power consider finding a 4.0L Cherokee and using the EFI six. It has a lot more power than the 258 as long as you use the EFI. The 87-95 models are the easiest to swap. Don't use a Grand Cherokee EFI system though. Most of those are "loaded" with extra features, and have security features that are more difficult to wire around. Same with 96+ models, but the more basic Cherokee Classic in the late 90s usually doesn't have all the security features, and what it has can be overcome a lot easier than a Grand Cherokee. The 4.0L EFI has more power than a 304 V-8, just under a stock 1974 360 4V. The 360 can be built up to have a lot more though, whereas the 4.0L is pretty close to the most you're going to get without a lot of money. A better cam will help a bit, and a larger throttle body and slightly bigger injectors (needed to support the cam and bigger throttle body), but that's about it. Easy enough to get another 30-40 hp, but you need some dough to go more. The 74 360/4V put out around 220hp (the 4.0L is rated 190), and power can be increased by 100 hp without too much trouble.
Frank Swygert
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2014 at 11:48pm
https://web.archive.org/web/20080105024022/http://users.nac.net/gr/eagleweb/v8eagle/

I suggest a little donation to these guys for saving this page. PS: The last motor he had in it was a 11:1 401
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2014 at 7:36am
In addition to the 4.0L suggestion, there's a fellow in the 'For Sale' section selling a rip-snorting and totally built 258 I6 for $700, which is a heckuva deal. If you have access to a pickup truck might be time for a road trip.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic