TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Dyno daze are here at last

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 43>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2009 at 8:03am
Originally posted by 4015spdJavAMX 4015spdJavAMX wrote:

Purple, haven't you heard of cylinder deactivation??...suppossedly it helps your mileage Big smile

Sort of like Cadillac did a few years back? LOL

Love those pulleys, etc.
Nice.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2009 at 8:09am
Originally posted by greenbottle greenbottle wrote:

Would you elaborate more on your oiling system?

Yeah - hope he hooks up those hoses to the filter or it's gonna get really messy really fast.
Extra capacity pan, remote filter setup, ready to rock n roll.

I've often wondered if it would be worth the $65 to get my car on the chassis dyno.
Not expecting great things, but for that money, you get a baseline, and I think they said "3 passes" simulating a quarter mile run. Could also figure out just HOW too rich the thing is at the same time.

Let us know how this turns out - photos of the actual run or a short clip would be fun.
greenbottle View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenbottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2009 at 8:25am
I was talking about the thick billet peice at the bottom of the pump. An extention of the pump cavity for longer gears?
amx39068 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx39068 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2009 at 8:58am

I was talking about the thick billet peice at the bottom of the pump. An extention of the pump cavity for longer gears?

That's the remote oil filter setup with two AN fittings for lines to the remote filter gizmo.  One fitting is for the out flow line and the other is for an inflow line.  It allows you to place the oil filter off the hot engine and install an oil cooler if you want one in addition to the remote oil filter adapter plate.  I also got one from Bulltear but opted not to use it.  It can also accomodate an external oil line from the oil pan if I recall correctly.
Dan Curtis-Owner and CEO AZ AMC Restorations; Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/amcmusclecars/ & Curtis Real Estate Development
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2009 at 9:31am

Yes - thus my comment on remote filter setup. Like he said above..........
TorqueyAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TorqueyAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2009 at 9:37am
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

I've often wondered if it would be worth the $65 to get my car on the chassis dyno.
Not expecting great things, but for that money, you get a baseline, and I think they said "3 passes" simulating a quarter mile run. Could also figure out just HOW too rich the thing is at the same time.

Bill,

For $65 it would be worth it. Just bring some stuff for your carb, some distributor weights and springs and tweak it. You will probably end up with a noticeable difference.
Pat D View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2009 at 9:54am
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

Would you elaborate more on your oiling system?

Yeah - hope he hooks up those hoses to the filter or it's gonna get really messy really fast.
Extra capacity pan, remote filter setup, ready to rock n roll.

Let us know how this turns out - photos of the actual run or a short clip would be fun.

Something to keep in mid re: dyno's- I was going to run my X on a local dyno in the fall, but there was 1 problem ...it was not a treadmill style, it was the type that bolts right to the rear hubs, and the AMX axle/hub assembly was too deep for the adapters the dyno place had. Basically, the axle shaft and nut sticks out too far from the face of the drum. Something to ask about before you drive all the way to the dyno guy.
Pat D
67 American 220 2 dr. sedan
70 AMX 390
Joppa, MD
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2009 at 10:06am
Rollers in the floor and the car is anchored to the floor. I've seen it as I drove back to their machine shop in the rear. They had a 57 Chebbie on it a couple weeks back.

This web page is old, the rates and such have changed, but it does show photos.

4015spdJavAMX View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4015spdJavAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2009 at 1:58am
Thanks for all the comments, I do realize that the engine dyno gives a particular set of results, and that the numbers will not be directly comparable to a chassis dyno results, or to AMC's factory ratings, be they SAE gross or net, etc. In the fullness of time, I plan to exercise this engine in the car on a chassis dyno, and to run it down the dragstrip a few times, then I'll have some % loss factors. It should be an informative journey, and I'll share what I learn. I have future plans to build an even hotter motor for a pure trackday Jav-AMX, hopefully we can all continue to share information to our mutual benefit. I learned a lot in researching the plan and parts for this motor, and a good percentage of that info came from this forum.

Check my post below for today's update on the dyno runs.

Edited by 4015spdJavAMX - May/07/2009 at 11:02am
1972 Jav-AMX 401 4-speed....T56 next?
1970 AMX 390 auto, now 5-speed
1970 AMX 390 4-speed, stock
4015spdJavAMX View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4015spdJavAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2009 at 2:41am
Today's update is that we solved various minor problems caused by 1) wrong parts and chasing replacements, 2) the need to fabricate something to generate belt tension on the two-pulley dyno setup, and 3) clearing initial flooding due to a stuck float. We got the engine running in the afternoon, and it has been broken in a bit, but the power pulls will have to wait until Friday or Saturday when I can get back over to watch. We also have a couple of minor oil leaks to chase, typical stuff for an initial startup. I attached some pictures of the setup from today, hopefully the oiling setup should be a lot clearer to folks from looking at the pictures. There is a restrictor in the drivers side oil galley, the plate at the bottom of the oil pump is the Bulltear 534 plate as others have noted, and the pump output is fed into the side of the block after going through the external filters (and a cooler when it gets into the car). Notice also that we have beaten Mr Bubblefender to market on a serpintine belt system, but it won't work if you need an alternator or power steering!!Wink (Look carefully between the pulleys on the passenger side).

I must say the engine sounds "the business", to borrow a British expression. Being in a dyno room with a 409 cubic inch V8 engine, even one just being broken in at light load is a very visceral experience.Angry Very cool and satisfying to see the beast come to life! Running it up a bit on the dyno, you can hear it flatten it's ears at about 4000 RPM....dang it sounds mean. For such a monster cam, it actually idles fairly smoothly at about 1000 RPM. My last AMX motor, with a somewhat milder hydraulic lifter cam, was much nastier at idle.

I'd hazard a guess based on what I saw today that more than 500 ft-lbs of torque is gonna be easy, we'll see about the 600 HP. More to follow.

Edited by 4015spdJavAMX - May/07/2009 at 11:05am
1972 Jav-AMX 401 4-speed....T56 next?
1970 AMX 390 auto, now 5-speed
1970 AMX 390 4-speed, stock
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 43>
  Share Topic