TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Dynamic Compression Ratio Calculator

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dynamic Compression Ratio Calculator
    Posted: Aug/23/2014 at 8:10pm
I just spent the last three hours of my life using every DCR calculator I could find on the web to check how a 401 would react with one of the milder Crane roller hydraulics that a member was kind enough to recommend.  Was shooting for around 8.1 or so DCR for 87 octane gas.  Of the six or so that I tried, none of them came up with the same answer when given the same inputs.  Varied from high to low by nearly a full point.  I thought (assumed?) that this was a mature, verifiable approach.  So......what gives?  Anyone have any thoughts?  Recommendations?

:confused:
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2014 at 8:16pm
Gremlin Dreams
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2014 at 9:50pm
I played around with Summit's calculator. Amazing how much the gasket thickness can effect c.r. What was the AMC head gasket thickness on a 1968 390? Also, what was the effective dome volume? I used a hit-and-miss method and came up with 15.8 cc for effective dome volume. And, .045" for deck clearance to get a c.r. of 10.2:1
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2014 at 10:15pm
I like to set the quench at .035-.040
Todays gaskets seem to go .04 thick.
I pulled down a couple of AMC's back then.
I can not remember what they had, but were they not steel shim?

Gremlin Dreams
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2014 at 6:50am
Originally posted by Boris Badanov Boris Badanov wrote:

http://www.summitracing.com/expertadviceandnews/calcsandtools/Compression-Calculator/
This one is correct.

That's correct for static compression ratio, couldn't find anything for dynamic compression ratio on Summit's site.
Roger Gazur
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
tsanchez View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2014 at 8:46am
When it asks for timing figures it's actual closing not at .050
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2014 at 8:59am
Originally posted by tsanchez tsanchez wrote:

When it asks for timing figures it's actual closing not at .050

Tony, some actually ask for the timing figure @ 0.050.  Some ask for advertised duration and lobe separation.  Then you get the ones using the @ 0.050 approach that recommend adding 15 degrees or 25 degrees to the @ 0.050 value!  One would think that if you provided consistent inputs, you would get comparable outputs.  Haven't found that yet.

I am just trying to develop an engine combination that will run on the horse urine that is called 87 octane and get the most dependable power possible.  I could easily just build an 8:1 ratio motor that would probably run on kerosene but I think I'd be leaving a lot of potential unused capability on the table.  I could also build a 10:1 motor that would sound like a marimba band at WOT and last as long as a good drunk.

Just trying to find the best combo.  :shruggy:
Roger Gazur
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2014 at 9:11am
One thing to remember is there is nothing "dynamic" about those calculators. They just factor static for the valve closing point. That really has very little to do with octane requirement; it's way more complicated than that.

IMO it is only valuable if you have a database of similar engines to be able to see a trend. And using "accepted" values for a sbc may be misleading.

I do not use dynamic compression ratio at all, as a matter of fact for street performance I've found compression to be almost the least important factor. To artificially try to run a higher ratio by screwing up the combination tend to be much less effective than the correct combination and then the compression to match. Remember how little is gained by compression, about 2% per full point depending. You will lose way more than that with an incorrect cam.
gremlinsteve View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlinsteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2014 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by Ken_Parkman Ken_Parkman wrote:

One thing to remember is there is nothing "dynamic" about those calculators. They just factor static for the valve closing point. That really has very little to do with octane requirement; it's way more complicated than that.

IMO it is only valuable if you have a database of similar engines to be able to see a trend. And using "accepted" values for a sbc may be misleading.

I do not use dynamic compression ratio at all, as a matter of fact for street performance I've found compression to be almost the least important factor. To artificially try to run a higher ratio by screwing up the combination tend to be much less effective than the correct combination and then the compression to match. Remember how little is gained by compression, about 2% per full point depending. You will lose way more than that with an incorrect cam.

At last some one. Who understands that the cam choice is critical desicion in the process.

Steve
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/24/2014 at 7:04pm
Okay, I'll call Crane tech service tomorrow but quite frankly I don't expect much.

:luck:
Roger Gazur
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic