TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

DYNO RESULTS EFI/CARB RWHP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 15>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Marano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2015 at 11:38pm
I am curious about what happens at ~4250rpm on the fan comparison trace.
It appears that in a small range it made more power with the fan, I would not expect that.
But I have zero experience with a chassis dyno, and my dyno experience is from the 1970's (ages ago as I have been told).
jtsllc1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtsllc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2015 at 12:53am
We made some changes we felt would benefit the motors efficiency ... 1) based on the motor likes velocity 2) to catch the cows twice at .500 lift from Adkins excellent flowing heads.

We feel the intake made a positive contribution and works hand in hand with the exhaust.

We were surprised of the  immediate lean condition requiring a large increase in jetting....

The motor responded well to 38 deg. timing and the extra fuel.... You could hear and feel the difference...

Now the motor is re base lined to test the Grace / Dugan 1 5/8 to 1 3/4 like Dugan requested previously and now we will see if he is correct in his assumption from his previous testing that the motor will pickup another 10%.... Seems like a tall order .....will it hit 474RWHP?...I remain optimistic that we might be able to with test tuning spacer plates, timing and jetting....I think the power range will increase to 6000 RPM

To answer Kens question we changed the rear end.... we were running an AMC Dana 20 with 3.73 rear gears ... All Roush Racing had available for me at the time was a 3:89 Detroit locker center section out of Elliots NASCAR which still works nice with my 2:95 first gear.....

I think you must keep in mind we are not testing for the Forum we were just sharing results....

If you come up with a build using a 292 Generic Comp Cam with 10.5 to 1 please show your results...

The only motor Build that I see with good torque and good horse power is Worthy's with a custom high lift cam and heavily ported big valve heads... Which by the way I liked the cam so much I bought one for myself to test with the Trapezoid heads.....

Other then Worthy's build I never seen a motor making 500 HP and 500 foot pounds of torque under 5600 RPM on pump gas... 

If you have please post... Especially if you find one running a 292 Comp Cam and 1 5/8 headers through the exhaust.....

I.M.O. the AMC motors like velocity and respond very well..... I know one racer who actually fills his intake port with epoxy and the car runs faster... He is the same guy who did the radius work on the EFI/CARB Intake and said do not increase the runner size or port match it..... Conclusion he was right!!!!

Like I said before Good Luck Guy's...... 

JTSLLC1
jtsllc1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtsllc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2015 at 12:57am
Originally posted by Peter Marano Peter Marano wrote:

I am curious about what happens at ~4250rpm on the fan comparison trace.
It appears that in a small range it made more power with the fan, I would not expect that.
But I have zero experience with a chassis dyno, and my dyno experience is from the 1970's (ages ago as I have been told).

Just like with drag racing you have to do everything exactly the same every time... You are using your foot to accelerate.....

The amount of time the intake cools plays a roll too....

Conclusion with the fan is to put a clutch fan on.....
JTSLLC1
Slate View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2015 at 1:45am
Like I said before, if you have a legitimate question, or, as jim points out, your own test that backs up your position, such as Airdrie's position about how to take Jim seriously, then show your own test data and knowledge about how the intake, heads and exhaust behave when any of them are the choke point. 

I take the results seriously because Jim explained what he did and why when going from the Torker set-up to the EFI intake combination. Lower idle, smaller runners, smaller headers and greater numbers on the dyno. Simple facts. Simple conclusion to make.

He's not selling the Edelbrock intake. If you doubt what he's saying ask Edelbrock. Or Menace. Torker - designed in '73. EFI intake - designed in the last 5 years with 40+ years of  new experience learning about combining efficiency and performance. Hmmmm.

Steve

Edited by Slate - Nov/19/2015 at 1:48am
jtsllc1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtsllc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2015 at 1:51am
Originally posted by Airdrie AMX Airdrie AMX wrote:

How can a fair comparison be made between 2 manifolds when rocker ratio's and carb changes are made? It's posts like this that discredit the OP offerings. How is anyone to to take this seriously?

I think one would agree that a smaller longer runner  with no restrictions or turbulence providing 265 CFM  would produce a huge increase in torque over a larger shorter runner torker with allot of turbulence.

I would also think one would have to make jet changes to acquire a safe air fuel mixture in order not to damage the motor..... If you were to run the Grace Billet and the EFI/Intake with stock jets your motor would be trashed..... running 8 jet sizes lean..Yikes.....So please do not be surprised when we increse the jet sizes when we test the Grace Dugan Headers...we will most likely reach 96 jets square with power valves.

I'am just maximizing the motor so I can test the Grace Dugan Headers. This is why I changed the rockers to 1.7 to maximize Adkins ported heads @.500 lift

I think an open minded person might have realized by now the AMC responds very well to Velocity.....

No large runner intake, big tube header, large valves,  hogged out head or high lift and high RPM cam or roller cam is needed to obtain 500 pony's out of an AMC motor at the crank.....

FYI some are taking this seriously very seriously....... Just like Warren Prout did in NASCAR GT RACING

JTSLLC1
jtsllc1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtsllc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2015 at 3:28am
Originally posted by Boris Badanov Boris Badanov wrote:

That motor obviously does not like the Torker.
Other changes were made as well, that kinds skews the results a bit.

Just like Ed says if I'am not making between 1.21 to 1.29 there is a problem with the combination.... We changed the combo and I think the next change with the exhaust  will bring us right where Ed said we should be....

Just like you state the motor does not like the torker....I.M.O. larger runners no velocity.....Switch to small longer runners and the motor takes off...

It would have been nice to make one change at a time but it was not cost effective. Someone else will have to make a direct test if they would like to... I.M.O. increasing the rocker ratio actually assists in testing the manifolds capabilities...The Manifold did not choke off and as you see the cam fall off the EFI/CARB still remains strong which indicates to me the EFI/CARB is capable of reaching higher RPM's....

The high torque readings and increased jetting tells me the cylinders are packing and the exhaust and intake are working nicely together...Now it is time to make stepped equal length headers and see if we go up one more level...
JTSLLC1
jtsllc1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jtsllc1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2015 at 8:42am
Originally posted by Slate Slate wrote:

Like I said before, if you have a legitimate question, or, as jim points out, your own test that backs up your position, such as Airdrie's position about how to take Jim seriously, then show your own test data and knowledge about how the intake, heads and exhaust behave when any of them are the choke point. 

I take the results seriously because Jim explained what he did and why when going from the Torker set-up to the EFI intake combination. Lower idle, smaller runners, smaller headers and greater numbers on the dyno. Simple facts. Simple conclusion to make.

He's not selling the Edelbrock intake. If you doubt what he's saying ask Edelbrock. Or Menace. Torker - designed in '73. EFI intake - designed in the last 5 years with 40+ years of  new experience learning about combining efficiency and performance. Hmmmm.

Steve

I would just like to add all the flow testing of the EFI/Carb intake and the Torker was also done at Galto Racing...Yep the NASCAR GUY.... He was also right the EFI/ CARB intake would make more power...
Corey (Dyno Guy) gave him a call from the Tilted Kilte to tell him what we were dyno testing that day....

Now it is just a matter of finding the choke point of the EFI/CARB Intake.  I do not think my street motor is going to find the choke point. So we can only hope Bob Steige gets the itch to make one for his car....Then we can see if the intake supports or adds to his  motor combo launching at 6k shifting at 7k running through the lights at 135 MPH... Like Bob says the only accurate dyno he knows of is the race track.....

Some of you might notice a pattern.

1) First we discuss with people who have actually been their and done that.

2) We test everything just to make sure the flow numbers are there so we have a match.

3) We modify and make it become reality.

4) We dyno test...

5) Track test.... Still to come

our results:

1)Intake... Forum says no it will not work.... Whoops it did

2)Oiling... Forum says no....Whoops it did...

3)Carb NASCAR 830 Forum says bad choice.....Whoops it did... and in a big way you can just roll into the throttle....
4)Grace Billet forum saysWacko......Whoops it did

5) M/T Super Scavenger forum says no .... Verdict still out but I think it looks promising.

Like Worthy asked me what is my goal? Answer to build a 500HP motor on pump gas with a Hydraulic low lift cam and we did....Street able and under 5600 RPM

My conclusion do not follow the Forum follow your Gut you might find something new.....and maybe 474HP to your rear wheels...We shall see....
JTSLLC1
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2015 at 9:41am
Originally posted by Slate Slate wrote:

... If you doubt what he's saying ask Edelbrock. Or Menace. Torker - designed in '73. EFI intake - designed in the last 5 years with 40+ years of new experience learning about combining efficiency and performance. Hmmmm.
Steve

Here's Edelbrock's dyno charts from their website comparing AirGap vs. ProFlo. With same cam, headers, heads, the AirGap made a bit more torque and ProFlo made a bit more hp (the chart shows around 440hp, where text only says 395hp ... assume misprint?).

RPM AirGap:

RPM ProFlo:

Link to KenParkman's test of AirGap vs. Torker on a relatively mild combo ... a true A-B test. In this one, AirGap made a bit more torque and Torker a bit more hp. On the street, drove about the same. On the track, a bit quicker with the Torker.
http://amccars.net/cgi/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1282276250;start=all

Link to Car Craft Rambler article where they test Air Gap vs. Torker.
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_0601_amc_360_engine_build/viewall.html

Based on Edelbrock's results, and results posted by others, I expect the ProFlo to have similar characteristics as the AirGap, so yes, a better low-to-mid range torque curve and corresponding increase in power than with a Torker. No surprise.

Problem with jtsllc1 test is we still don't have full disclosure of the combination, test date and test conditions for test A vs. test B ... in spite of repeated requests.   

From his posts I have gleaned the following:

Test A:
- Torker ... don't know if it's out-of-the-box or has some work, spacer, etc.?
- Comp 292 cam
- 1.6 rockers ... don't know if they are stock or rollers or ??
- stock oil pan and internal pickup
- 830 Holley
- heads ... don't know if both had the same Adkin ported heads?
- short block ... don't know if it was the same short block?
- ignition ... 35 degrees total ... don't know what ignition system?
- exhaust ... don't know?
- AMC20 rear axle with 3.73 gears ... don't know what carrier
- don't know what rear brakes
- don't know what transmission, flywheel, clutch or driveshaft
- don't know what rear wheels or tires
- don't know what engine accessories are fitted

Test B:
- ProFlo modified with 4150 spacer, ported and blended
- Comp 292 cam
- 1.7 roller rockers
- Armando road race oil pan with external pickup
- 830 Holley
- heads ... Adkins ported
- short block ... don't know if same?
- ignition ... 38 degrees total ... don't know ignition system?
- exhaust ... Hedman 1 5/8" modified with Jtsllc1 custom port manifolds ... remainder of exhaust, don't know?
- Ford 9" with Nascar 3.89 gears and Detroit locker ... are these REM polished gears, lightened, or ???
- don't know what rear brakes
- don't know what transmission, flywheel, clutch or driveshaft
- don't know what rear wheels or tires
- engine accessories ... fan removed ... what else?

So there are a lot of "don't knows" that leave a bunch of questions.

- how much gain from the rocker change? Klvn8r gained 17.5 hp in his test going from 1.6 to 1.7 with a lower lift cam than the Comp 292
- how much gain from the Armando road race pan ... it has a bolt-in windage tray and scrapers, so should reduce windage and improve power
- how much gain from the exhaust
- how much gain from the intake
- what is the effect of drivetrain changes

... lots of unknowns, so don't know how anyone can make any conclusive claims about any one part. Only thing that can be said is this dyno session produced better results with the new combo than the last dyno session with the old combo.

Reading anything more than that into the test is just speculation.

Thanks,RD.
Edit: fixed links

Edited by Red Devil - Nov/19/2015 at 11:42am
Slate View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2015 at 11:59am
You bring up good points. Nevertheless, and maybe it's because I have the benefit of ignorance on my side, what is an A-B test going to tell you conclusively if the combination of parts aren't optimised? 

Steve
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/19/2015 at 12:23pm
When doing any test, you have a control ... the "A" ... and what you're testing against it ... the "B". If you change more than one variable in a test, how do you know which one affected the result?

It is time consuming and expensive to test each variable to fully optimize a combination because it requires a lot of back-and-forth to optimize each part to the rest of the combo to achieve the best result.

So I respect that jtsllc1 may not have the resources to fully test each change ... just had hoped he would at least disclose when the first test was done and the full details of the car, engine and drivetrain combinations for both tests.

If he could swap the Torker back on and give it a run, it would show better the difference just between intakes on his current combo ... but it's his dime, so his call.

Thanks,RD.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 15>
  Share Topic