TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Dyno Troubles - bellhousing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KLW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dyno Troubles - bellhousing
    Posted: Sep/24/2014 at 3:51pm
Hi,

I went to the dyno today with my fresh 417 stroker in tow. The first problem we ran into was not having a neutral balanced flywheel. The problem was solved by using a neutral balanced flywheel from a PONTIAC....yes pontiac bolted right on!

The next problem was a show stopper. I need a bellhousing. I was told ahead of time the std V8 bell is too tall so I picked up one for a three speed part # 3212425. That wouldn't work because the center is too small and the tranny bolts are too close together. I was told by the dyno guy that in the past when he had done AMC motors, the owner brought a bellhousing that had a GM tranny pattern on it.
Does such a thing exist? If so, what part number(s) sould I look for?
I am willing to buy, rent,lease borrow,etc one if anyone has one just so I can get this thing dyno'd.

PLEASE, any help here would be appreciated!

Kurt
1981 Spirit
(420 cu in stroker - 570 hp)
1966 Ford Fairlane Convertible
(331 Cu In - 450 HP)
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2014 at 4:18pm
There are scatter shields out there with a chevy bolt pattern. I'm not sure on the depth.

There are 6 1/2" deep AMC Jeep bellhousings, the center hole is about 4 3/4", bolt holes are about 7 1/2" apart. These bells may have a Ford transmission bolt pattern, or a Ford T5 pattern, among others.

Does the dyno operator want a scattershield???
KLW View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KLW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2014 at 5:00pm
Yes, a scatter shield would be fine as long as the depth is OK. Do you have an old one you would like to sell/rent/?

If not. do u have an idea what year/application these Jeep bells would be so I would know what to look for?
Kurt
1981 Spirit
(331 Cu In - 450 HP)
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2014 at 5:01pm
Pontiac flywheel actually fit????
KLW View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KLW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2014 at 5:04pm
YES, we couldn't believe it either. But, a pontiac flywheel from a 455(I beleive) lined up perfectly. We checked it with a dial indicator and it showed .010 out of round but we don't know if that is true (or thereabouts) with a true AMC flywheel.
At any rate, we thought it would be good for dyno testing but not sue about long term use as the starter would need to be shimmed....
1981 Spirit
(331 Cu In - 450 HP)
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2014 at 5:25pm
I would think the dyno operator would want a scatter shield, in case the flywheel came apart for some reason.

The regular AMC Jeep bellhousings were used from the late 70's to the early 80's behind 6 & 8 engines. The key is the 6 1/2" depth.
Judo390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Judo390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2014 at 7:09pm
I have a Lakewood scattershield, old deep style I think, sitting in storage that I would loan you if that helps. Bad news is I am in central Iowa, not sure where in MN you are at.
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2014 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by KLW KLW wrote:

YES, we couldn't believe it either. But, a pontiac flywheel from a 455(I beleive) lined up perfectly. We checked it with a dial indicator and it showed .010 out of round but we don't know if that is true (or thereabouts) with a true AMC flywheel.
At any rate, we thought it would be good for dyno testing but not sue about long term use as the starter would need to be shimmed....

The bolt pattern on the Pontiac is the same but I believe when you bolt up the bell, the gear is going to be too close to the block for the starter to work correctly.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
KLW View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KLW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2014 at 7:44pm
An old, long style won't work. From what it sounds like, the 6 1/2" deep one would be the one I need. Thanks anyway!

As for the Pontiac FW, we did notice the ring gear depth and were prepaed to shim the stater. This would have been a temp fix  just for the dyno session.
1981 Spirit
(331 Cu In - 450 HP)
Photon440 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Photon440 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2014 at 7:06pm
I had a Pontiac 455 HO at one time...the factory red-line was 5200 rpm.  Hope your flywheel is safe after that. :)

Just because it bolts right up doesn't mean the Pontiac and AMC balance will be the same though.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic